Guide to Anivia, the Cryophoenix

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Karmakin

02-15-2010

Solo-mid vs. Karthus is really nasty. Personally, don't do it, as mentioned or play defensively and don't lose too much.

I play her slightly differently, (she is my current main), and it seems to work pretty well.

Start with Q and a Ruby, other than ult, level E as fast as you can. E is really what makes Ani work very well. My first three items are Rod of Ages, Boots (either Sorcerer's or Mercury), and Mejij's. Mejij's is good as you'll probably get a lot of assists, and will quickly build stacks. After that, I usually go for the Ring, then Lich Bane.

Ganking is really a bad idea. Ani's slow movement, if an enemy gets a sight of her will allow the other team to set up an ambush/gank. Likewise, if you are flanking a team fight, come in from the side if at all possible, and not the back. You don't have the HP to survive them focusing on you, which is a lot more likely to happen if you come from behind.

For summoner skills, I pick up Clarity and Teleport. Clarity allows me to be more aggressive with my spells, and Teleport gets me to where team fights are going to happen.

This build of Ani, you become pretty much the center of the entire team. You're not the carry, but between your quick stun and mass slow effects, as well as your massive spike damage, Ani is best in a teamfight situation.

The other thing, is that because Ani is so underplayed, I find that few players know how to oppose her. They don't realize about the massive spike potential she has, or how much damage she can dish out. (Stun, Frostbite, Storm, Frostbite takes a lot of mana but it does a lot of damage).

Most of all, they don't realize about the egg. I've seen more people do a tower dive just to "egg" me and get a death for their troubles than I can count. Be aggressive if you have your egg, especially if you have a partner. Chances are early on they won't be able to kill the egg, allowing you to pop back up and probably kill the lane opponent(s)

dovvntempo

02-15-2010

well i went solo mid with anivia a couple games tonight and in two of those games, I faced a karthus. The second gave me more trouble, but I have to say I noticed something.

I think karthus players are used to someone going backwards toward their tower, as they will put lay waste behind you as you go backwards. So do the opposite. Stay at a closer range to karthus and your Q + move + E combo will be easier to hit and you will completely dodge his lay waste.

I can't say how effective anivia can be against karthus b/c of the move speed. But I will say this... you can quickly turn from being the harassed to harasser with anivia's burst. As he spams his lay waste trying to get you he runs out of mana. Then you have more freedom to harass with auto attacks and keep him at around a low hp for the later burst ( I use clarity / ignite).

with his low hp, and anivia's crazy burst, it's easy for him to die if he makes a mistake. Anivia also has the luxury of being able to lane longer than karthus thanks to her passive. Maybe it's a matter of not laning against a great karthus, or anivia's burst damage being a deterrent to an overly aggressive lich. Meh.

Arneris

02-28-2010

With Anivia you cant really go very wrong in how you build her, she is a very versatile champion.

Personally I find her best placed in mid so she can level up in peace since she is quite easilly ganked in the side lanes and she is also hard to partner with. You really need a clued in partner if you want to do the side lanes or else you will only end up cursing your partner for constantly chasing the enemy out of the way of your flash frost and your inabillity to chase after people or do anything since your skills are still in cooldown. Putting you in mid also means the enemies mid will have a very hard time because of your harassing abillities and your staying power which can really dent their leveling and gold gains since you can force them to recall quite a lot while denying them champion kills. Anivia is a better mid then any cocky Ashe any day imho.

My hardest vs is probably Morgana. Sure, Nidalee is pretty much unkillable for Anivia in mid, but atleast she isn't much of a threat to me either. I rip apart Twitches, Ashes, Ryzes, Teemos and although not the easiest to deal with, I can whittle down Sivirs faster then vice versa and you have a lot more staying power usually which can make her lag behind. Even more so if she gets cocky and makes a mistake and dies. Just be cautious since one mistake vs Sivir will cost you your tower most likely.

As for starter items: You have a few great options. Boots may sound silly, but they are actually a great help. They will make you a lot less of a sitting duck since you can now dodge and weave which make boots a great defensive item and you can get first blood a lot more easilly. Without boots I mostly get a flash frost in at max range and by the time Im there my opponent is barely still in range for a frostbite, if that. The HP crystal is also a great item. You seem so much more intimidating with a bigger hp pool and your egg that it can work disheartening on you enemy and any hp counts double for anivia with the egg which is great if they try to tower dive you and the manage to egg you, they will kill themselves while you still live through egg thanks to your added hp. The mana crystal is also decent, but I found it to be less helpfull. 200 mana is still only a drop in a bucket for Anivia and getting other items and playing conservative till you get catalyst the protector does me more good personally.

