Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


@ RIOT why do champion reworks take longer than making a new champ?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xyler94

Senior Member

11-14-2012

guess you don't know how video game design works, here a pointer, they have roughly 6-8 champions being designed at once, it takes months to perfect them, take Ahri for instance, she was special sneak peaked about the end of september, and she was released December 14th


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

11-14-2012

Speaking from the gameplay side, reworks are harder than new champions - likely the champion being reworked has a fundamental flaw that needs to be fixed, but fixing that flaw has a 99% chance of making current fans upset - being broken does help things be more fun a lot of times

There's a lot of design work that goes into trying to fix a champion, but still make it fun to people who liked it originally, or making it better in a way that makes sense in some other direction. Many champions who still need this have a bit of this going on (Irelia, Soraka, Poppy). I think to get a rework done right, it can take double the time of making a new champion from a development and playtesting standpoint - depending on the level of design changes needed (Eve is notoriously long, Katarina and Xin were a lot faster. Heimerdinger and Karma are tougher.

Hope this sheds some light on the issue - meeting current expectations, while fixing problems and providing creative solutions, is actually one of the hardest things I think a content designer can take on.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CommandShockwave

Senior Member

11-14-2012

Quote:
MrDominooo:
As someone who's trying to get into 3D, I would love love love this.


Ditto.

I'm absolutely enamored with the 3d models in this game, and I'd probably have a seizure of pure joy were there ever to be a spotlight of such things.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Demacian Might

Junior Member

11-14-2012

Morello, is there any work going on with Sion? What is your opinion, if you were to change him, on which build would take priority?
Because if there was, I would assume you would change him into an AP, rather than the Lifesteal pseudo tank support?

Not to derail. He's just in a bad spot, being split, and it pertains to the rework subject. Since I presume they take a lot more time then what people expect (Months) he might be being looked at?
I also imagine S3 items WILL help his AD build. Specifically BotRK and Hydras.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Supreme Dirt

Senior Member

11-14-2012

Grumpy Monkey, as someone who wants to get into 3D design and the like where's a good place to start for someone who has very little experience?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vacus

Senior Member

11-14-2012

Quote:
Morello:
Speaking from the gameplay side, reworks are harder than new champions - likely the champion being reworked has a fundamental flaw that needs to be fixed, but fixing that flaw has a 99% chance of making current fans upset - being broken does help things be more fun a lot of times

There's a lot of design work that goes into trying to fix a champion, but still make it fun to people who liked it originally, or making it better in a way that makes sense in some other direction. Many champions who still need this have a bit of this going on (Irelia, Soraka, Poppy). I think to get a rework done right, it can take double the time of making a new champion from a development and playtesting standpoint - depending on the level of design changes needed (Eve is notoriously long, Katarina and Xin were a lot faster. Heimerdinger and Karma are tougher.

Hope this sheds some light on the issue - meeting current expectations, while fixing problems and providing creative solutions, is actually one of the hardest things I think a content designer can take on.



As long as you're here talking about gameplay reworks.

Anything coming up for Kayle? You (meaning Riot) in the past have talked about giving her another rework, I'm curious if that's still something that's planned at some point or if it's gone away.

(I ask because I love Kayle. Everything about Kayle.)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

11-14-2012

Quote:
Vacus:
As long as you're here talking about gameplay reworks.

Anything coming up for Kayle? You (meaning Riot) in the past have talked about giving her another rework, I'm curious if that's still something that's planned at some point or if it's gone away.

(I ask because I love Kayle. Everything about Kayle.)


Less certain since she's actually getting play in skilled games. If she can work out, I'd rather let people have her since she's not ruining the game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

spyroripto

Junior Member

11-14-2012

I seeeeeeee


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StormThief

Member

11-14-2012

Grumpy Monkey dear, is your avatar that of a soul trapped [or whatever else souls do] on the Shadow Isles?
Just had the thought because of the Soraka's Excellent Adventures comics.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

exe3

Senior Member

11-14-2012

Quote:
Morello:
Less certain since she's actually getting play in skilled games. If she can work out, I'd rather let people have her since she's not ruining the game.

I was looking forward to (and still feel she actually needs) the clean slate remake. Just because she may be seeing more play atm doesn't mean her design isn't terrible.

If nothing else do you think any work on her clean slate remake might make it onto another champion, maybe a new champion from Kayle and Morgana's world?