Is it blasphemy to suggest a way of not losing ELO if you lose a game?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BillyDiesel

11-04-2012

It can't be beyond the wit of the Riot team to create something like this.

With the advent of the honor system, it got me thinking that, yes, its nice to be rewarded for good sportsmanship, win or lose, but honestly, all i really want is ELO.

Why can't something like this be devised? is it simply because how would you determine who "doesn't deserve to lose elo"? Because i have a feeling that Riot would have no trouble figuring out and regulating a good method for determining that.

This is coming from a person that time and time again loses games he didn't deserve to.

Also, for the record, it IS an elitist position to simply say "you belong where you are" and " if you lost you contributed to the loss"

Ozball

11-04-2012

While I think it might be in theory possible it would cause a lot of issues as well. How would you determine who doesn't deserve to lose Elo? Those with the highest KDA? Then you get people compeating for kills etc in games just so they don't lose Elo if they lose, rather than giving the carries kill to get them fed etc. Those with the highest gold? You then end up with people randomly farming to get their gold count up rather than pushing objectives when they should be.

Basically it would cause people to stop playing the game with their team and focus purely on not losing Elo on the off chance they lose.

Ferr3t

11-04-2012

I think that if someone on a losing team gets reported for AFKing, leaving or trolling and the tribunal rules against that person, everyone else on the team should get back the ELO they lost. If you're losing a game not because your team was bad but because one person put you at a disadvantage, you shouldn't be punished.

I also think they should replace the ELO system on solo/duo queue, which was designed specifically for single player games where everything was about your personal skill and luck and not that of a randomly created team. But then that's just me.

Selcopa

11-05-2012

Billy. Its not a matter of wit, it's a game theory issue.

The simple fact is that you cannot create a mechanical system to award "skill" or the representation of skill through anything other than a straight win. This is why professional sports organizations have networks of farm teams and scouts globally searching for talent

If you could incorporate moderators to watch every match unbiased. Maybe you could add that idea but its just unnecessary.

The thing here is we gotta look at perspective. At any elo bracket. You will have players who can compete at a slightly higher level. And some who are a little over their head. However until you are about 2k maybe 2.1k elo (season 2 numbers) there are too many things you could be working on that it's just unnecessary. The ranges are just too small. There are no gold players stuck in bronze. Even at high elo the ones stuck at 2100 are still probably less creative than the 2500s. The only difference is they start becoming much more team synergy qualities that become valuable over diverse skills needed to reach nosebleed elo