As for item order: I start with either boots or ruby(the hp crystal) followed up by the one of these two I didn't take.
Next I wait till I can complete my catalyst. The catalyst is such a great item. It gives you a LOT of staying power and there is nothing more funny then for an enemy to get colse to you to go for the kill, thinking you are oom and half dead, only for you to level up just in time and completely turn the tide.
After I complete catalyst I don't change it into the rod right away. I usually keep it till around level 14(depending on how the match goes ofcourse) for the free heals and for the fact that my next item is Mejaj's. Really, soulstealer seems to be very overlooked on Anivia and with her survivabillity it can add a lot of AP very quickly and is quite the bargain.
After soulstealer I usually finish my rod and my boots (any boot is fine really, depending on what you find you need most) Sometimes the rod is the last item I finish which might seem like it defeats the purpose of getting it at all, but having the catalyst early on and it losing its utillity later on is the biggest reason I build up to the rod at all. Rod of Ages won't make you a killing machine or a tank, even at full bonus, it's just a decent all purpose boost item.
Finally I just go for either AP/cooldown redux or defense. Soulstealer is really all you need for AP if you can manage to stack it up. Guardian angel armor is great on Anivia. It's effect comes before your egg when you die which is a double lifesaver since nothing is more frustrating then getting egged a few inches outside of your turrets range with two champions hacking away while you can do nothing but die. Atleast the guardian angel will give you a chance to reach safety before getting egged and it adds greatly to your armor and magic resist.

For summoner skills I personally swear by teleport. Anivia's mana usage is insane and teleport allows me to recall and get back into the action all charged up again in a few seconds. Clarity really does not cut it in the latter half of the game and early game, with Anivia's long cooldowns I don't find myself wanting a one time direct mana recharge enough to get clarity at all. You either just need enough mana for flash-frostbite combo to kill someone(since you can't cast anything else anyway because of the cooldown) or you will have already gotten catalyst which more then does the job of giving you the needed mana more often. Anivia uses mana so quick that clarity just becomes a sporadic drop in the ocean. I find heal giving me more staying power in the early stages to null harassing done to me while I wait for an opening to swoop in and nuke their butts.

As for how I play her: I play her as if she is a cobra when I'm mid. I sit behind my minions, not moving much, waiting till something gets into to striking range, lulled by my seemingly passiveness. I take the chances I get for harassing to whitle down the enemies hp a bit while not seeming to agressive to the point where I think a flash frost-frostbite combo and a few auto attacks can finish them off and then I hit them hard and fast. Don't be to afraid to sit there at half health or even a quarter since in the early stages, a flasfrost and frostbite combo is enough to take a very big chunk out of the health of most enemy champs and you having low hp will make the enemy greedy. Your egg can make them real sorry since even if egged and they stay and hit on you, you will most often be reborn with a hp advantage and your doom combo ready to go again on a very hurt enemy from your first combo.

Late game, Anivia is a great counterpusher and when built up properly is a killing machine that can keep your group safe when they start pushing by killing enemies in seconds if they get to close or covering your groups retreat with walls and AoE slows. Also, if things go sour you make a great defender since you can be very hard to bring down while you are tower hugging since you can whipe out waves of minions very fast and your burst damage and wall can make it very deadly for even quite fed enemies to get near your tower, while you rack up the gold and soulstealer stacks, getting stronger and stronger and can really turn the tide. Having around 250 minion kills in the end is really not that much of an exception for Anivia

Edit: About Karthus, I love Karthus vs when I'm solo mid. Just keep your distance since you can outrange him and if he starts being agressive and chase you he will regret it after a flash+forstbite combo. You have a 1up, he doesnt. Also, most Karth players are so busy clicking around trying to hit you or minions they miss your flashfrost coming their way since it's just another bleu ball like the rest of your attacks.

Edit edit: Lol, blue balls.

MBirk

02-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneris View Post
With Anivia you cant really go very wrong in how you build her, she is a very versatile champion.

Personally I find her best placed in mid so she can level up in peace since she is quite easilly ganked in the side lanes and she is also hard to partner with. You really need a clued in partner if you want to do the side lanes or else you will only end up cursing your partner for constantly chasing the enemy out of the way of your flash frost and your inabillity to chase after people or do anything since your skills are still in cooldown.
What?
Anivia is probably the single strongest team champ in the game. She can duo with literally any other champ for near complete dominance. sivir/taric are probably the only two that can compete.

She is very powerful solo mid. But she SO strong with a teammate, that going mid is almost a waste of her potential.

