Guide to Anivia, the Cryophoenix

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Swedish Chef

Senior Member

11-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFKush View Post
I don't know if you updated your guide yet, but chills from other characters don't affect Frost Bite.

And for Charm's post above me, I take it you don't realize that slows DON'T stack in LOL. What you'd end up getting is the 30% slow on Frostbite, and no returns on your other skills. (this is because your other skills slow for a higher % for longer. Therefore as slows do normally in this game, the highest % lasts its duration followed by any lesser slows that go beyond the first slow's duration.)

As for the guide itself, I don't know how anyone could justify wasting money on a Doran's item...they are just so bad and don't build into anything. I'd rather take my Saph --> Cata early. The reason why it's useless is, the hp is kinda silly, as you already have an EGG and shouldn't really be thinking about going offensive until you get your bread and butter initiator that is your ult. The mana regen is also not entirely the best because you won't really be using your mana much early on for it to matter and at level 6 you will already have other items to suppliment. The AP is nice, but as I have said before, you don't start being more active in getting kills until you have your full skillset of setups for Frostbite, which by then you'll have other items for AP.


*oh found something else*

You say you should be "harassing with Flash Frost" early, and never land the Frost bite until you can ensure heavy damage. My question is this. How exactly are you going to be harassing even semi-decent players with a very slow moving nuke that has a really long cooldown until later levels AND costs a ton of mana? Not taking my personal play into account, all the good Anivia's I've played with and against can all agree that you sit on your ass and farm early on and abuse your 600 range attack and wait for a quick FF--> FB setup. FF is useless without a follow-up FB. The mana --> damage is just terrible. Hero's with any regen will simply heal that amount by the time your cooldown for another FF is up. This guide would need some in-game footage as good support for your builds because right now it just seems like theory, that frankly would not work. You mention getting Revive as Anivia.....ORLY? And a guide like yours should probably include the Eggport strat, but I don't see it in here at all. It's definitely one of the best uses of a summoner skill possible, and it really only shines when used with Anivia.

*wow keep editing this with more stuff!*

Yeah, as the poster said two posts above me, you level flash frost first? I'm sorry but most players don't even get rank 2 until like level 8. Frostbite IS your damage. Flash Frost IS your setup. You need the chill effect. You have no ranks into Crystallize which is your best support ability. Getting it at level 4 is just critical to teamplay. I don't know how many games I've played where I got that extra level of FF at level 4 only to kick myself by botching a kill at level 6 because I couldn't wall them into my Glacial Storm. The ability to wall people in/split team fights/and snare people for 5 seconds (this assuming you have the Wall glitch down to a key, which might I had is quite hard) is way to valuable to wait until level 8.\

Anyway, I'm sorry for really railing into this and it prolly came off harsh, I tend to do that, but I'm glad to see more Anivia enthusiasts and I hope you don't take it too personally. GL in the future and I would be more than happy to hop on one day and play some matches with you to see your playstyle and may give any pointers I could give!
Well lets go down the list of the things you mentioned. You are correct, I did forget to add that the chills no longer work from friendlies, although they really should, going by the description on the ability.

Second, yes I go Flash Frost early as possible due to FARMING purposes more than anything. It's allowed me on most occassions to have my Boots and Rod between 10-15 min in. I will however consider what you said about just dropping Doran's Ring, but the only reason I like the ring is the increased HP and the added AP. Also, by the time you get your Boots, now that they have Magic Pen instead, your Flash Frosts should be doing a good 25-40% of their HP with the trail+detonation at ranks 3-4. Depending on who you're laning against, of course.

For the mention on why no Wall early? Because in most games I tend to be the mid solo, so I will normally be in my lane until lvl 6-9, which happens very quickly on most occassions for me. I dont start ganking other lanes until I have my Rod of Ages, or I've pushed down the middle tower.

