How To Make APs Useful Late Game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kodomos

09-15-2012

Ok, so I was discussing this with my buddy and we came to the conclusion that APs drop off significantly late game.. and that it sucks. It's mainly because everyone starts to get really tanky and do incredible damage.. which are both counters to most APs. APs have low health because they build for full AP, but they get screwed over because of it because late in the game...even with 700+ ability power they can't do any serious damage to anyone remotely tanky in a team fight.. and with their low health the high damage that everyone else does ends up getting them killed in a couple of hits. There are a few AP champions that can maintain their usefulness throughout the entire game, but I think the majority tend to be pretty useless against a team of 2 - 3k + HP champs.

So here's the idea to fix that: You give crit chance to ability power and abilities!

Normal crits now do 200% of your usual hit, right? Well what if you made a separate thing called Magical Critical or something and had it do 150% of your usual hit. This'll give APs much more damage later game if they can crit, and it also opens up the way for more build choices. The crit increase isn't as high as AD obviously, because then they'd do TOO much damage.. but I think that it works out nicely if they have a chance to. APs would also have to decide if they want to go full AP or AP/Crit, sort of like how an AD has to decide if they want a full crit build or more attack damage.

Just to clarify, when I say make a separate stat I mean a completely new one (like how they have Life Steal/Spell Vamp). This would mean a lot of work since you'd have to make completely new items and edit current ones.. and probably also re-work a few champions to up their game.
Imma be honest.. I lost where I was typing this and my train of thought was de-railed.. so.. yeah..

TL;DR = Give crit chance to ability power but make it less effective than 200%. Separate stat from regular crit. New items. New strategies.

Zesty Juicers

09-15-2012

probably shouldnt attack anything thats tanky if they still have their ad or ap carries

Enricos

09-15-2012

The only problem I see with this is that nearly every champion which relies on AP would have to be rebuilt to scale properly with the AP crit chance. Take Malzahar or Veigar for instance. Their spell barrage can take nearly anything, including tanks, but particularly squishies, from full to almost dead, if not actually dead. Its only doubly so in the late game.

Diana with this crescent strike and double moon rush would also be crazy powerful with 400 AP or so. That's what, like 1500 damage without critting?

I believe if it is implemented even critting for 125% damage, it would disrupt a careful balance between AP mages and everything else.

PoopSlapped

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-15-2012

So what you're are saying is... you want the tanks... less tanky because you can't do enough damage to them?

I promise you... AD champions are also doing less damage to them "tanks"...

What you are asking is just silly, and not logical in the least.

Dont Be Peppery

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-30-2012

Why is this topic in HUD discussion?

Devious Rogue

10-31-2012

Protip: Some champions are easier to kill than others.

If their entire team is made of Olafs, Shens and stuff, then go for the ones who have been damage the most. In the other 99% of games, go for their squishies. Not the Galio with Mercs, Banshees, Athenes, FON, Abyssal Scepter, Warmogs.

Also, why is this in the HUD section?

3rdStorm

11-05-2012

APs actually scale back up in the super late game. Ever see a karthus with Death cap, void staff and 4 archangels

ShaIom

11-05-2012

this is the dumbest thing I've ever read, I'm sorry lol.