The Crossroads - Chapter One: Be afraid of the Dark.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

muggtonp

11-16-2012

Cruciatus strides up to the tree, raising his hand to touch it. Before he does, he hesitates. What was that odd presence? He felt some strange force around him in the ground, in the air. He shakes his head, trying to clear it.

"Probably just the toxins again," he mumbles.

Cruciatus crosses his legs and sits down in front of the tree, just out of arm's length. He draws a breath and places his hands palms up on his knees. With this, his senses would be greatly increased and he would soon begin to look for traces of these shadows Darkeye had spoke of... as well as the presence he had felt not long before.

((Interrupt you? I would never do such a thing.))

Necromonger

11-16-2012

Being led outside, the reporter was taken in by the view. As good as home, if it was located anywhere else. Lizzie lent her hextech devices to the search, giving the arcane seekers a techmatheurgical addition. She puts on her mask and switches her glasses between a few vision modes, checking infrared, ultraviolet, and magical detection.

“...”

She also had a flashlight if the grounds weren’t sufficiently illuminated. She excuses herself as she got near Elysia, working on her own search with what senses she possessed.

“...”

A faint whisper, more easily detectable but by those of magical nature than a martial artist like Lizzie, seemed to emanate from her blade. It was most obscure, but it reacted to the land. The sword seemed anxious being here.

“Well, from what I can see, there really are no physical traces or evidence of the area being tampered with. If we could...”

“...!” Lizzie was cut off when, mysteriously her sword strap broke off and landed near the Yordle summoner as she was concluding. The sword whispered in ancient Ionian, in the faintest voice that one would strain to hear it. But the words were not for the living to hear- as it fell, the sword unsheathed a moment, and requested the spirits of the place to share its secrets, before Lizzie very quickly recovers it. It was impatient with Lizzie, spending time on this...trivial matter.

“I’m so sorry! The old leather strap must have given.” She said, unable to hear the words herself. She snapped off a foot of string and tied her sword shut with a knot, to prevent it from falling out.

Luparis

11-17-2012

As the mercenaries gathered, questioning Lord Darkeye of his ability to conduct a proper search and his dedication to finding his beloved - he stifled his rebuttles. He ignored them, for the most part.. as he felt slightly weak. Odd.

As the little Yordle, much more little in comparison to other Yordle's began her spell, a voice spoke in the non-existent wind. "Your domain, little one...?" It spoke in a voice eerily similar to that of the Champion Nocturne. One of the mercenaries dropped to the ground without warning, convulshing, shaking violently on the ground as he attempted to stifles his screams of pain. "This is the domain of Nertazan, of the dead and the shadows."

The eyes of the man began to bleed, then his mouth and ears. The archer ran to assist him, trying to see the problem and seeing nothing. He was shouting at Darkeye for assistance, for a healer, but the Lord just watched in silent awe. His eyes were wide, but not with fear.

"Nertazan...." He muttered under his breath. As the name was spoken, the man ceased his convulsions. A shadow spread beneath him and as it did so,vhis blood fell from his lips into the growing darkness. Immediately, the shadow twisted, lifted into the air in three dimensions, taking shape and turning crimson. "Crimson shadows...! Back, back!" Magnus roared, throwing back his coat and unsheathing his broad sword.

Again, the archer spoke. "Lord, what is this creature!" The crimson shadow hovered slightly above the ground, legless, faceless apart from a large mouth with jagged teeth. Its hands were large, bloody fingers elongated and bladed.

"Death beckons you, come feel his embrace, mortals." It hissed as it flourished its claws at Darkeye.

Luparis

11-17-2012

((ahem bump.))

Necromonger

11-17-2012

Lizzie, like any good mercenary, interposed between Darkeye and the malevolent being. "Back off, ugly."

She had very little experience with truly supernatural foes, but her instinct chided her to act without effort or thought- her hand drew a pair of shuriken and she tossed them with expected accuracy. She had a feeling it wouldn't work, but she was eager to test the thing's capabilities first.

"..." The blade struggled and moaned, speaking with a distant arcane voice that its current wielder could not hear. "...Use me..." it said, again and again, frustrated to no end that its only authorized user could not perceive its will. Conversely, the sword knew very well that spirit could hear it very well, and the weapon was a very efficient tool at harming- and eventually subjugating spirits.

Grand Viper

11-17-2012

"A creemson shadow." The woman was not surprised nor shocked as she droned on her explanation, "A being who ees made from ze lifeforce of people. Zere is darkness in everyzing and everyone, eet only makes sense zat ze shadows can come from wizin as vell."

The mercenary's hands started to weave in the air, shadow and dark flowing to her fingertips. A shade could be seen materializing from her conjurations, "Zere is nozing to fear, except vat you do not understand."

So true.

