Guide to Anivia, the Cryophoenix

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Swedish Chef

11-27-2009

Alright, guide has been updated with my newest item build!

AFKray

11-27-2009

Void staff is pretty much a staple now. However, I usually hold off on sorc boots unless I have the right opponents (not slow heavy really). RoA is still beastly, but going for a fast void is usually the way to go. Normally when I pop my Anivia in game the other team tends to stack MR quite fast. With **** like a CoH and Merc's getting a lot of MR early isn't too hard. Void just gives you so much, so I'm going to have to promote that as well.

I've tried to level Flash Frost first like you do, and I guess my findings are quite different from yours. Being able to get off two frostbites opposed to one Flash frost is just too invaluable to me. With how much juking I face, (DAM YOU BRUSH ABOOSER MEGAZERO!) landing a Flash Frost is just too unreliable. To each his own I guess.

The Swedish Chef

11-27-2009

Would you go Boots>Catalyst>Void Staff>RoA then? That's probably the only way I could see myself doing it.

And I think the whole Flash Frost vs Frostbite thing mostly has to do with how I started out playing her. I imagine Frostbite is probably better on the whole, and less mana intensive of course, but I just got very comfortable with Flash Frost early. Mostly I've found it works best vs melee heroes. Purposely letting them get close enough to fire an undodgeable FF and get the high double damage off, followed by the Frostbite after, and then followed by Glacial Storm+Wall+2nd Frostbite as they try to get away. That's how I end up with most of my kills is focusing on the melee champs.

Hique

11-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remni View Post
Would you go Boots>Catalyst>Void Staff>RoA then? That's probably the only way I could see myself doing it.
I usually get my RoA first, make my Tear then go for Void then finish ArchAngel.

AFKray

11-28-2009

like Hique said, I build RoA first simply because it takes something like 20 or so minutes to "charge" it up to get the most benefit. From there I will get a tear for mana while finishing my void staff. From there it's a question of defense vs offense, where I will have to make the decision to start building a GA or completeing my Archangel's. Usually it's the latter.

I choose FB over FF not for the mana, but for the cooldown. it's got a 5 second cooldown without reductions. Compare this to flash frost. As my normal attack sequence starts with Glacial to ensure the first crit FB, I can then shoot out an almost immediate FF to score the second burst. If you are against a melee, by the time they even get into range to hit you, you should be already on your second FB. In between the first and second burst sequences, is where I use Wall to set up positioning to ensure the FF as well as any potential escape or blocking theirs.

The Swedish Chef

11-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFKush View Post
like Hique said, I build RoA first simply because it takes something like 20 or so minutes to "charge" it up to get the most benefit. From there I will get a tear for mana while finishing my void staff. From there it's a question of defense vs offense, where I will have to make the decision to start building a GA or completeing my Archangel's. Usually it's the latter.
Yeah, that's precisely what I do, as I've listed it. I think normally right now I just choose to ignore Archangel's and go either Frozen Mallet or Zhonya's Ring. If you manage to farm up for Ring.. just wow. Of course I only do that if we're on the verge of pushing for the win, otherwise I'll farm Mallet if I'm on the defensive end, so I can sustain myself in team fights. I like drawing the attention on me in the teamfights and then having your mates beat the hell out of them if I go Egg.

MightyBolamite

12-01-2009

I'm a begining Anivia player and just learning how hard she is to play.
First, I'd like to say I appreciate that you've kept this up to date.
I just wanted to pre-emptively ask if you think you're guide will undergo much change with the patch coming out tomorrow?

I've seen one player in particular rule with Anivia with a build of items purely focused on mana and AP, with pen and reduced cd covered by runes; first of all, do you think this is a wise way to go? Secondly, it has Meja's Soulstealer in the item build, which is being changed with the patch; will it need to be replaced?
This is purely what you think. I just want some discussion on the Cryopheonix for the upcoming patch.

The Swedish Chef

12-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyBolamite View Post
I'm a begining Anivia player and just learning how hard she is to play.
First, I'd like to say I appreciate that you've kept this up to date.
I just wanted to pre-emptively ask if you think you're guide will undergo much change with the patch coming out tomorrow?

I've seen one player in particular rule with Anivia with a build of items purely focused on mana and AP, with pen and reduced cd covered by runes; first of all, do you think this is a wise way to go? Secondly, it has Meja's Soulstealer in the item build, which is being changed with the patch; will it need to be replaced?
This is purely what you think. I just want some discussion on the Cryopheonix for the upcoming patch.
Well a few things about the new patch. It's not going to change my base setup aside from one item in each build, but I will be tossing in both Mejai's and Leviathan as good options to choose from. I have thought about Mejai's in the past, but it takes time to set up, and during that time, you should be building Rod of Ages instead because of how core of an item it is. Getting Mejai's after wont really help in most cases, but it's still an option.

Leviathan on the other hand will be something I'll add to my Tank Build setup. The new build will be Leviathan>Mercury Treads>Rod of Ages>Guardian Angel. Considering how hard it is to kill Anivia most times, Leviathan will be a very massive thing, since she doesnt lose stacks upon reverting to Egg form. Again though, it needs to be bought early, and in this case, wont hurt to get it before Rod of Ages, because it's a fairly cheap item for only 1075G total.

The other item that I'll be adding is the Haunting Guise, which will replace Tear of the Goddess in the Mana Build. It costs 400 more than Tear, but grants MP Regen higher than Tear, HP Regen, +20 Magic Pen, and 10% cooldown reduction. It's better than Tear if you're not planning to go Archangel's Staff at some point.

I'll be editing the guide here within the next day or so for it though.

Edit: Oh, and to answer your question about the Magic Pen rune page, that would be up to you. Personally I plan to get the Tier 3 Magic Pen Quintessence runes and fill out my Marks portion with it as well. I'd fill out the Glyphs and Wards areas with AP runes instead.

Lonesnipa

12-02-2009

I play a tank bird myself. I haven't been able to get into a game to tweek it since the damned patch, but it went something like this item wise.

Sapphire crystal
Catalyst
Boots
Catalyst
Guardian Angel
Negaton cloak (if not 18)
Blasting Rod (if not 18)
Abyssal Scepter (if not 18)
Banshee's Veil when 18
Rod of Ages when 18

It works rather well. Not sure how well after the catalyst nerf, but I think it should still hold up. Otherwise, I'll modify this and put up my new build. Oh. Also sometimes I get the boots of swiftness before the abyssal scepter.

Which will probably just drop out a catalyst and the rod of ages.

The Swedish Chef

12-02-2009

Yeah, again I stress that you get Rod of Ages right away, as it takes at least 15 mins for it to get fully charged up. And that's not really much of a tank build to be honest.. Catalysts dont make you tanky, it's the HP+Armor+Mag Resist that does.