Karthus Lore is now FUBAR

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lagginator

10-17-2012

http://promo.leagueoflegends.com/sha...l#karthus-lore

This is the worst butchering of your own lore yet. Karthus was one of the characters who was most fleshed out through the JoJ's. He was painted as a tragic figure who made great sacrifices in the past and it was hinted that he guarded something sinister deep within the swamp.

Now he's just some nutjob who wants to spread death for the sole reason of getting his jollies off. The name "Karthus" (coming from "catharsis") doesn't even make sense any more. He has no reason to be angry, or vengeful, he got exactly what he most desired!

why are you doing this, Riot?

Raseven

10-17-2012

Seriously, tying Karthus to the Shadow Isles instead of the Marsh... why?

Alex3omg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagginator View Post
why are you doing this, Riot?
That is the question of the year, isn't it.

Lore nerfs for everyone! Honestly I don't even read the new champion lore because why should I? It's consistently terrible. If I wanted to read poorly written backstories about awfully constructed characters I would go to, idk, deviantART or fanfiction.net or whatever.

I wish they would at the very least leave old canon as it is instead of trying to update it. Add to it, don't change it. Who does that, really? :/ This is embarrassing. It's now at the point where if I introduced someone to the game I'd have to say "hehe yea man the 'lore' is just a bad excuse plot ignore it, it's still a fun game..."

Lanceress

10-17-2012

I have to agree with this. When I first read the lore of Karthus, I was like ok hes from this area of valoran and is a lich.

After reading the new info on the promo website im like, he went to the shadow isles to become a lich and then went back to valoran to control the swamps? Why is he in the swamps?

The promo info doesnt really connect with the past lore and JoJ entries. Does Riot know what they are writing doesnt connect well?

I found the past lores of characters to be a lot more interesting and exciting than the new ones now. Like Karthus volunteers to be part of the institute of war but he doesnt explain why and like keeps it secretive. Same with Jax, where he was the only champion to not have to do the tests and was automatically admitted. I like these secretive ideas more than like say Draven, where he just wants to be known as the valoran's best executioner

Grand Viper

10-17-2012

No. Karthus is not a part of the Shadow Isles. That's just...No. I liked him being mysterious. I liked the implications, I was fine with him being mysterious, I liked how the JoJ developed him.

Mordekaiser's new lore is cool, but it still didn't need to be touched.

And someone for the love of God, tell me why Riven is making any comment on Elise? Seriously, why Riven?

Aries L Thunder

10-17-2012

I'm not a fan of Karthus' new lore either. I liked the original because I remember because it didn't neccesarily paint him as 100% evil or creepy. I mean, he decided to be a volunteer!

However, the new lore just seems much more expected of a lich character. Riot always talks about how they don't want to be generic and then they do something like this?

webbut

10-17-2012

There is nothing in his old lore that is particularly broken by the new information on him and I like it as supplement to his Lore( i say his lore because his lore in game remains the same)

Lacriga

10-17-2012

Bump.

Why must liches always be chaotic evil? Why not have an affable amoral undead for once?

AskKarthus

10-17-2012

For the most part, the new lore makes more sense with whatever Riot is trying to do, which is why they did it, and its a general improvement in that he actually has motivation. Is it the best rework they can do? No, but it what they need to do. Honestly, they should have made an addition to his lore instead of an etire redo, but the redo isn't bad.

Grand Viper

10-17-2012

Karthus, man, I'm sorry but I gotta post this from the JoJ:

“So...would you be so kind to tell me something about Karthus’s pre-lich life and, perhaps, about his political (or whatever else) ambitions? It is also very interesting to know about Karthus’s connection to music, as he is famous for singing some deadly ballads at Howling Marsh, not to mention his nickname. I am sure that official dossier on Karthus don’t correspondent to the true facts that are in the Institute of War disposal.” -Loyso, Dark Arts researcher

Unfortunately, we don’t know much more about the lich than you do. He is something of a recluse, and his past isn’t a matter of public record. I did pull him aside after a recent League match to see if he would lend any further insight. The answer he gave was as cryptic as his past, though perhaps more illuminating than anything else we’ve heard.

“In life, there was one worth singing for forever. I have kept my promise, though to some now the song is not as lovely as it was once meant to be.”

Tell me that is not more interesting and more of a chin scratcher as to what his motivations are, compared to "Death...mmmm....Mmmm! Mm! Mm, mm! Yes, death!"