I'm not a fan of the item shop interface.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TalLavi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Very nice video, I really think this shop will be hard on new players.
For example, how are they even supposed to know Shurelia exists?
The need to click each and every item and see what it builds into and what that builds into and then read everything?

The Idea is amazingly good for people who have experience with the game, and I really like the idea of setting your own recommended items and hot keying them as well as the left side tab with all the unique items and consumables, major time savor and you can finish shopping in 3 seconds instead of the 20+ it can take now if you are playing support for example.

Splinterheart

11-06-2012

Would it be worth it to make a store tab that allows you to make custom builds? Like storing mastery pages - Labelled e.g. AD carry, AP carry, Bruiser. etc. So you save the items you would use on your AD carry into once place.
So steps:
Open Store
Click Custom AD CARRY Tab
Select from the items you put in it - IE BT LW BC GA QSS BV PD TF Dorans, Pots, Wards.

Qsario

11-06-2012

Wow, lots of shop redesigns lately. I know I posted a mockup a week or so ago, too. Personally what I really want most are category quick links. Yes, we have the breadcrumbs and a home button, but I don't want to have to click on 'home' ever. I want all of the links in home to be tabs that I can select. I put them down the left side in my mockup. And I agree with adding a special section for GP10s / Aura items (why yes, I do main support...).

I also really agree with those who have suggested making it so that consumables (or at least wards) are always right there on the shop screen and with having extra recommended items. More is better, especially because there's an API and I found out that we can have external programs change which items are which.

I put a search into my mockup too; it's a good idea for when you forget where, say, wriggle's lantern is.

Kinrui

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2012

I really love the idea of changing your recommended items based on champ. Especially at the start, allowing for quick selection of starting items you'd expect to see a lot more aggression and shenanigans in the jungle. One day for fun i wouldn't mind seeing a custom game option of changing shop selection, starting gold, and starting level. friends would have a fun time messing around on the rift starting with a full build at lv 1 and teams could also practice late game compositions. although i imagine it would be used more for fun than anything.

lunaKitten

11-08-2012

I'd really really like to see a way to 'favourite' an item and have a tab for my fav'd items, I think that would help a lot

Qsario

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberfungi View Post
I really love the idea of changing your recommended items based on champ. Especially at the start, allowing for quick selection of starting items you'd expect to see a lot more aggression and shenanigans in the jungle. One day for fun i wouldn't mind seeing a custom game option of changing shop selection, starting gold, and starting level. friends would have a fun time messing around on the rift starting with a full build at lv 1 and teams could also practice late game compositions. although i imagine it would be used more for fun than anything.
There are programs to do this already, BTW, that interact with an official Riot API.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...d.php?t=145862

That said, it would be nice to be able to do this in game.

Invisibleally

11-10-2012

Has an 'item-tree' interface been considered in order to allow players to see all the items at once?

I also like this idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomke View Post
I'd really really like to see a way to 'favourite' an item and have a tab for my fav'd items, I think that would help a lot

Man that would be nice.

firexemblem

11-11-2012

they should add a new tab for all aura items

firexemblem

11-12-2012

bump

Jrud

11-12-2012

I design User Interfaces for a living for a software development company, and if I might make a few suggestions for design concepts that make the shop more quickly navigable:

1. Get rid of the drill-down to access the different sub-menus of the shop. If there are 5 categories under magic, then just put five small buttons on the home screen and group them with an outline or something. Clicking into a drill-down menu system means extra clicks and adds additional time the user must spend reading category names. Your core userbase is young people with good eyesight and dexterity with a mouse, so take advantage of it.

2. You need to be able to switch and save the default ordering of the items in the category lists. When I look through the item list in a category, I'm looking for an item that gives me the best bonus in the particular stat that I clicked on, reguardless of how much money it costs so I can build to it. Other users may care about the order by price, but it doesn't do anything for me personaly. For % vs #, make a grouping divider that visually separates them and label the groups plainly.

3. Don't show items that you can't buy ever throughout the course of that game. If an item is specifically for twisted treeline or dominion, don't show it at all on summoners rift. Showing options that will never become available confuses a user and makes them wonder why they aren't available, and in this case, that confusion means many seconds off of the field. Also, this increases the size of the page and makes scrolling to 2/3 the way down to get to the best items rather than just all the way (adding to the precision required to use the categories)

4. Make use of some kind of visual cue for which items have auras or other unique abilities that a user might want to be drawn to. You can use a colored border or some kind of in-image icon or something more creative, doesn't matter, but it would be nice to see.

I am also a fan of the favorites idea, and the auto-buy queue, those would be really cool, but they are of course more complicated to implement, and they may add exess complexity to the shop if not implemented in a seemless user friendly way.

I like the idea of filters as well as sometimes I'm looking for an item that adds AP and HP at the same time, and filtering by those two categories quickly would be really helpful.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a factor in your decisions, but perhaps making it take a couple of seconds to navigate the shop to buy something is intentional as part of the gameplay experience... I'm not sure about that, but I'm sure that you strive to keep the shop navigation speed about even between new users and experienced users.