Guide to Anivia, the Cryophoenix

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quicktim3

12-25-2009

smite and flash works for me as i always get kills with it

Anhi

12-25-2009

Sum abili

Clarity and teleport
*I go for teleport because I don't like how games play without it. lol
*Clarity is essential I find to playing and mainting an Anivia. Not only early game does it keep up your harass potential. But many times I find my self chasing down an opponent who was some how out lived your intial spells only to run out of mana. Tap (summoner spell hotkey) for instant mana ftw.

Thoughts on some itmes

Nashor's Tooth.
*I've been rockin this lately and I like it a lot. It gives you good mana regen right away (Meki pendant +7 mana regen) and if you build the fiendish codex u get ap/mrg/cdr
As a side note with nashor's I find that people forget that Anivia has a really good crit chance. Her attack comes from far away and can be really usefull in chases because of its range. Having it proc faster (and also firing it more so you can get more crits) is a real sweet bonus. (note on a note... there is fun to be had to playing an attack speed anivia. Its not the greatest since you have to stop to auto but its rly good when waiting between procs on your glacial to rip them down)

Chalice of Harmony
*Here's why I don't get it. Anivia gets a large mana pool. For play numbers we will use 2000mp. To lose 1% of your mp you have to spend 20mp. not too bad considering that at max lvl her spells cost 120-180mp. So with one spell you can almost lose 10% of your pool. Saying you had 10 rgn from items that would a bonus of 1 rgn. lets say you blow half your pool and are at 50%. Using are some 10rg that would be a bonus of an extra 5gn for a total of 15rg (plus character). Considering you are trying to replace another 985 mana you are more likely to blow out all of your mana before truly getting benefits from chalice. (Remeber, at ZERO mana with only 10rgn from items your bonus would only be 10rgn for a total of 20rgn every 5 secs. (Frostbite by far your cheapest spell would take 25secs to rgn with chalice.)) The thing about chalice is this. It works beautifully on champions that keep a low mana cap and a high mana rgn. Champs like Amumu for example, or champions that mainly rely on dps and just need mana so their spells can come up. On casters the mana pools get so big that its hard to turn the %s over to truly good numbers. Now I'm low balling here but you (hopefully) see the point of why its not needed.

Tear of the Godess
*While I have used this in my anivia builds before I just don't find it the "best" item. Again it comes down to how I play. Consider this. To get a "free" flashfrost you need to use 40 spells. That's not hard to do with a caster but think of how you play. Anvia does burst and lays a lot of her spells down fast. You want the jump on ppl. You only get 2 procs from your tear in six seconds. Six seconds. That's entire fight lengths. Only get 8mp from dumping five spells doesnt seem enough to me. You just spent 530+ mp (That number is suggesting you go through max spell rotation in six seconds and Glacial for only one sec. The plus is for how long you have it running) for a return of 8mp over all. It would take 66 times (or 66 late game fights) to get this return. I don't know about you, but I don't have this much late game you know? Plus its not a maxed out item. If you aren't considering turning into an Archangel's Staff, imo, their are better returns on other items. Like using a stronger ap/mana/mrg item.

Catalyst -> Rod Of Ages
*its a cool item considering maxed it gives u a bonus of 725hp+725mp+80ap but that's at half an hour of play. Its an item I think is good if you get a few kills early. and I mean before six. And you have enough gold to blow on it so that it comes up faster *before the surrender option* but it makes for a pretty neutral Anivia. You survive easier but more ap would be better. You have good mana but you want/need more mana regen. The bumps for mana when you lvl is good but I find clarity and pots take care of that and aren't reliant on me being close to a lvl up to remain active. This gives me more control, which is what anivia is all about.

Pots.
*Love em. All the time. All the lvls. They seem expensive and wasteful but pay in intreest when they allow you to get the kills. If you buy a meki you can afford two mp pots off the get go. That with a clarity and you're golden

