The Crossroads - Chapter One: Be afraid of the Dark.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Luparis

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMelloi View Post
The moment she was being mocked by the hired hands of the manor, the tiny Flame-Head's expression and general mood transformed immediately. Not only did somebody trip over her, but apparently these mercenaries don't seem to understand that even if the help that came from Valoran is small, sometimes silly, and only prone to anger when directly wronged, there's a reason why even the tiniest of yordles would dare think to brave the Shadow Isles.

Besides shooting the mercenary an "are you serious?" look, her only response to the mockery was a simple word that reverberated with arcane power. Any living creature in the area that uses the sense of sight will see the area around Flame-Head begin to distort, as if someone threw water onto an oil painting. At first it seems only her skin changed color, but then even her clothes began to morph into something else - what was at first a bright green sagyusam quickly began to change into something black, until eventually she was wearing leather armor with steel pauldrons and leg guards. Her cloak seemed to morph itself into a bow, which remained over her shoulder. As she begins to grow in size, she takes on the appearance of a tall, rugged man with brown hair, an unkept beard, and a fairly built body.

Apparently, she also sounds like a certain rugged mercenary, too, as Elysia decides to stand her ground against the mockery. She was in the company of warriors, so why not fight back if their only weapons are words? They (probably) don't have any license to attack someone just for making fun of them, and even if they did, Elysia was certain she had insurance in case such a thing actually did happen.

"Don't go mockin' people, ignorant whelp! Get yer head out yer behind, come to yer senses, eh? Callin' people out just 'cause they look like somethin' stupid, when ye don't know a damned thing about who or what ye're really lookin' at! Bugger off, I say! Go back ta trainin' with overcompensatin' weapons! I'm sure one day yer sword will be as large as the ones ye were taught ta swing!"

This might seem like a parlor trick, but the entire transformation into his exact likeness took all of 0.4 seconds and she got his voice down precisely... she may have exaggerated his speech patterns, though. It's also worth noting that the type of spell she's using is actually warping the properties of light and sound into something else, rather than simply tricking living minds like she usually does. Undead creatures still cannot be fooled by something as stupid as this, as Elysia knows that they usually only care about the actual presence of flesh and blood, but "those beasties" and surly humans who talk like they know who they're talking to will be seeing these illusions whether they're fooled or not. Only illusions of light and sound work this way, though. Any other senses would require mind-affecting enchantments, which can be resisted and/or ignored by those who know how.

After having the illusion extend a rude hand gesture towards the mercenary talking out of his proverbial hat, she dispels it... mostly. In order to keep her point forever into the head of anybody else who would judge by her appearance, the yordle keeps the (fake) leather armor and the beard, but the bright flames people call her head stays perched atop her cranium.

Because the mercenary annoyed her that much, she casts another spell while continuing to maintain the one that's on her. The light around the man who opened his mouth so quickly would begin to distort as he would seem to take on the appearance of a decidedly unattractive, unreputable-looking woman for about four seconds.

"How's that fer dressin' like a professional? But the question is: a professional what?" taunted Elysia, still using the man's voice to add a touch of irony to the situation. Maybe Karthus would not approve too much of Elysia's reaction to everything so far, so she decides to return to etiquette more befitting an Ionian as she turns toward the man who tripped over her.

"I'd like to apologize for over-reacting. Things like this do tend to happen at the worst of times, as we all know," came a sincere tone, free of the illusion magic from earlier. "May I ask who you are?" The bearded Flame-Head asked. Maybe it would be good to go back to square one with this guy. It was an accident, after all....

The abilities, whether false or quite real had the desired effect on most of the mercenaries gathered. Her immediate transformation gathered whispered curses, hushed confusion and bellowed insults from the impersonated. As her voice too changed, however, it quickly escalated into jokes from a;; the mercs except the one leaning on the wall, who was watching Lizzie.

As the antics of Falme-Head progressed, it became something intolerable. When the magic came to be used to distort the visage of the mercenary with a bow that his face darkened, he reached for his bow, strung an arrow - and as it did, a light surrounded the old crone he appeared to be and 4 ethereal arrows immediately lined next to the real one.

"Brilliant parlor trick, you little devil, but are ma arrows real, or figgents o' your imagination!" The man grinned, fighting back jumping on the Yordle version of himself. The laughing stopped as the others began to speak. For whatever reason, he eased up on the pull string and the arrows vanished into bits of glittery dust. "Keep your games. I'm here for gold, and fame.

The woman with the blond pony tail replied to Lizzie who was inquiring about Darkeye. She grinned as she replied, mildly amused by her small jape. "Terrera Fen, call me Terry. We haven't met Darkeye yet, he's holed up somewhere in this creepy manor. Other than the door guards, we haven't seen anyone, not even a servant. Granted, we only just arrived ourselves." Terry explained, slowly, politely, all the while watching the top ofthe stairs, waiting to see Darkeye emerge.

