The Crossroads - Chapter One: Be afraid of the Dark.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AskKarthus

11-13-2012

"Could you show us to the gardens, where this happened. Unless this being has skill to rival those masters of stealth, Evelynn or the Kinkou, there is a possibility it left something discernible. And even if doesn't, we may still learn something."

Necromonger

11-13-2012

"Living Shadows... huh." Lizzie remarked, wondering when they'd take them to the garden area. Meantime she checked her items for things that might help- a good, sturdy Piltish hexlight, and her own glasses with its multiple functions.

"Well, let's get going... unless the gardens are unsafe at this time? I'd like to know though, how long were you... knocked out? and were there any changes to the interior of the manor?"

ElMelloi

11-13-2012

A sudden mental shift from the peak of serenity to unspeakable terror. The mysterious whispers of an alien tongue. The lady of the manor, answering to some unheard call as naturally as if she was checking who knocked on the door of her room. The shadows, seen once and then no more.

Thinking upon Darkeye's vague yet informative response, the capricious Flame-Head shuddered. A case like this could only have possibilities that transcends most people's nightmares. With a place so close to death like the Shadow Isles, it wouldn't be impossible for those "shadows" to be some strange undead menace that lured Lady Darkeye away with some kind of purpose, or - less likely - something what crawled its way from the Void. Neither thought was comforting, but both thoughts tempted her imagination. What is really happening on the Shadow Isles right now?

The little Flame-Head surmised that the effect the shadow(?) placed upon Darkeye at that time most likely had its origins in enchantment magic, and was (probably) not some side effect of another magical problem. However, Elysia would not bother casting any protective spells until the group would head to the garden. ... Could Elysia perhaps find some trace of magic there, if she scanned the area to search for some kind of lead? Very doubtful, but it was worth a shot.

Elysia's silence spoke better than any words she could provide. She was quite ready to get moving.

muggtonp

11-13-2012

Cruciatus pondered the man's words. If anything, from what he had seen of the man and of these isles so far, the only thing that was truly out of place was the calmness. Perhaps... some form of powerful hallucinogenic toxin? That would also explain the sheer terror that followed the calm; after all, hallucinations have been known to cause a variety of emotions. But how was it administered?

Cruciatus looked up at Darkeye. "Do you remember what you were wearing at the time?" He asked.

It could not possibly have been in the form of gas, else the man's wife would have been affected. A dart, perhaps? If Darkeye had been wearing armor at the time, Cruciatus would have to eliminate this possibility as well.

Necromonger

11-14-2012

(( :/ ))

muggtonp

11-15-2012

((I feel like everything died. Must be a bad time.))

Luparis

11-15-2012

((Sorry, I know I'm dragging ass. It's for leiry, to give him the opportunity to catch up should he return as I hope.))

The questions from the gathered hands were feasble. He nodded, explained that he was wearing light mail on his torso, graves and otherwise his body was in normal cloth. It was fairly easy to guess what Cruciatus was thinking. "I have survived through 3 wars, countless battles, too many close calls with death. These Isles will surprise you at every turn. Thoug I assure you, my gardens here are safe. There is no natural danger in them."

With that, a couple guards came from a side room and ushered the group down a shot hallway with large stain glass windows on one side. Darkeye followed them behind, and soon they came to a large bolted door. The guards undid the bar that held it shut.

"My favorite garden." He said. As the door opened, they would see a large pool with bright blue, crystalline water that seemed to ripple outward endlessly. Colorful pixie like creatures flittered this way and that, hovering over the pool, diving back and forth from flower to pale white flower. One massive tree, toward the end of the wild garden stood out. It's bark a luminescent white with red leaves, that seemed to have a face. Hardly noticed, but there nonetheless. "Here, beyond this tree, down one of the paths. The moment we passed the tree we felt the calm. As we came to the first path, we saw the shadow, and my body froze, and the fear hit me. She continued down the path, I blacked out... she was gone."

AskKarthus

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luparis View Post
((Sorry, I know I'm dragging ass. It's for leiry, to give him the opportunity to catch up should he return as I hope.))

