@ RIOT why do champion reworks take longer than making a new champ?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Oak122

11-14-2012

Is there an upgrade to Taric's triangle feet coming any time soon?

Stexe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Monkey View Post
Yes I think this has been addressed in other threads, we are working on making the scale of champs more consistent with who they are. A lot of the older champs are very small. I do think TF seemed big simply because his old model was so tiny. If you look at him now he is around the same size as Graves for example.

As for all the other rework questions like Olaf and Warwick visual upgrades, I will say... probably.
Yeah, new TF is just long legged, he isn't actually that tall compared to other Champions. Soraka on the other hand... boy is she Amazonian in size!

50mm3r

11-14-2012

I too would like to know about sions state in the game (visually of course)

TheBluezer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Quote:
Sometimes. I think we as a team like to release the reworks in a holistic way. If there are gameplay changes being made we sometimes like to wait and release the package as a whole.
I understand this and think the artreworks are fantastic but, Twitch and Eve both got game play reworks, so is anything being done about there in-game models and splash arts?

Mogs01gt

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
So, if we're talking about visual reworks, it can take a while. Despite the character being already established, the in-game asset is completely different. This breaks down into these resources needed:

Concept
3D modelling
Texture
Rigging
Animation
VFX

So, that's pretty standard for any champion, original or rework. A new champion currently has 1 skin it releases with. A reworked champion can have a lot, take Ashe or TF for example. So, in the case of Ashe, let's say, that's five skins plus base. Despite two of her skins being essentially recolors, that's still 3 others that need new models, new textures plus custom rigging and animation support to flesh them out. Remember, no original rig remains. That's a really big deal if you know anything about animation. If you don't. trust me, it's a big deal. Depending on those skins, that might be several different sets of particle effects, again, depending on complexity.

If we're doing a severe overhaul like we did with Soraka, that's pretty much taking on a brand new champion because we've brought in the other disciplines such as creative to work on new VO and other story elements. Also, since the old Soraka was appropriately disposed of in a back alley never to be heard from again, that required a brand new concept of her which required the standard amount of scrutiny and sign-off.

Twisted Fate was another such situation. Pretty much a reboot in a lot of ways.

On top of all that, add to the fact that it is our mission in these cases to retain the iconicism of a character beloved by millions and increase it's fidelity and consistency across the board. That's a pretty hefty job. With an existing champion you have a huge open sandbox. With a rework you have a framework that you must preserve. It's like reconstructing a historic landmark.

Just the other day I joined the relaunch team. It's something I plan on talking about more extensively in a couple of weeks. We're currently a pretty small team with not a ton of resources compared to Champion and Skins. But we've got a huge responsibility. I volunteered to be the dedicated concept artist for the team because we were lacking such a resource and right now I feel it's the best use of my time. I want to be able to take what everyone knows and loves about the champions on our list and be able to bring them up to the standard we now have with our current champions, but also to take some of that consistency we apply to our reworks, apply that to current champions and project that to future champion development.

By reworking the past we therefore improve the future. When we make the present consistent, we improve the past. Sort of Orwellian now that I think about it...
That sounds like a long way Saying you took on a large work load.

mr underhilI

11-14-2012

what do you use for inspiration when you draw/create ? is it mostly your imagination? do your dreams effect your work? do you dream of a champion before you make it?

also, what culture do you think has alot of "cool art " as in cool dragons or monsters, not talking about birds and trees

EDIT:

thank you for the time you put into answering questions btw

Flytrap

11-14-2012

Quote:
Yes I think this has been addressed in other threads, we are working on making the scale of champs more consistent with who they are. A lot of the older champs are very small. I do think TF seemed big simply because his old model was so tiny. If you look at him now he is around the same size as Graves for example.

As for all the other rework questions like Olaf and Warwick visual upgrades, I will say... probably.
More hints! More hints!

exelsis xax

11-14-2012

Mord needs a rework. Badly. Where is he in the line? I'd like the 8 feet tall in his lore to be more accurate.

Kazkal

11-14-2012

Quote:

Whats a Dragon Master Swain?
How about Human Nocturne,I'd pay 5,000 RP for that skin :O

oddish33

11-14-2012

Quote:
I don't want to take the wind out of the sails of an upcoming announcement!

Yes She will have a visual upgrade.

That's a good one. The quality of the models has improved a ton in the year I have been here, I think my favorite though has to be Hecarim. Not so much his design and stuff, but the process we used to make him revamped our pipeline and upped the quality over all for all the champions since. Technically I think Khazix is our most impressive champ. A lot of disciplines had to come together to make that guy. We basically learned a lot from making PFE and used that knowledge to make kha zix.

Whats a Dragon Master Swain?
Karma art and gameplay rework coming soon?