Another mercenary, smaller, dirtier, more the appearance of a thug allowed himself a moment of boldness in the absence of the employer. Bald, and missing two front teeth, he spoke harsh words, "Who gives a frig about this Darkeye? Or his bloody wench? The only that matters ta me is the jingle in me pocket after we clear this Isel of some boneheads. Ha! Who knows, maybe the wench will fall in love with dashin' ol' Willy? Money and the girl, eh, Terry?"

When Terry did not reply Willy nudged her with his elbow. She didn't budge. "The hell is...-" He looked to the top of the stairwell and saw Aguma accompanied by another man, staring straight at Willy. "...Oh, my lord, what an honor!...."

"Welcome... to the Shadow Isles." Darkeye glared at Willy, his hand on his sword hilt.

((I put in Darkeye's profile on this thread as well. Refer to my first post.))

Necromonger

11-09-2012

The journalist did what she was good at- asking questions and listening. She made all the pointers so far- indeed, a large manor on the Isles, with no visible non-combatant servants. Said manor was headed by a mysterious lord of obviously great power, suddenly outsourcing his personnel needs. Information was lacking at best, and at worst this might have been a genuinely dangerous trip to make.

Well, not that Lizzie's not been in danger before. She also noted the state of the manor itself and the surrounding grounds, her own home a benchmark of fairly competent estate management.

Lizzie stood at attention and bowed- slightly- at Darkeye's arrival. It was courtesy to a host, as well as the ever-present Ionian manner. The figure was imposing indeed, much like her grandfather in his portraits, or the empty suit of armor back home.

"Evening. So, we hear you need help with a missing person case?" she asked, preferring to be direct.

Luparis

11-09-2012

Magnus Darkeye heard Lizzie's words, but his eyes never diverted from that of Willy. The man shifted very obviously in discomfort from foot to foot, turning his gaze to anyone else, scratching neervously. And as obvious as it was, he wanted nothing more than for Magnus to have not heard what he'd jsut said, the Lord did not care. At this particular moment, in the presence of a veteran of the Rune Wars, and that of a broken hearted warlord, he was as good as dead in his eyes.

"One moment, please." Magnus nose scrunched, as if in anger that he rarely ever portrayed. One hand on the railing, the other on his sword, he began his descent slowly. "Gold and fame, is it, mercenary? He said, one step at a time.

"Aye, m'lord Magnus, that's what ol' Willy is here for. Just to make a good, honest living, just as you did, m'lord!" Willy beamed at Magnus, who was still walking down the stairs. "I read all about you... well, I heard all about you, m'lord. Reading ain't ma strong suit, but y'know. One does what one is good at, aye?"

Magnus smiled, though his eyes did not. His thumb caressed the hilt of his sword, looking through the sack of cowardice before him, straight to his soul. Where darkness lay. "If I recall correctly, brave Willy... you had mentioned money and the girl. Aguma, do my ears decieve me in my old age?"

His protector folded his arms and chuckled, "No my lord, your hearing is as good as my own. I heard money and girl. What girl is that, merc?" Aguma, judging by his body language, was wholely amused by this. He already knew.

"M'lord, I meant just like in the old stories, y'know? The stories where the terribly dashin' n rogue mercenary ends up with the damsel in distress." Willy continued to wear his stupid, desperate smile. "Ah, please, I didn't mean nothin by it, I'm harmless ol' Willy, m'lord!" He backed up a step, one hand slowly moved to his belt where numerous knives rested.

Magnus Darkeye nodded, and put a finger to his lips as he finally reached the base level and was staring down at the much smaller Willy. The mercenary cringed terribly at the lord towering over him, and yet, in his fear he managed to pull free a knife, raise it about half an inch towards Darkeye. Too quick to react, he was grabbed up by the wrist, his arm twisted behind his back with loud audible cracks. He never dropped the knife, Magnus would not let him.

"Mercy, mercy! M'lord, I'm harmless, I swear!" Willy pleaded, tears starting in his eyes.

Magnus exerted himself, plunging the dagger right into the spine of Willy and slicing upwards. The mans eyes widened for but a brief moment befre he was allowed to collapse on the floor. The knife dropped with a loud, mettalic clang. Magnus turned to the others, smiling. "The Shadow Isles are no friend to any man. I did this wretch a courtesy. Spineless cowards such as he should be buried before they accept my task, elsewise he will just get you killed all the quicker. The likeliness of any of you..." He stopped and looked at all the others, judging them, and eventually Lizzie. he eyed her sword sheath, and gave a loud, "Ha!" Then, "...simpletons expect to walk off these Isles alive, then bring along a grave digger. Expect to fail, and maybe, maybe with a stroke of luck... you will prevail and bring home my wife and unborn child. If not, then I will continue my search."