The questions from the gathered hands were feasble. He nodded, explained that he was wearing light mail on his torso, graves and otherwise his body was in normal cloth. It was fairly easy to guess what Cruciatus was thinking. "I have survived through 3 wars, countless battles, too many close calls with death. These Isles will surprise you at every turn. Thoug I assure you, my gardens here are safe. There is no natural danger in them."

With that, a couple guards came from a side room and ushered the group down a shot hallway with large stain glass windows on one side. Darkeye followed them behind, and soon they came to a large bolted door. The guards undid the bar that held it shut.

"My favorite garden." He said. As the door opened, they would see a large pool with bright blue, crystalline water that seemed to ripple outward endlessly. Colorful pixie like creatures flittered this way and that, hovering over the pool, diving back and forth from flower to pale white flower. One massive tree, toward the end of the wild garden stood out. It's bark a luminescent white with red leaves, that seemed to have a face. Hardly noticed, but there nonetheless. "Here, beyond this tree, down one of the paths. The moment we passed the tree we felt the calm. As we came to the first path, we saw the shadow, and my body froze, and the fear hit me. She continued down the path, I blacked out... she was gone."
"Truly, the splendor of this garden is unmatched by many I have seen," Karthus said this as they were entering. Karthus speaks again as they approach the path, "Have you inspected the path yet, and how closely?"

Grand Viper

11-16-2012

((Sorry about that, I was a bit busy. Now back!))

One of the mercenary women stood away from the other members of her group. Her hood covered most of her facial features while tightly wound and rotting black leather armor covered the rest of her. Only her pale skin could be seen, and her piercing green eyes.

She took in every word Darkeye said. She finally muttered something in a thick accent, "Ze only zing zat ve need to fear, is fear itself. Shadows are nozing to be frighteened of, not if you understand zem. Embrace ze shadows, and ze vill aid you. Deny zem, and zey vill deny you as zey did. Zey are like anyzing else in life."

One of the other mercenaries hushed her and followed the others out to the garden.

The woman raised her hand, "Herr Darkeye, do I have your permeession to inspect ze grounds? I assure you, I have full control of ze shadows I summon."

Yes, you do. You always will.

ElMelloi

11-16-2012

(( I'ma try to hold off for Sir leirynot as well, but.... ))

"Natural" danger or no, what makes you think that will allow anyone with sense to calm themselves?

The little Flame-Head decided to keep this thought to herself, instead silently allowing herself to be led to the garden.

"My favorite garden," came Darkeye's initial comment. To this, "One can see why!" was Elysia's immediate answer as she, wonder-eyed, allowed herself a moment to enjoy the sight. Deciding that such a picturesque garden should not live in her memories as only a mere memory, she withdrew a piece of parchment and a tiny vial of ink from her sagyusam, pouring the contents of the vial on the parchment as she sung a small chant. The ink began to change shape and color as a realistic picture of the garden began to fill the parchment. The Flame-Head then stuffs it away, hidden right next to her wand and other spell components in the large pocket hidden within her clothes.

"I'd wish to see what information hides in the wind first...." This statement was made by one who would act regardless of the answer she would receive.

Now that Elysia could freely marvel at the beauty of the garden some other time, it was time for her to get to work. As a Summoner, it is not impossible to detect traces of magic with a spell of her own, which could allow her to glean some amount of information about what she is dealing with. Probably.

The little yordle withdrew something else from her sagyusam, a tiny bag of stones and her wand of oak, a star ornament affixed to its end. She stepped towards the most clear patch of dirt she could find and used the wand to trace a complicated magic circle in it. The tiny yordle then began to scatter the small stones in a wider circle that covered the entire garden. Returning to the circle again, she inscribed something else inside of it before kneeling.

"Within my domain shall not exist something I know nothing of" was the only thing one could hear Elysia say, her volume gradually lowering until she finished her incantation.

The magic circle would begin to glow and Elysia would probably be able to see any trace of magic that could linger in the area. If there really was something here, the yordle needed to see it with her own eyes.

Of course, none of this will happen if the yordle is interrupted midway by somebody.