I want to make Champions for League of Legends

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Izzabelle

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploki122 View Post
Honestly, I hadn't thought about him using its tail to fight until I read your post... The tail right now is pretty small and light, making it look frail. I think you could convey that feeling better if you made the tail slightly longer and/or made the tail end in a mace-like fashion (with only the big end giving out light), a bit like this, depending on whether the tail is made for hitting or grabbing.
I can't do this for reasons... which light will be shed upon a little later. :X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimrra3 View Post
These are pretty cool. I'm much in the same position you are but a little further down the road - finished degree, need to brush up on some sort of portfolio so Riot will love me when I apply for something, etc. Oh and I'm more inclined towards skill sets and balance than art/lore (which is not to say I'm terrible, just limited mostly to drawing dragons). I do like how you're intentionally trying to fill gaps, it does get hard when there are over 100 champs to work around.

Reading prior posts on this page, I think I may have a very basic idea to help with Waitomo (and any other sketch with similar issues), which is essentially to make bits of him more distinctive. i.e., without reading the lore, I would not have figured out that he had three tails. Or that the one larger tail might be of real use in some fashion. Going back to Skarner again, we can immediately figure out that he's going to use his claws and his tail, just by looking at him.

So you could either make the tail/s more prominent in general, or sketch him in a pose (other than just standing there) that emphasizes them, which Riot tends to do with their splash art - although judging by your earlier sketches this may be going outside of your comfort zone - or someone with more artistic direction than myself could chip in here. Either way, what I'm getting from Waitomo at the moment is largely an aura of mystery.

Ah yes. You've suggested that he would run on all fours, but drew him this way so that we'd get a better look at him - but if he was on all fours, we'd see what he's really like in the eye of the creator (this being you obviously), and we might also have a better view of those other tails and possibly what they might be used for.
The splash approach is actually something I'm coming up on... but for me, the digital paintings of this quality take (at least) 15+ hours to complete. And I just don't have the time between work to get them out quickly (but they're coming, and they looks good).

In the revision, I'll draw Waitomo on all fours, he's a little scarier that way anyways -- and I'll put even more emphasis on the tails.

Izzabelle

12-05-2012

Tomorrow I have the day off. I'm going to push a new champ, a revision, and maybe -- just maybe -- the first of the high quality images.

Izzabelle

12-05-2012

ruh roh Rhaggy. stuff incoming for tonight... stay tuned, up in a few hours.

Izzabelle

12-05-2012

forums moving pretty fast tonight

Izzabelle

12-06-2012

I added the Katsumi render!!!

Chaindawgz

12-06-2012

Favourites are Quinn, Murdok, and Clare

Izzabelle

12-06-2012

glad you like em

Graven

12-06-2012

I gotta say those are pretty good(although i'm far from being an artist, so my opinion might not be too relevant).

Keep the good work, i hope you achieve success with your work.

Mikhal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2012

Wow, these are awesome. You should make a skillset + stats just to add more creativity to your awesome art :3!

ALEXKOND

12-06-2012

Awesome art you have, and really nice concepts. Would you consider doing some renders of Angus the puncher? I would love to see that champion on high quality renders