A good karthus might ruin you as anivia. Defile+flash+rylais or wall and you are done. Just be wary. Harass him, like hes harassing you with lay waste. stay near your npcs. do not let him into defile range if you can. try to keep your distance. If he doesnt have flash or ghostwalk you are in good shape, but if he still manages to get on top of you, you probably wont be able to get away. FF,FB and storm, you can hit him just as hard as hes hitting you.

Golem is pretty much a must have for Anivia. Let your team know you want it at all times. and even employ them to help you get it early. Solo you need to be full at like level 8-10 to solo it. And it will still burn most of your mana and hp, really slowing you down. You want it at 4+, so get your lane partner to help you fast with as little hp/mp loss as possible.

The Swedish Chef

02-28-2010

I disagree that going mid with her is a waste of potential. I practically carried a game hard earlier today because I was mid. Got 3 kills early on a Kassadin of all champions, first was an assist from a side ganker, then I killed him twice on my own. Really hard to do, cause you have to be VERY quick on your micro to get a Storm/Frostbite off before his Silence hits you.

Ended the game at 14/2/8 because they surrendered.

I swear I can never get a super high Anivia score anymore just because everyone surrenders before I can even get there. A fed Anivia can win an entire game all on her own.

Not to say she doesnt dominate either by going duo. Though my last game of the day was particularly bad. Got ganked hard early by a Flash Fiddle which ruined my leveling for the rest of the game. Not easy to deal with.

Anyways, thanks for the replys guys. Good to see my Anivia guide is still at the top.

Extraxi

02-28-2010

Also, just to throw a question out there, but can anyone comment on the viability of getting a Deathfire on Anivia? I recently played a game against a team that was really tanky (Mordekaiser and Alistar.. FML), and I was trying it out, hearing that it was a good counter to tanks. I found that it really wasn't very effective at all and the damage it dealt was not very significant. Is it affected by MR? If so, it seems like a fairly useless item unless you get a Void with it. But if you're getting a Void, you might as well just go for crazy AP instead. Any thoughts appreciated, and maybe some tips for maximizing the usefulness of the Deathfire if it is indeed used with Anivia.

The Swedish Chef

02-28-2010

Deathfire is actually a really good item on Anivia just for combined burst damage. I normally get it after RoA and Mejais, mostly because more Mejais stacks increase the damage output of the Deathfire. What you have to realize with Deathfire is you need to either use it as your first attack against the tank so it does the most damage, or use it as a finisher. It is reduced by MR, but it will always do at least 300 damage.

Arneris

03-01-2010

Anivia mid is not in any way a wasted potential.

She is such a strong mid that it can really set back the opposing team's mid which is a big help to your's, maybe even moreso then helping get a few kills in the side lanes. Having a very strong mid can really decide the match.

Anivia can be good with other people in the sidelanes, but she IS hard to partner with and you need a clued in partner or else you WILL get ganked on in the sidelanes in the laning phases, especially against skilled opponents or certain champ combos. In the start Anivia is very strong 1vs1 and can kick pretty much anyones butt, but her long cooldowns, low hp and speed leave her very vulnerable to get ganked upon in the side lanes where you have 2 people to worry about and are generally further from your tower. Despite her egg, Anivia will still go down like a wet towel when focussed on. CAN she do good in the sidelanes? SURE, she can do great, however Anivia can be an insane carry because you can fly along with your group while making a push and annihilate anything and everything that gets near. And while you are the carry, your enemy will mostly have a very weak one since Anivia was so strong at mid, so it is a double bladed sword.

Karthus can ruin your day, but Karthus is also very squishy and at the start he is very helpless aswell and your range>>>his range. Usually you can get a few kills on him even before level 4 or 5 and once he starts lagging behind you can really destroy him. And if you find you cant kill him, you can easilly stay out of his range. Altho in a head to head, I have still destroyed any Karth I met yet and no, they werent bad Karths either. Anivia just has a lot of spike damage and Karth is very squishy.. But like I said I go for the ruby at the start and heal as a summoner skill so I am actually very durable. So it could be just a playstyle issue, but for me Karths are no problem. Margana tho is a whole different story..../shudder

RHINO Mk II

03-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneris View Post
...but her long cooldowns...
What?

Arneris

03-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO Mk II View Post
What?

In the early stages your Flashfrost has a 12seconds cooldown. That is ages when you dont have anything else to cast or help your lane partner. By the time your cooldowns are actually acceptible you will have mostly moved out of the laning phase already.

On a different note:

It appears there is a very serious bug with Guardian Angel armor on Anivia. I have had quite a few occasions now where both my Guardian Angel and my egg were off cooldown and upon death the Guardian Angel did NOT ressurrect me. What is worse, when this happens it will also cancel out your egg causing you to DIE despite supposedly having two ressurrections ready.