ElMelloi

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromonger View Post
"Let 'em go. Trivial playground teasing is not worth the energy." She could only tell them, her calm, collected warrior ethos preferring to be level headed about being in a foreign, hostile land.
Flame-Head, after removing her silly leather-armor-and-beard illusion, whispered to Lizzie, "I didn't do that out of any need to defend my pride, please understand. Have you ever heard of the Three-Fold Rule? That was the return portion just now, Lizzie-sshi." Elysia was, of course, mad about what was spoken about her appearance as well, but she decided to keep quiet about the obvious.

--

Elysia watched in a mixture of fascination and horror at what she had done as she narrowly avoided being targeted with a barrage of arcane arrows - she already was preparing a barrier spell, but stopped when the man decided against loosing the deadly projectiles. Although Elysia is one who can create a scene very quickly (for good or ill), maybe that last illusion pushed it a little too far. It didn't matter much; once they were all on the job, they were stuck with the little Flame-Head's odd skillset anyway. All that matters is that this quest is finished so they could all go back home and be all the wiser and richer for it... or die so that others could go back home and be all the wiser and richer for it. Still, maybe she shouldn't pick on scoundrels quite like that.

Quote:
"Keep your games. I'm here for gold, and fame."
Hesitating to point out why "gold and fame" are not reason enough to risk your life to this extent, her only response was to turn her attention to something more interesting. Namely, poor Willy.

The dirty little rogue spoke the wrong words about Darkeye in his manor. Flame-Head could feel the imposing lord's killing intent mere moments before she even saw him. The tiny summoner watched his death with clear indifference as she wondered what would have happened if this imposing man saw her antics from earlier (assuming he hasn't already, but she did not care to dwell on it). It would be wiser if Elysia refrains from impulses like that in the future.

As Darkeye spoke and surveyed each person of the group, Elysia returned his measured gaze, meeting his eyes directly. She wasn't entertaining children on the streets of Ionia, Zaun, or Demacia anymore, nor is she here on any duties as an adjudicator of the Institute of War. This enigmatic and imposing lord has the tiny sorceress's undivided attention.

leirynot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

Takuma watched in silence as Darkeye killed Willy. He was somewhat glad Darkeye had disposed of him, as he seemed to be an annoying fool. As Darkeye examined him, he looked with a somewhat bored expression, his left eyelid and side of his mouth drooping slightly. Throughout the whole time he remained silent, he didn't care for speeches about low survival odds, since he didn't care really if he lived or died, in his own mind, he had died years ago, in Ionia.

muggtonp

11-09-2012

As he watched the fool crumple to the ground, blood still pouring from the gaping wound, Cruciatus grimaced visibly. If the rest of the now-silent mercenaries assembled around the manor were anything like the one who had just died, the entire group was doomed. He shook his head, cracking his neck ((not the getting-your-neck-snapped crack, the cracking-your-knuckles crack)).

An audible click resounded through the hall.

AskKarthus

11-09-2012

"Well, wasn't that an appropriate introduction?" Karthus asked upon seeing this bloody spectacle. Karthus quickly changed to a more serious tone of voice, "I should hope your relationship with the rest of us will be more... productive, Lord Darkeye. May I now inquire as to some of the potential obstacles we a encounter on our journey? I very much wish to record some more information pertaining to the Isles."

Necromonger

11-09-2012

Lizzie took two steps away from Willy as the host demonstrated his power on the people he was going to hire. Had this been her first assignment she would've been very startled- but no, Elizabeth Wong was both thankful and resentful that she had become jaded to violence.

She adjusts the sword on her back, then her mask, to get her discomfort under control. She averted her eyes as Darkeye filleted Willy.

"Um..." She'd really wish these dark warlord types would do this more discreetly. According to the family records at least, her grandfather, fond as he was for executions, did it behind a discretionary tent.

Necromonger

11-09-2012

((boop))

Luparis

11-09-2012

Magnus nodded, his eyes dark with either grief, or rage - one was free to speculate at their own discretion. Inquiring into the matter was something one would be foolish to do. Looking at the Deathsinger, Magnus explained.

"What could be more productive than that demonstration?" He snapped, his fists tightening. "I want it to be very, very clear that none of you mean anything to me. You are here not for me, but because all of you want something and that is our relationship. You need something, I need something, and we will help one another or you will end up like this sack of meat." Magnus kicked the corpse of Willy, which slid into the wall, knocking over a vase from a closeby table. "Those he jeopardize your task must be dealt with. I have lived fifty years, and I will NOT suffer anyone, including the undead."

Somewhere in his shouting, Aguma came down to flank the lord of the Shadow Isles. he was glaring at them, his arms folded. Lord Darkeye continued, "Each of you, whether you survive or not will be provided with a small fortune should my wife be returned. If not, then I desperately hope that the Shadow Isles warp and crush your weak souls. You needn't know more about me apart from this. And what you need to know of the one you seek, is that I have no leads. None. Her and I were walking through the gardens when a sensation overcame me. Moments later, as I was losing my grasp on reality - she continued to walk forward, into never ending shadow."