Newbies in ranked (suggestion)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS13a2e0732031ca

11-04-2012

Just wondering if RIOT could implement some sort of "test pool" for new ranked players where after some good performance or wins new players would be allowed to play with more experienced ranked players. The reason why: rather often newbies in ranked has little or no idea about "meta" game in ranked, like : support should not steal cs from adc but rather provide wards, mid players should help jungler , junglers should watch their bushes before killing golems and etc.
Elo between 1150 and 1250 is the most lottery type i would say. It's not really fair if one team has all experienced players vs team who have 2 newbies still to learn about "meta" in ranked.

Its really frustrating to give all efforts to win while some other players "counting birds in the sky".

ps. Since i can not post in main forum, i post in here. Hopefully if you like this idea, can you re-post in suggestion thread.
Thank you

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

11-04-2012

You mean like, say when you start ranked you first have 10 'placement' matches. For these matches you have significantly higher Elo gains/losses (to get you to where you belong faster), and are matched (at least primarily) against others in their placement matches?

(Because that's what they have.)

Fs Son0fSilas

11-04-2012

^ lol to better explain highly skilled player will be able to a) carry "bird watchers" b) lead a team with proper communication or c) teach lower skilled summoners enough in a short amount of time.

Anyone with below average skill (myself when I started ranked) that gets lucky enough to win a lot (1437 when I started) will quickly drop to an appropriate elo pool (899 at my lowest). The reason for this is because for every game you do "good" and still lose because someone else "fed", how many games do you do poorly and "cause" a loss? The people that constantly blame their team will eventually find themselves falling in elo quickly. The fact is, you have to take responsability for every game, win or lose, and do so without ego clouding your judgement.

Placement matches have a swing of about 50 elo. Even after 40 ranked games you will still see gains and loses of almost 20 elo or more.

Instead of raging at them, be direct yet kind, and try to instruct them on what to do.

Did I finish the season with Gold in Solo/Duo? No (though I did get it like a douch in 3v3). I feel like I'm ending the season with a respectable 1253. Considering I had to re-learn what it meant to play this game like a team player, and how to communicate with a team not-quite inclined to listen, I think I did pretty well for myself.

IS13a2e0732031ca

11-04-2012

I'm not talking about raging or criticising them. I'm simply talking about placement matches withing other not experience players and only well performed players would join more experienced players.
1) In many cases you hardly can carry "bird watchers" if you have 2 of them while other team have all experienced players.
2) Yes, you can take a pause and try to explain what to do but I found many of newbies don't even want to listen to advice you give them because they simple even don't understand the purpose of "meta" game. They used to play the way they used to and instead they just would verbally abuse you.
3) Proly in "placement" matches they also should get some "quests" like to play all positions and get auto tips what it takes to play some certain position. Once they get some sort of "honor" by accomplishing their tasks in all positions, they qualify for real ranked games.

Fs Son0fSilas

11-04-2012

1) The other team is just as likely to have inexperienced players. If their elo happens to be higher you will be given more for a win and have less taken from you for a loss. Carrying a team is about out-playing your own lane, which depends completely on YOUR skill level, and not your teams. From there it is YOUR responsability to help/gank other lanes if possible. Leading into lategame you need to let your team know how important it is to follow pings. Be a leader and a teammate and you've done everything you can to secure a victory.

2) It's not even about taking a pause. The more you type, the more distracted you are from the game. Long winded explanations can be confusing and seen as ignorable. You will have better results by being Direct. Un-emotional. and Calculating. If someone needs it explained do so as needed. "Leash blue plz" they stay in lane...*ping* "auto attack once" they still don't come *ping again* "need help now, 1 attack please!". You have now done everything possible to work as a team. There is no need to rage afterwards. Fight blue if you can and then keep the jungle to yourself. You'll need it...

The fact is, at best between 1100-1300 elo 98% of people will follow those pings. Do not give any room for arguement in instruction, and don't put emotion first. Cold and robotic, all you need.

PS take responsebilitly for bad calls, you'll make them until you ACTUALY know what you are doing.

3) They have talked about adding achievement in, but requiring you to complete them before Ranked is a little silly. The fact is, the rankings are set up to weed out weaker players. Normal Draft is also there to "teach" people ranked. There is a large gap between the skill needed for both though.

You should really consider how much you yourself know about this game OP. I'm most definately NOT trying to imply that you are terrible, but there are varying degrees of skill. You can blame "noobs" for losses as much as you like, but the fact is it's a team game.

For every game you have a "feeder" (someone who got so out played they are 0-5 at 7 minutes), you should think about what you could have done to stop that. By the time they are 0-3 you'd think you would have been ready to gank that lane...

Anyway, you won't know your true elo till at least 100 ranked games played. By that time if you are at 800 you'll know that it wasn't the people you were playing with, it was you.

EDIT… why can't you post on "the main" forums?

IS13a2e0732031ca

11-04-2012

EDIT… why can't you post on "the main" forums? - coz i have lvl 5 bug.

ps. funny, when i suggested about promoting - honoring good players for their good deeds, i got many minuses and negative feedback from the community but coincidentally today we have that idea implemented and so many players enjoy this honoring system. (I don't say i invented, most likely it was a nice coincidence with what i suggested). I hope devs at least will consider this idea too.

Fs Son0fSilas

11-05-2012

Yes but what you suggested was requiring people to earn honor before being allowed to play ranked.

Receiving honor doesn't even necessarily denote skill, they could just be a really nice person. Not only that, but someone who is an ******* (without being overly offensive/vulgar) that also happens to be deserving of Platinum wont actually be allowed to play until he makes with the nice. There was no coincidence as you know, you posted this idea about 3 weeks too late.

You are getting negative feed back because you are claiming that every loss is someone else fault. Someone else didn't have the skill, or someone else was TOO skilled. The fact is the system that is in place, while not perfect, works. Bad players continuously drop in elo, and good/great players have steady/momentous gains. Average players kind of just fluctuate. Over the span of 50 ranked games, yes you will still run into people who may or may not know what they are doing. Stating however that a system that gives large gains and losses for your first 10 matches, needs some fixes, while you know nothing about how it works...come on.

You have those 50 elo gains so that they can place you closer to your true elo, and the amounts stay high so that it keeps they VERY good and VERY BAD players out of newer ranked players way.

IS13a2e0732031ca

11-05-2012

Just ps. Promotioning or as today we know as "honor" suggestion i gave some time in early spring. Anyway, fnx for respond.

AcidKats

11-05-2012

I think that first time PvP players should have to play a set number of matches, or win a set number of matches in a practice mode...just expand upon the Battle Training tutorial, and have it with other players. That way they learn how to play in an environment where people are in the same level, probably aren't so critical, and then once they start to put together wins they will be granted access to ranked/normal matches.

CoOp vs AI gameplay is very very different than PvP, obviously because of the fact there are computers. The problem is that we're forced to walk into a place that is populated with players that are already skilled/comfortable with the flow of a match. It's a burden to the familiar player, and a load of pressure for the newbie.

This stops beginners, like myself, from going into matches where people have much more experience and honestly, ruin the gaming experience for veterans. LoL has a steep learning curve, and it's honestly kind of intimidating to enter PvP matches because I don't want to mess the game up for anyone else, along with not wanting to get screamed at either.

So I think that a Battle Training pvp queue would be a great addition.

IS13a2e0732031ca

11-06-2012

Yep, that exactly what i was suggesting - 1st training, then some practice then real PVP.