I'm not a fan of the item shop interface.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TwistWrist

11-05-2012

While the item shop isn't the worst one out, there is still room for improvement.

I made a video of ideas that I think will make it better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBd7bzkQJE

The summary of the important points if you don't want to watch the video.

1. 1. Filter items by basic items and what they build into, not by the stats.
  2. 2. Search bar for finding items by name.
  3. 3. Consumables should always be shown in the store. As in, shouldn't have to pick through the interface to find them so they should be able to bought from any part of the store.
  4. 4. Should have a way to change recommended items from the store (and also in client but I forgot to put that in my video).

Also, have a Gif to highlight the key features.

Any thoughts or opinions?

boourns

UI Designer

11-05-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I swear I thought I was going to get rick-rolled when I clicked that youtube link.

Thanks for taking the time to make a video with such detailed feedback. Some interesting ideas here and some that have been discussed a bunch in the forums (search, consumables).

I like some of the stuff you have with showing stats on items in the list. It's pretty interesting, although I think we need to do a much better job of explaining what stats mean.

Having more than 6 recommended items is a good idea. I think you could go farther than what you have though, since you don't always want to show a linear build order, but I think you've gone in a decent direction.

My feedback for improvements on your design would relate primarily to your method of navigating through items. I think you have correctly identified the problem. It seems like you've gone down the route of making "builds into" expanded and the primary way you navigate through the item list. This is highly problematic because it requires players to have good knowledge of all the items and their components. For experienced players, like you, this is how a lot of us find a lot of items. For new or intermediate players it will be very difficult for them to find suitable items, especially where for a lot of top tier items, the unique effects are the most desirable thing.

I recommend going back and considering how someone finds something that has the attributes of shurelia's without knowing the name or knowing that it is a thing that builds off of regrowth pendant/fairie charm/health crystal. Search is great, but not a universal solution to this problem. What you are proposing makes it even more difficult to discover suitable items, which I think is a big problem with the current item shop already.

Xanthus730

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2012

Give this man ALL the upvotes.

Pushover

11-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
I recommend going back and considering how someone finds something that has the attributes of shurelia's without knowing the name or knowing that it is a thing that builds off of regrowth pendant/fairie charm/health crystal. Search is great, but not a universal solution to this problem. What you are proposing makes it even more difficult to discover suitable items, which I think is a big problem with the current item shop already.
Couldn't there be specific searches that return categories as they currently exist, such as the search for 'health' returns all the items that provide health. 'cdr' or 'cooldown reduction' could provide a list of all the items that have cdr. That way you can use the search to find suitable items.

That being said there are still problems with this method, namely that it would still take time to figure out what you want after searching, and if searching is the only way to find the item, it might be improved in another way.

The Star of Hope

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-05-2012

I like the use of coloured borders to distinguish items, perhaps these could even be multicoloured borders indicating a combination of, physical offence (red), magical offence (blue), defence (green), and utility (yellow).

Quote:
For new or intermediate players it will be very difficult for them to find suitable items, especially where for a lot of top tier items, the unique effects are the most desirable thing.
Perhaps a means of expanding the recomended items, so as to display a full page of items suitable for the current champion in greater detail, could address this? If such a page was the default for the right hand side of the shop the first time it's opened, then it might work as a starting point for new players to explore the items available without overwhelming them with suboptiomal options.

Amariithynar

11-05-2012

I really like the execution of this, and it can start with the same basic two selection screens of defense/attack/magic/movement (no consumable because they're off on the side) into their submenus just like the current format is, clicking an item then goes into the "this builds into" format and so on.
In regards to recommended builds, a Riot recommended build and a second tab to save your own personalized build would be best, with little tags attached to temporary slots like dorans to show noobs what to swap out when the time comes, and which are recommended as situational items.

TwistWrist

11-05-2012

Quote:
I like some of the stuff you have with showing stats on items in the list. It's pretty interesting, although I think we need to do a much better job of explaining what stats mean.
Yes, I do think the store has to display stats easier for browsing but really not sure how to do it. Some items like Trinity Force, Shurelya's, and Will of the Ancient are incredibly hard to understand without third-party resources.

Quote:
My feedback for improvements on your design would relate primarily to your method of navigating through items. I think you have correctly identified the problem. It seems like you've gone down the route of making "builds into" expanded and the primary way you navigate through the item list. This is highly problematic because it requires players to have good knowledge of all the items and their components. For experienced players, like you, this is how a lot of us find a lot of items. For new or intermediate players it will be very difficult for them to find suitable items, especially where for a lot of top tier items, the unique effects are the most desirable thing.
Hmm, my item filtering method does seem like an idea that people either hate or love.

When it comes to allowing players to explore all the items, yeah, it isn't great. When it comes to finding items quickly when you are experienced, it is better.

Some people have commented to have the store change between a beginner store or an advanced store depending on an option in the game config.

Maybe that is the proper path because I'm not sure a one-size-fits-all solution is possible.

But it would still need an awesome way to present the store to new players while not taking too much time. Don't want them tag for being AFK in spawn.

At the same time, it would still need to explain the weirdness of spell vamp, things that proc Rylai (and which type of Rylai slow), and all the hard/soft caps.

That seems rather hard actually especially since I'm a player that prefers to read up third-party resources when learning a game.

I assume that you'd be against that from a UI design point-of-view? You don't want to assume the players will do any extra reading on their own.

As for rickrolling you, why would I ever do that?

You know the rules and so do I.

edit:

Aha, I just had an idea about how to explain the weirder stats and effects like Rylai slow, Sheen procs, Spell vamp, and stuff like that.

Inherently, if you are looking at the ingame store, you are already ingame and picked your champ. Maybe it would be possible to dynamically create an item description for that champ. For example, assume you are playing Teemo. Frozen Mallet's description would say it applies a 30% slow to ranged autoattacks (and not the melee thing since Teemo has no melee). Rylai can state somewhere that it only applies to Teemo's Q and ultimate. Maybe even calculate the flat slow percentage increase after factoring how AoE Rylai slow is applied after mushroom slow. Spell vamp can state it applies 100% to Teemo's Q and 33% to Teemo's mushroom.

Or something along those lines...would still need to flesh it all out.

Nicksiren

11-05-2012

Good job and nicely presented. I approve of most of your changes, however the Red does bring up some great points. The changes aren't perfect.

godmarck

11-05-2012

Great job, I always thought that we need hotkeys to buy items.

There are times when you want to go back to base and buy as fast as you can and GTFO and go into that teamfight that just started at your base, and you can't do it really fast the way it is now.

Another thing that could be added is QUEUE BUYING.

IE: while you're in lane you click the items you are gonna get later, and when you bluepill it just buys it for you, that would be ****ing great!
(say you're sona and you decide the first thing you wanna buy is a Philo Stone, so you press P while in lane click to QUEUE the Philo Stone, and it buys it when you hit the base)

AisuKami

11-05-2012

Good ideas, but boourns brings up a good point. The shop needs to be noob friendly before they can focus on making it easier for us.

The main thing that I noticed starting out (and still do when playing roles I don't normally do) is how the categories are flooded with basic items. When I want an HP item I really don't need to see the red buff potion. Having all the items there is fine if they are sorted, but as it is I have to sort through all the first tier stuff which takes a lot of time if you don't know the items.

I think it might be a bit too many categories, but maybe think about sorting based on role. Support, assassin, tank, that sort of thing. I do agree that the store needs work though. Glad to see Riot has someone dedicated to UI!