I want to make Champions for League of Legends

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Izzabelle

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsmapizza View Post
Hi again Izzabelle,

After reading your post and rereading your rules as well, I kinda feel silly about focusing so much on lore. I'll try to focus more on the design this time. I'm gonna talk a bit about Katsumi this time because I'm a bit tired right now and I don't want to attempt to talk about 5 different champ concepts >.<

Honestly, Katsumi doesn't look like an assassin at all and from your description of her kit, it seems you want her to be a fighter because it sounds like all her skills seem to be like 1 part of a broken wings cast. Like do you press q and you move some what and do an effect and then you follow up with two other spell casts which have different effects based on the previous spell cast?

From what I understand of invoker's kit, it's basically like having 3 runes which are on the qwe keys and once cast a combination of those 3 spells, you then cast r to "invoke" a certain spell which is put on some key. So basically, the base kit is to create spells and one has to chose which combination of spells one would need at a certain time to function. Personally, I would check out the dota2 invoker spotlight on youtube because I think that video does a good job of showing what invoker does.

In any case, I feel like Katsumi's current design is more ronin like than assassin like. When I first looked at Katsumi's art I thought that she was a fighter rather than assassin and so when I read the description I was naturally confused at what you were trying to convey in this concept. If you want to make Katsumi an assassin you should probably make Katsumi's outfit a bit stealthier like having places to hide weapons and move quickly and give her a weapon that could be hidden or mistaken for a piece of her attire. If you want to make her a fighter type character keep the katana, but give her baggier/comfortable clothes that makes her seem like an ionian blade dancer.
She's an assassin as opposed to a fighter because, as the art indicates, she's smaller and young, she can't take the hits fighters can. I used the term assassin in it's relation to League as well -- she's kind of bursty in her damage, you don't want to 1v1 her; I don't mean that she's a ninja really. Ronin is indeed the archetype I wanted to fill, as I don't believe Master Yi correctly fills that role so much as he fills other tropes.

I also wanted to push her away from stealthy -- which I think is something that has a negative cliche attached to it. So instead, she's more like Twilight Sazuka from Outlaw Star, if you've ever seen that Anime. Basically, she's an obvious assassin with enough skill to not have to be stealthy.

Her skills are also FAST. She's a blur. QQQ -- or whatever combo you want, is almost as fast as you can hit the keys. I really pushed a kit this time around because I wanted people to think that this was a character they could rush in with, and combo in the blink of an eye, and be rewarded for combo'ing correctly given the situation. The "quick combo slash" comes from Samurai battle tropes. One movement, 3 slashes, 1/2 a second -- that's the mentality of Katsumi.

Blazing Dynamo

11-20-2012

iv fallen in love

AtomRod

11-20-2012

As much as I'm digging this guy's stuff and this thread, I can't help but feel bad knowing that riot probably won't even give this guy an interview. I hope I'm wrong though, he's certainly worthy.

Izzabelle

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomRod View Post
As much as I'm digging this guy's stuff and this thread, I can't help but feel bad knowing that riot probably won't even give this guy an interview. I hope I'm wrong though, he's certainly worthy.
Thanks, man. This means a lot. I want to get a lot more dev feed back so I can curve my work in the right direction before I start building a portfolio to send them.

With any luck, they'll consider me as part of the Riot Team, and my dream will someday be fulfilled.

yay dreams!

Totally Blind

11-20-2012

I really, really like how Quinn sounds and looks! Please, keep up your great work!

PootisPoot

11-20-2012

Hey you, it seems like Katsumi would be a good hybrid champ, not only that but she could very well rule the jungle if one of her combos gave her sustain....

Castor and Pollux- LOVE, you should refine the idea a bit more on them, they seem the most promising along with katsumi

Darthak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2012

Scheele looks like a total badass. League is certainly in need of a darker support, especially one with such an intimidating look.

Izzabelle

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PootisPoot View Post
Castor and Pollux- LOVE, you should refine the idea a bit more on them
They're on the docket
I have big plans for these little Yordles in the near future.

YuSira

11-20-2012

To me, Claire seems a lot more of a preppy happy girl in her appearance

lightning87

11-20-2012

fantastic