Skills

Flashfrost
To all you nay-sayers. Get better with it. Imo its the best pvp skill. The wall, which I will get to, has its bonuses but the skill shot is where it is at. Its early game harrasment is key to first bloods and shutting down players ealry game like Tryndy. Flash frost not only slows but wrecks whatever minions it passes over and does burst damage at then end, coupled with a stun. Now that's an ability. Even if it was just a stun it would be worth it but consider with its extra range due to bursting you can hit people out side their towers' ranges and rip at people fleeing *plus slowing and stunning them* FF NEEDS to be in you back pocket. Practice. Become better. Key things to remeber are to aim where they r heading not where they are. Once you are confident in your shot, chase after it *pluss boots* to get your Frostbite in there. Burst it sooner for close range stuns. And time it for how other people cast thier abilities. Champions who r skill shotting most often have thier champs backs turned to you. That it cuz they r waiting for you to hit the edge of their range. Shooting them then catches them with their attention on you not what you r shooting. And often places them in bad place to click for movement. (since they are aiming at you if they clicked it would only move them into the shot)

Icewall
Is her most usefull skill. I wisher I was better with it. I'm training it. Control over players movement and the map is what wins this game. Ice wall has its limits though. One, if they are moving into the cast as you hit the players you r sealing off get transport through it. And with its hit box, and some times wierd extension lines its extremely difficult to seperate people. A lot of characters negate it. Trynd-Jana-Fiddle-Kass-Trist-Kat-Shaco-singed-jax-warwick-Twisted-Yi (plus summoer spell flash negates as well). They all have their ways of dealing with her wall. Or at least making it harder to play well with. Also at the low levels its kina lame. With the spread it gets it hardly effects players movements in lanes. So its a bit of a sacrafice imo considering the power of FF and FB not to mention your ult. For newer aniv's out there I would suggest getting better with her other skills before tackling the wall. That being said. Some tips are this. Use it to block meles from destroying towers. Save champs by blocking people's movments. Use it to keep ppl moving through your Storm. Close of the woods with it. Also think of this. Remember a strat from our beloved Warcraft TDs. Any corner, or hairpin turn forces things to move a farther distance. Placing her wall on a corner makes people have to walk all the way to its outside edge before coming back down it to get to you. This gives u ample time to cd or get away instead of just straight ploppin it in their path which only increases their movement distance (to you) slightly (at low lvls) while they move much faster than you (290mms vs Kats 325mms)

Frostbite
B*tch*n. Its low range is what sucks. Considering most of what you do is at max ranges. Auto-FF-Glacial*far rim* Frostbite comits you to the kill and is great burst. Be sure to use it after a slowing effect like Glacial or FF though. Imo it really just means I have to have more mana and good boots before I can use it properly. While using it after Storm is great. *I don't really play that way but since the suggestions I'll try focusing it more* I would rather a stun, plus minion wipe, plus a slow than just a small burst. I think its more pivitol to wait for FF to come up, when u r on low mana, then to try and spam the cheaper FB. However with ap builds, this maims. Lames. And mutilates.
*another note. Flash frost does 5/10 more damage than frost bite all the time! Right from lvl 1 its stronger. Sure you get double damage when objects are chilled, but bursting your FF on a target deals an extra 60 / 90 / 120 / 150 / 180 (+1 per ability power) (which is the effect of doing double damage, but with no pre-rec other than just having mad leet skills.

Glacial Storm
The fact that you can farm pretty heavy with FF is wicked. The fact that you can lay waste to minion wave in 3 secs. 480dmg for 390 mana is pretty epic. You can't clear lanes any quicker than Aniv can. The mana price is some what hi but you balance it by buying yourself time and controlling the push. You are either saving you mana for enemy player encounters or pushing. Farming creeps would be the latter. Now I'm stating the obvious :P In fights its just great. Adding slows to thier team is awesome along with the universal damage. A nice trick is to use it while running away. Plant it ahead of you. Travel through it and as they chase you they will be forced to run it entire length applying them for a 3 sec slow plus how lung they run through it. (290 *anivia* >250 *slowed kat*) Key tip to noobies is don't forget to turn it off. Period.

Play style.
She is good in duo's but she needs xp and her farming skills make her hard to lane with. People feel like they lose xp and money to her which makes them grumpy. Plus she is slow so you really have to communicate with your partner to get those early kills. Couple that with the fact that she is focused and has low health makes her skiddish and seems to bolt right away if things go down. But her stun is great. I think she does better when she solos. Its easier to harras people because you can count on where they are going better and you don't have to worry about your harass that you have been working on for three to five minutes being scared off by your team-mate, or them switching out with their lane partner as they go heal. Playing a good early game harass will get you fb's and a nice lvl spread.