Her conjured shadow rose up and launched itself at the crimson shade as she continued speaking, "Do not let eet vound you or else ve are in more trouble zen we currently are."

muggtonp

11-18-2012

As he hears the shouting coming from behind him, Cruciatus's eyes snap open. From his sitting position, he executes a flawless spin on his behind, legs whirling around in the air in the manner of a breakdancer. His momentum carries him up onto his feet. That was quite a smooth move, he thought to himself. A shame nobody was around to witness it. He turned around and began running towards the disturbance.

"What was that? I heard shouting-" His voice cuts off as he sees the shadow. "Oh."

However, as he was behind the creature, it seemed to him as though its attention was currently on Darkeye and the other mercenaries. Ideally it would stay that way. Cruciatus took a breath and began to channel. Hopefully his attacks, despite their physical nature, would still have some sort of effect on the ethereal being.

leirynot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-18-2012

Takuma looked at the creature for a moment, then pulled out his whip and quickly changed the small wire on the tip to one made of a silver alloy, hopefully that would make it more likely to harm the creature. With a flick, he uncoiled it, then lashed at the creature, the piece of silver flying through it faster than the speed of sound. If the silver was capable of harming the thing, it surely would.

((Surprise! I'm back! Thanks for taking it slow, folks I will have slow responses because for some reason my teachers want me to hand in homework the day I get back even though I was on a school trip and didn't have time to work on it. And the student handbook states, that from the time I get back to school, I have 1 day for every day I missed to complete missing work Also, pneumonia sucks.))

AskKarthus

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luparis View Post
As the mercenaries gathered, questioning Lord Darkeye of his ability to conduct a proper search and his dedication to finding his beloved - he stifled his rebuttles. He ignored them, for the most part.. as he felt slightly weak. Odd.

As the little Yordle, much more little in comparison to other Yordle's began her spell, a voice spoke in the non-existent wind. "Your domain, little one...?" It spoke in a voice eerily similar to that of the Champion Nocturne. One of the mercenaries dropped to the ground without warning, convulshing, shaking violently on the ground as he attempted to stifles his screams of pain. "This is the domain of Nertazan, of the dead and the shadows."

The eyes of the man began to bleed, then his mouth and ears. The archer ran to assist him, trying to see the problem and seeing nothing. He was shouting at Darkeye for assistance, for a healer, but the Lord just watched in silent awe. His eyes were wide, but not with fear.

"Nertazan...." He muttered under his breath. As the name was spoken, the man ceased his convulsions. A shadow spread beneath him and as it did so,vhis blood fell from his lips into the growing darkness. Immediately, the shadow twisted, lifted into the air in three dimensions, taking shape and turning crimson. "Crimson shadows...! Back, back!" Magnus roared, throwing back his coat and unsheathing his broad sword.

Again, the archer spoke. "Lord, what is this creature!" The crimson shadow hovered slightly above the ground, legless, faceless apart from a large mouth with jagged teeth. Its hands were large, bloody fingers elongated and bladed.

"Death beckons you, come feel his embrace, mortals." It hissed as it flourished its claws at Darkeye.
Karthus observes the being for a moment. "Hello, foolish shadow," Karthus said to the creature, "Life is demanding you leave its presence. I hope you comply, I would hate to have blood be spilled, that is, if you can bleed."

ElMelloi

11-18-2012

Elysia, upon hearing the voice, was visibly startled at her own stupidity. That would make the second mistake she made, to not set up a basic (at least) magical defense before attempting to cast a ritual like that on the soil of the Shadow Isles. Confident that the creature could have killed her without giving the tiny yordle a chance to blink, she fled her circle with haste when she heard the creature's voice, initially uncertain of its nature, settling herself in a position between Lizzie and Darkeye.

The little yordle, while she was thinking about what her next course of action would be, ceased her thoughts when an as-yet-unnamed mercenary began her short explanation. A "crimson shadow," as it was called, seems to be an artificial construct. If the "material" used to make it was the life force of others... whom had created this monstrosity and why? Is it this "Nertazan" that the shade mentioned?

The mercenary made it clear that the group must not let themselves be harmed by the creature. This is where the little Flame-Head comes in, for abjuration is one of her specialties.

"E G L K T UM DE F R Y B T S A H M F," she began to chant faster than Teemo could take even two steps. When it comes to this sort of magic, most incantations are superficial to those who are proficient, but when it comes to spells that affect specific and multiple targets (and not simply an "area"), sometimes that would be a different story. The spell that Elysia was preparing was designed to "turn harm aside" by forming two barriers around her targets: the mercenary, Takuma, Karthus, Darkeye, and Lizzie. One barrier would return half of the push from a physical force and turn it aside, the other would attempt to push out obviously harmful magical/spiritual effects. Cruciatus, whom she could see at a distance, was outside of her range, so she could not target him.

"F K M UM K L T E G" and other such nonsense would flow ceaselessly from the yordle's mouth. She is essentially repeating and re-shaping the spell constantly in order to adapt to whatever offense she might need to push away from her allies, so she absolutely cannot afford to be distracted by anything else.

(( In other words, either a superior magical/physical force [crimson shade 2 stronk for deez barrierz] or simply targeting Elysia can bypass the shield. ))