As for the Eggport strat? It's a bug, and I do not abuse bugs. It goes against my playstyle. The Rioters have even admitted it's a bug. As for the mention of Revive though? Well that needs updated. Lately I've found Clarity to probably be the best Summoner skill for her, supporting my early strategy of using high levels of Flash Frost. It's also great for her to have in team fights of course too. I did rank Revive up there strictly for the fact that on the rare occassion that you do die, you'll be able to jump right back in and defend what needs to be defended. It's helped many times when the enemy pushes and they've slaughtered your whole team, so you can quickly defend your turrets.

Anyways, I do thank you alot for the criticism. It's always accepted =P But I'm always ready to defend myself too. I will probably start buying the Ruby Crystal first before anything from now one however.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AFKray

Senior Member

11-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remni View Post
Well lets go down the list of the things you mentioned. You are correct, I did forget to add that the chills no longer work from friendlies, although they really should, going by the description on the ability.

Second, yes I go Flash Frost early as possible due to FARMING purposes more than anything. It's allowed me on most occassions to have my Boots and Rod between 10-15 min in. I will however consider what you said about just dropping Doran's Ring, but the only reason I like the ring is the increased HP and the added AP. Also, by the time you get your Boots, now that they have Magic Pen instead, your Flash Frosts should be doing a good 25-40% of their HP with the trail+detonation at ranks 3-4. Depending on who you're laning against, of course.

For the mention on why no Wall early? Because in most games I tend to be the mid solo, so I will normally be in my lane until lvl 6-9, which happens very quickly on most occassions for me. I dont start ganking other lanes until I have my Rod of Ages, or I've pushed down the middle tower.

As for the Eggport strat? It's a bug, and I do not abuse bugs. It goes against my playstyle. The Rioters have even admitted it's a bug. As for the mention of Revive though? Well that needs updated. Lately I've found Clarity to probably be the best Summoner skill for her, supporting my early strategy of using high levels of Flash Frost. It's also great for her to have in team fights of course too. I did rank Revive up there strictly for the fact that on the rare occassion that you do die, you'll be able to jump right back in and defend what needs to be defended. It's helped many times when the enemy pushes and they've slaughtered your whole team, so you can quickly defend your turrets.

Anyways, I do thank you alot for the criticism. It's always accepted =P But I'm always ready to defend myself too. I will probably start buying the Ruby Crystal first before anything from now one however.
I see your point for farming, but what I'm trying to say is that it's not necessary and you get better realistic returns from frostbite. Most good players will not get hit by Flash frosts. Once you have your boots its very easy to avoid it. You don't mention anything about attack cancelling into Flash Frosts for some nice trickery. If you are solo as you said, you will be 6-9 when you start ganking this is true. But this is MORE of a reason to get Frost Bite first. As you can get two off in the time it takes to get 1 flash frost (which is easily avoidable).

Frost Bite is your move. Farming is quite easy with Anivia without flash frost being maxed. If you are that worried, get rank 2 early on instead of a rank 3 flash frost and just hit the ranged creeps and use your abusrd attack range to peg the last hits. There is no denying in this game and since you did say you are solo, there won't be any competition for the creeps. Furthermore, blowing away creep waves is good and all, but that just means your opponent is just sitting at the tower soaking up exp while at the same time making you more vulnerable to ganks as you are their side of the river most of the time. Also, if you are hitting the creeps,then a smart player would simply separate himself from the creep line in order to be able to avoid your frosts, then you have to make the decision of using that precious mana to farm, or harass.

This decision is actually quite crucial, as your opponent, seeing your flash frost will know that you have no real offensive capabilities for another 10 or so seconds. Plenty of time for their solo to harass you to kingdom come. Since most solo's are typically an Ashe, Teemo, Trist, Corki, etc they have plenty of abilities to punish you. However, a maxed Frost Bite allows you do setup a glacial--> fb to be able to get them off you RELIABLY. That is the key word. In theory FF would work, but in game play, you will miss and it will be dodged. FB can't. Your concepts are great but they seem to breakdown when you factor in opponents of the same assumed skill level as yourself.