Mid game. If you been doing your job you will now be able to wander while your lane has their defending on a rez cd. Anivia is great for tele ganking. Blasting the field with glacial. Then a wall. Then a fb. Then FF. Slows and injures, impares and injures further, injures greatly, then slows injures and stuns the ones that have some how managed all of that. She is nuke if you couple her with flashes and teleports. Try those summoners.

Later use the Stun and slow effect on FF to get rid of people chasing u. Its worth the time to cast the spell (stop runing away) and burst it soon so you get the stun and slow. Its great for saving people aswell.

Elixrs a great for her because she is hard to kill and so worth the money spending on the expensive oracles.

Blah blah blah. I talk forever. cheers

The Swedish Chef

12-27-2009

Always appreciate the feedback guys. And to answer a question earlier, I use the Clarity+Teleport setup that I mention first in the guide. It helps the most for her overall. Clarity keeps up her mana reserves all game long, especially if you have the 15% CD reduc to Summoner spells. Teleport will not only help you early game to hold your lane (as well as get to your lane after a Dragon Run if you're going top), but because Anivia is also one of the best anti-pushers in the game, you can Tele back to a turret being pounded on and remove the creepwave in an instant, as well as stop any enemy aggressors.

The Swedish Chef

12-28-2009

Update with the new patch that's coming out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurelia View Post
Anivia
  • Frostbite range increased to 600 from 550
  • Glacial Storm range increased to 625 from 600
  • Glacial Storm cooldown increased to 10 from 6
  • Glacial Storm mana cost decreased to 25/35/45 from 35/50/65
Nice much needed buff to Frostbite's range, though the mana cost for Glacial Storm is off cause it was never that low to start with. I'll update if it gets fixed.

emmkaygee

12-30-2009

yeah i dont like the cooldown increase too much myself, but it's bearable. it's nice to be able to shift your ulti faster.

Extraxi

12-30-2009

I'm almost positive that they are referring to mana cost per tick. (I saw your post in the Patch Notes thread.)

Intuition tells me that they're simply lowering the cost from 70/100/130 per sec to 50/70/90 per sec, which is pretty godly if you ask me; great for cheap farming.

The Swedish Chef

12-31-2009

Yeah I gathered that much after another post from there too. And yes, that's pretty freaking cool, it cut down the cost by a ton.

LongMiao

01-01-2010

I've been using Anivia for a while (although I bought her I dont use her much) and I find focusing on FF early is much better for the farming and harassing factor.

But with a little help from your guide I managed to go 10/1/9 in a game.

How about instead of going for RoA , we go for a Mejai's Soulstealer instead ? It worked well for me since I was constantly supporting in ganks.

And then we can change the Catalyst into a BV later.

Just my 2 cents.

MBirk

01-01-2010

I love Anivia.

Without going through the whole thread,
Anivia's damage scaling is extremely high.
Both flash frost and frost bite get .6 AP ratio. (which is low), but both skills if used properly do double damage pretty much all the time. Meaning she actually gets 1.2 AP ratio.

cata>basic boots>rod,>mehjais>merc/sorcboots>nashers>void>zhoyna's.
850 ap maxed^
Will give a 1266 flashfrost explosion, and 1256 frostbite double hit.
(of course game won't go that long, itll probably be over by nashers.)
At around 500 with some mejahs stacks, FF and FB will do 900ish.

A few things. Archangels seems like its made for Anivia, but its not great. She gets alot of mana naturally, and glacial storm does burn alot of mana. But, the cost-damage ratio isn't great. and its expensive, especially if you are getting rod of ages also. two, build over time items is a terrible idea. Mehjais is a far better choice. Its cheaper, and with your aoe, and damage you WILL be getting a ton of kills and assists.

Void and zhoynas are both great for obvious reasons, but also expensive. I recommend nashers for the AP, and CD reduction first.

One thing to be careful with anivia is being TOO dominant. Caster carries are significantly weaker then phsy dps at dropping towers, and even vs multi dps. Like twich and shaco onloading on you. Its very possible if you outpace your team, you'll effectively slow their leveling/farming/gold building from kills, and leave your phsy dps behind. And at end game, while you slowly whittle away at towers with your 78dps(100dps with nashers), the other teams full powered Yi will drop them in seconds with his 1000dps.

The Swedish Chef

01-07-2010

Bump for newbies to her, and please rate the guide post if you want.