Guide to Anivia, the Cryophoenix

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xxiem

01-07-2010

Personally, I like to use my raichu to weaken it initially. You can get articuno pretty low with normal attacks after you use a thunderbolt or w/e. Then I like to swap out for my butterfree with sleep/stun spore. Makes sure you save before you engage though... it's a real ***** to walk through ice cave again!

Gazpar

01-07-2010

Anivia has been my favorite hero since I started back in July. Here are some additional things to consider:

Runes: still working on the ideal, but I really like a mix of HP, magic pen, and AP. The early HP really lets you play aggressive with her and a magic penetration build is one of my favorites and I highly recommend getting the tier 3 magic pen marks.

Skills: I almost always level up the following way

FF,FB,FB,wall,FB,ulti,FB

From here I vary depending on what my team needs. Most people don't recognize how freaking ridiculous the wall ability is. Yes you could do a bit more damage by leveling FF, BUT why not cut off that hero completely and let your team annihilate them. Wall is probably the best spell for ganking in jungles. I usually level it to at least level 2-3 before switching back to FF. The exceptions to this rule is if I feel my team would benefit from more damage, which usually isn't the case with the abundance of physical carries being played. But I just want to emphasize the importance of mastering wall usage to any Anivia player, it will win your team the game. Also, using FF to farm is dangerous because intelligent stealth players will wait for you to throw it before they initiate, knowing its long cool down leaves you more or less at their mercy if they have calculated properly. Use FB to farm and if you have excess mana/mana buff your ulti along with auto attack. This also lets you level wall up a bit more without being dependent on FF.

Combos: I didn't see this mentioned so I'll add this. The obvious combo is to open with a wall then throw out the FF to stun the side the fleeing hero is moving then follow with a FB and auto attack. This is a great way to do early damage, especially before level 6 where ulti can be used to easily apply debuff. This is also a great way to initiate a fight...creep up till you see your casting range is just behind the enemy, cast the wall and throw out the FF and follow it up. It is a good way to initiate without being as obvious as just throwing the FF out there because the wall range is so far and most people's reaction is to simply click back without paying attention to the incoming FF. Again wall positioning is key.

Also, if they are playing very defensively, go on the offense, cut them off the creep line with your ridiculous attack range and use FB to pick off creeps for gold, it is a cheap spell to use.

Items: The main ones have been mentioned but I want to add a couple that I have found to be great.

Boots of mobility: yes, you are slow as hell, this lets you play very aggressive mid game by getting in on those ganks and getting out to the golem buffs for that crucial mana buff. Also, 100 less than sorc boots and they let you chase much better.

Abyssal scepter: This is an awesome item, great for magic pen builds, and gives you AP and MR. If the other team has lots of magic damage, try this. I like it because it gives me what i need in the mid game, damage and survivability. Don't knee jerk into buying a banshee. This is great for your teammates too.

Leet mask: Awesome for early game, hp/mana regen, cd, magic pen at a great price. I often go magic pen build and get this, scepter, boots, and runes which really puts the hurt on. Keep this in mind, for the most part if they have over 100 MR pure AP is better, but if they have less magic pen is better. Most of the targets you want to go for are getting damage items, and minimal magic resist. With these items I'm doing 50-60 magic pen, enough to deal with most hero's MR.

Maji's: I liked the old one better but lately i've given this another try. It is great for giving you early AP at a reasonable price and with Anivia you almost never die so you dont lose charges and with all your aoe damage you get tons of assists if not kills. I often go games without dying once so this item is back on my list of potentials. A definite if your opponents are not great and you think you can avalanche it.

Zhonya's: This is your late game masterpiece.

Note: build according to what you need, look at your enemy, what is he getting. You shouldnt just be building the same thing every game. Also, you dont have to finish one item after another. I often see ppl make one high level item at a time. If i need MR bad I get a cloak of negation and worry about making it a scepter or veil later, completing items is expensive and you need to focus on what is better in the immediate. I'd rather finish my rod of ages or magis after that cloak so i can accrue benefits from those while the game progresses, but at the same time i really need that MR. If their team does all physical damage, plan on at least one armor item, if nothing else the item 700g +armor breastplate thing.

Know what's coming. The last week I've had teams just suicide me to try to kill me. Yes I die, but my team aces them. If they are going to go after you make them pay. You have a godly wall, a stun, and a slow. Give them hell then hopefully you'll be reborn...if not your team hopefully has killed all of them. I love it when I'm the target, because it means their team is going to die and we are likely going to at least take an inhibitor.

Summoner skills: What I prefer is usually twoof the following Ghost, clarvoiyance, clarity, cleanse. I also recommend you seriously look at smite. I thought smite was horrible until i tried it out. With anivia, you have to really farm those mana buffs and smite lets you do it fast without taking damage and gets you back in the game. I still think it is inferior to the few mentioned above but it is an option.

The Swedish Chef

01-18-2010

Giving this a bump for newbies to her, and to also mention the changes on Anivia's Frostbite and Glacial Storm went through. She now has a longer range with both and Storm got it's costs massively reduced.

Goodbye Days

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2010

Quote:
Passive: On dying, Cryophoenix will revert into an egg. If the egg can survive for six seconds, she is gloriously reborn.
Do you know if Anivia is suppose to lose the neutral buffs upon triggering her passive? Currently, as far as I know, she loses the buff when she turns into the egg. I don't think the buff is passed to the enemy either.

I know Anivia does not lose elixir buffs when she turns into the egg. Or at least the oracle, since it didn't go away in one of my games, but the buffs always do

GENERAL NUTBAKED

01-19-2010

thanks for the tips, will keep practicing after you raped me with attack speed anivia :/

The Swedish Chef

01-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbye Days View Post
Do you know if Anivia is suppose to lose the neutral buffs upon triggering her passive? Currently, as far as I know, she loses the buff when she turns into the egg. I don't think the buff is passed to the enemy either.

I know Anivia does not lose elixir buffs when she turns into the egg. Or at least the oracle, since it didn't go away in one of my games, but the buffs always do
Yes I did know about her losing rune buffs when she turns to an egg, and it's actually a bug. One they were meant to fix with the last patch, in fact.

LongMiao

01-19-2010

Free bump for the Cry-OP-hoenix.

An awesome lane control/CC character that has a ridiculous amount of burst damage as well.

Nigtron

01-19-2010

the ap build anivia is the best! Ive tried so many combos!!!! ITS ALMOST ENDLESS!!! ANIVIA RULES!

HeLawlsAtYouSon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2010

Doran's ring as anivia, what do you think?

The Swedish Chef

01-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLawlsAtYouSon View Post
Doran's ring as anivia, what do you think?
Doran's is a great item, since it gives HP and AP, but I find the Ruby Crystal is usually best to give you better early laning survivability, especially if you're soloing. Not to mention a Catalyst as early as possible gives complete lane control with her without having to worry about being overly aggressive.