Also, your point about Ice Wall is quite confusing. It's main use, especially in the solo lane, IS TO LAND YOUR FF. Icewall creates a new pathing command to players who have to now move around it. This pathing is predictable. You use Ice Wall after or before a glacial to ensure they stay in it longer, and make their movements predictable. The key to Anivia is manipulating movement. Ice Wall is your main source to do this, (glacial being your secondary, and FF being your tertiary). And as a note, if you are killing your solo lane opponent, you are denying them gold + exp + giving you gold + exp. Its a two way swing, as opposed to straight up farming where you only are gaining gold while they are as well, along with XP thanks to Mr. Tower. I will say, I've definitely used clairty and for your reasons, I also like it. However, can you please point me towards the response where Riot has said that using teleport while in Egg-mode is a bug? I'd like to read it first-hand if ya don't mind, as i was unaware.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hique

Senior Member

11-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFKush View Post

As for the guide itself, I don't know how anyone could justify wasting money on a Doran's item...they are just so bad and don't build into anything. I'd rather take my Saph --> Cata early. The reason why it's useless is, the hp is kinda silly, as you already have an EGG and shouldn't really be thinking about going offensive until you get your bread and butter initiator that is your ult. The mana regen is also not entirely the best because you won't really be using your mana much early on for it to matter and at level 6 you will already have other items to suppliment. The AP is nice, but as I have said before, you don't start being more active in getting kills until you have your full skillset of setups for Frostbite, which by then you'll have other items for AP.


*wow keep editing this with more stuff!*

Yeah, as the poster said two posts above me, you level flash frost first? I'm sorry but most players don't even get rank 2 until like level 8. Frostbite IS your damage. Flash Frost IS your setup. You need the chill effect. You have no ranks into Crystallize which is your best support ability. Getting it at level 4 is just critical to teamplay. I don't know how many games I've played where I got that extra level of FF at level 4 only to kick myself by botching a kill at level 6 because I couldn't wall them into my Glacial Storm. The ability to wall people in/split team fights/and snare people for 5 seconds (this assuming you have the Wall glitch down to a key, which might I had is quite hard) is way to valuable to wait until level 8.\
First off, I honestly don't think you utilize Anivia to her full potential if you're waiting till level 6 to do anything. I usually get First blood every game or an early kill at level 2. Learn how to nail your skill flash frost than hit with frost bite ignite.

I can't tell who you're talking to in the second paragraph but it's talking about my post. But a lot of that isn't really accurate either.

Again, gj putting together a long guide but most of it isn't right. If you're using you're ult to do ANYTHING but slow than you need to relearn this hero. You shouldn't even level Glacial past level 1 because it sucks your mana way to much. It is a slow more than damage. Yes it is good for AOE fights but it's not worth losing all you're mana.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AFKray

Senior Member

11-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hique View Post
First off, I honestly don't think you utilize Anivia to her full potential if you're waiting till level 6 to do anything. I usually get First blood every game or an early kill at level 2. Learn how to nail your skill flash frost than hit with frost bite ignite.

I can't tell who you're talking to in the second paragraph but it's talking about my post. But a lot of that isn't really accurate either.

Again, gj putting together a long guide but most of it isn't right. If you're using you're ult to do ANYTHING but slow than you need to relearn this hero. You shouldn't even level Glacial past level 1 because it sucks your mana way to much. It is a slow more than damage. Yes it is good for AOE fights but it's not worth losing all you're mana.
If you are getting first bloods at level 2, without any support then you are playing bad people. Plain and simple. If you are playing people who get nailed with Flash Frost that easily, you are playing bad people. Even if you FF->FB-> ignite, then you really arent' factoring in the summoner spells of the opponent. At level 2 normally you don't use your ignite, but instead bait their flash/heal. I say this because most carries who take middle lane utilize flash. Obviously it is an assumption but it's rather safe to make. Glacial actually has quite the nice returns on damage seeing as it ticks every half-second instead of what hte tooltip mentions. Your teammates should be helping you get the golem, as I usually have it on me for most of the game. At least I gank when I do have it. Normally why I ward it and theirs. The slow is used for chill, so you are right. I don't level it to level 2 until I max out FF first. The reason being, lower cooldown and higher damage is better. However I would gladly like to play you and would like to see you "teach" me this first blood at level 2 that you preach. I have played with the best Anivia's out there and I'm pretty sure (I'd have to ask them tonight or something) they would agree with me. But, I'm open for you to change my mind, just friend me.

