What is lux's playstyle, and viability?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

volaju

07-16-2011

I'm considering buying lux right now, she seems very decent and fun, but I really don't know what to expect when actually playing her.

Does she fill an AP carry role at all late in the game? Can she control and win teamfights basically, or is her damage output too low for that?

Is she designated support, and as such low priority when it comes to getting killing blows / creep kills?

How often do you see her in high level games, and does she perform well in them?

Also I suppose generic questions might as well be asked. How should I build her, what runes / mastery / items?

Thanks for any input =P

Umezete

07-16-2011

She's kinda a ap support. Her damage output is too low to carry and in team fights you should be aiming at snaring a squishy while bursting them and shield allies under fire.

She's solid at kiting though so that is a plus.

Saotru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-16-2011

I'm 1700~ and i see Lux every... 20-26 games.
In my opnion~ Shes not bad, since she has as many damage skills as Karthus, Anivia and Annie~ the problem is that her 2 damage normal skills have a CC effect~ so it has less flat damage and ap ratio... Her ulti is fair enought to be good as Karthus-Anivia-Annie ultis, and her defensive skill is ok, since Karthus has Wall, Anivia has Wall and Annie has Shield. The main problem is those 2 CCs... it makes her do less damage~ so you actually need another good ap damage output.
Well, if u have a team with bad CC, she may be better than raw damage champs, like Vlad. But if u need an AP carry, u may have better options~
But i don't think shes a support. If you check Janna, Taric, Sona, Orianna and Soraka, they all have "effect" based ultis. A huge area stun or pull or heal~~ Your basic skills are "laning" skills, the right using of your Ultimate ability is what will decide battles on higher elos. Well, at least on fair games.

--Yes, i don't speak english, sorry. but i tried to help as i could.

RSPSquid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-17-2011

i totally disagree to both the comments above. i main lux, and while i can't say i've got a billion games under my belts. she is quite possibly one of the best champions i've ever played.

She's deffinitly not easy to pick up on playing, and you will struggle for a bit.
Her play style is laid back, you attack from a distance and you do LOADS of damage.

With saotru's comment, though he might be right in some aspects, i carry most games as lux, end game my ulti takes off 50-60% of 4/5 of the enemys team hp (exception being the tank)

position it correctly, throw in a snare for your ashe or fiddle to gain some distance on that trynd, throw in a perfect ulti, add an annie or fiddle's ulti, and you will win the game. ive saved so many team mates with my shield, + slows + snares. and ive sniped that many kills with my ulti. shes like a sniper. with a hard to move from ulti if positioned correctly, and i run clairvoyance. i've turned that many 's into 's from finishing them off with an ulti just when they think they've escaped that, that alone purely entertains me.

but yeah. i dominate early game, almost always go 3+ within lane phase depending on partners.
feel free to check my match history. i just finished a game going 6-0-18, in a 53minute game, with a decent team. the next least deaths being 6. lux depends on you staying back, and using that ulti to **** off those runners and just being REALLY map aware.

run flash + CV
standard mpen marks, mp5 seals, and im going to be buying cdr glyphs when i grind the IP
AP quints.

feel free to also add me in game if you want some pointers or etc. GL!

MidgetMonkeyMan

07-18-2011

I agree with RawrBlargh. She can carry, like pretty much any champ in the game, as long as you play them right. I consistently do the most damage when I play her. She is harder to play since 3 out of her 4 skills are skill shots. She can't really play the roll of support in my opinion, but she doesn't have to carry the team either. I like lots of CD on her just because her skills have low cool down already, especially with her lazor. It helps her to be able to constantly use her abilities. And trust me, spamming her lazor every 24 seconds is fun. A tip for playing her: Throw out singularity, snare them, do a basic attack to proc her passive, then detonate singularity and hit them again to proc her passive a second time. With a sheen or deathcap, that combo destroys people. You can do it in the reverse as well, but I feel my way is faster and it's easier to snare them since they are slowed.
My masteries go 9-0-21
My runes are mpen marks, flat mana seals, 6pmen and 3 cd glyphs, 1 flat cd quint, and 2 scaling cd quints.
For my build, I start with meki pendant and 2 health pots. I then go tear of goddess, boots of speed and then the mejai's soulstealer. I then finish get the sorcerers boots or sheen and finish the archangel staff. I then get morello's evil tome or lich bane, and finish with a rabadon's deathcap.
I run flash and CV for spells

Cenerae

07-19-2011

Lux is long range burst damage with a bit of support thrown in. If you're playing her right, you'll rarely be getting focus fired since you'll be way at the back of the battle, yet still contributing fully. She has a decent laning phase (and makes a decent solo too, though some melee solos can be very risky to solo against), and good burst damage. It tapers off sharply once you hit lvl 11, since her spells don't scale amazingly well. Good enough to make the AP worth it, but not as good as some.

Lazer's insane range and short cooldown lets you use it for pretty much anything you want once you hit lvl 11 (since the cooldown at lvl 6 is a bit too long, and the damage too low to just spam it). Farming, ganking, poking, whatever you like. Getting good at predicting enemy movement can sometimes net you some hilarious long-range sniper kills too.

Overall her damage isn't THAT good compared to a lot of casters, and the damage is harder to make count since mlost of it comes from skillshots. But, if you can land her spells she'll do heavy burst at the start of the fight. Her shield is also very good if you can aim it right (and assumming your team mates don't keep juking it <_<), in fact it's potentially one of the best damage shields in the game. Most people will tell you it sucks, of course. But it doesn't.

Ripjaws

07-19-2011

A lichbane Lux is a dead Lux. She's not meant to get in your face.

Xtractor

07-19-2011

max cdr with blue buff, spam long range skills to get your team as much kills as possible, build ap carry while supporting team,

RSPSquid

07-19-2011

Lux can EASILY carry a team fight, if there all bundled up, e + ulti, is easily half of everyones hp, add an annie, fiddle or kennen, etc. and youve won a team fight in under 4seconds? ive lost maybe lost 10 or so games, and won atleast 60+ while playing lux, i carry most games.

with my post earlier, i didnt include my build.

i start with regrowth + 1hp pot (mana seals take care of my mana), i focus on last hitting mostly.
first recall regrowth into philo, i normally get first blood with snare, so i rush mejais, and boots, and a ward if i have the gold, its about 2k before i recall, (boots 1 not 2)

after that i rush rabadons because mejai's building + rabandons is easily 300ap, i finish boots when i can (CDR boots), void staff next for mpen, rylais, and finally i build either hourglass if a xin or another melee carry ignores the team fight and comes right for me, or i just build morellos for the CDR.

get blue, ulti every 24seconds, run CV for easier snipes, get early kills with ulti. lane with someone with a stun or slow, any tank is fine, tanks do alot of damage at low levels, stuns + snares + slows is gg for any lane, lux normally gets fed lane phase, you become useless mid game, just finish people off with ultis, end game you carry. Have fun!

edit: always lane your ward, save flash for team fights, that 75g is never wasted. you shouldnt ever die as lux. her range is amazing.