Oh, and if you are going to claim you don't level Glacial past level 1...why do you suggest it like 4 posts up as your 10 and 11 skills? I simply can't find a justification for NOT getting at level 6. It makes no sense and is frankly against the design of the hero, namely to utilize the chill effect. You are telling me that your Flash Frosting skills are so nasty that somehow you can manage to land 2 frost bites after 1 flash frost? Of course not. I rarely even keep Glacial going for more than a second around level 6. I USE it to initiate. The purpose of getting it is to be able to hit 2 frost bites instead of only 1 that you get from a Flash Frost. It's a large AoE, with a nice range and it's VERY hard to dodge. I can land a Frost bite instantly after landing a glacial and therefore I cancel it right away. From there I have a slowed hero, completely open for a Flash Frost. I use Glacial for the chill effect and since its vastly superior as an initiator and way more reliant, I simply can't see how your build is anyway good. From the looks of it you aren't even listed in the top 500 ELO, so it's safe to say that what you do may work at your caliber of play, but in higher level games it won't work.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hique

Senior Member

11-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFKush View Post
If you are getting first bloods at level 2, without any support then you are playing bad people. Plain and simple. If you are playing people who get nailed with Flash Frost that easily, you are playing bad people. Even if you FF->FB-> ignite, then you really arent' factoring in the summoner spells of the opponent. At level 2 normally you don't use your ignite, but instead bait their flash/heal. I say this because most carries who take middle lane utilize flash. Obviously it is an assumption but it's rather safe to make. Glacial actually has quite the nice returns on damage seeing as it ticks every half-second instead of what hte tooltip mentions. Your teammates should be helping you get the golem, as I usually have it on me for most of the game. At least I gank when I do have it. Normally why I ward it and theirs. The slow is used for chill, so you are right. I don't level it to level 2 until I max out FF first. The reason being, lower cooldown and higher damage is better. However I would gladly like to play you and would like to see you "teach" me this first blood at level 2 that you preach. I have played with the best Anivia's out there and I'm pretty sure (I'd have to ask them tonight or something) they would agree with me. But, I'm open for you to change my mind, just friend me.

Oh, and if you are going to claim you don't level Glacial past level 1...why do you suggest it like 4 posts up as your 10 and 11 skills? I simply can't find a justification for NOT getting at level 6. It makes no sense and is frankly against the design of the hero, namely to utilize the chill effect. You are telling me that your Flash Frosting skills are so nasty that somehow you can manage to land 2 frost bites after 1 flash frost? Of course not. I rarely even keep Glacial going for more than a second around level 6. I USE it to initiate. The purpose of getting it is to be able to hit 2 frost bites instead of only 1 that you get from a Flash Frost. It's a large AoE, with a nice range and it's VERY hard to dodge. I can land a Frost bite instantly after landing a glacial and therefore I cancel it right away. From there I have a slowed hero, completely open for a Flash Frost. I use Glacial for the chill effect and since its vastly superior as an initiator and way more reliant, I simply can't see how your build is anyway good. From the looks of it you aren't even listed in the top 500 ELO, so it's safe to say that what you do may work at your caliber of play, but in higher level games it won't work.
1) I'm currently level 17, 58-25(several losses from playing with RL friends who are honestly awful but I'd rather play for fun with them than worry about my record suffering). So i'm out of "Newbie Island"

2) I NEVER said take Glacial as a level 10 or 11 skill, you are either reading the wrong post or you like to make up facts because I never take it past level 6 because it's a slow to set up your frostbite or just to slow than wall. It eats up to much mana to take past level 6 unless you're level 18 who is farmed or insanely fed.

3) I can't tell if you're saying I said to not take Glacial, if you think that then I really have no clue what posts you are reading because I clearly say don't level it more than once due to the mana drain. Yes you keep it only for a split second just to set up a stun/wall or just to slow so you can catch them.

4) If I started playing this game a lot earlier like all of the top 500 ELO players, i'd be up there. So, judging someones skill or evalution of a hero based on that shows how little you may know. Feel free to contact me in game and verify =]

5) I don't usually solo as Anivia because I usually play with friends and one of them is usually Ashe. Level 2 I coordinate a gank with my other teammate whos bot/top with me and sometimes Mid if needed. So yes level 2 kills arn't always a gurantee due to people running heal and so but Anivia has the most burst potential at level 2. Paired with ignite and another hero usually you can take someone down if you nail your Flash Frost perfect. It also depends on the heros you are against as well.

I'd suggest reading the posters name before responding to it, because you have me confused with the OP(Rem) who says Glacial at 10 and 11. You seem like you have an idea of what you're talking about, but it's hard to take you serious when you don't even know who you're talking too.

I'm not trying to flame you, and I'm sure you arn't trying to flame me just trying to get some things straight.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Swedish Chef

Senior Member

11-24-2009

Well look, everyone has their own playstyle, and that's what I probably should change in this. Add different skill list setups and such.

As for me, I've tried the suggested method you've made AFKush, and it just does not work for me. It doesnt feel comfortable in how I play at all, and I feel like I'm doing too little damage early game. That's it plain and simple. The skill list I have up there I've been using since she was first released in beta and I've never seen a need to change that method. As I said, to each his own, what works best for me doesnt have to be the same as your best.

So yes, please keep it civil guys.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Banon Wraith

Junior Member

11-26-2009

I'm new to the game and frankly a horrible player (huge feeder) though I'm still enjoying the game greatly. Although you three seem to have different opinions and styles of play I have enjoyed hearing the options I have. The guide that Remni put forth isn't going to cover every aspect of the character in a game that is very complicated but for someone like me who is at the moment out of his depths, it gives me some where to start.

Thanks for all your help
The Feeder


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Swedish Chef

Senior Member

11-26-2009

Thanks for the feedback, Banon, glad to see it's helping you.

Also, updated the starting item builds, taking suggestion of what AFKush said. I do like starting off with a Ruby or Sapphire Crystal more now.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Scrimshaw

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-26-2009

Interesting. Remni is by the way the best Anivia player i know for all those reading his guide.


I have some questions for you
Where you use frozen mallet in your tank build would Rylai's Scepter work the same but add AP? Im assuming not or you would have already tested this.

2nd is more of a sugestion in your mana build add a Liche Bane to the build maybe as a last item. This item will give you 80AP with 350mana both stats are great for your build but also it adds 32 magic resist wich will help survivability. and 7% movement speed which will combat Anivia's movement speed problems you mentioned earlier. The kicker is with all the other senergy this adds to your build the passive will do some great damage with your AP on your next auto attack allowing for even more burst.

Good work on your guide


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Swedish Chef

Senior Member

11-27-2009

Actually I have a new setup I've been running as of late, completely ignoring Archangel Staff. I'll throw it up there later, but currently I got Ruby or Sapphire Crystal, then Sorc Boots, then Catalyst to Rod of Ages. After I get Tear of the Goddess and then Void Staff. Void Staff's 40% magic pen has proven for be incredibly effective for Anivia. I've been able to take a tanked out Cho'gath with 3.5-4k hp down to 50% hp with just a Flash Frost+Frostbite+Storm combo late game thanks to it. After the Void Staff, depending on how the game is going, I'll either go Frozen Mallet, Veil or finish off the Archangel's.