I have my new PC setup, thoughts?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Worst Evelynn BR

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-03-2012

You really don't need to bother with DDR3 1600 Mhz RAM, just get 1333 Mhz. The difference in performance is literally like...4%. Not worth the extra money to get a 4% boost. I have 12gb (overkill) of 1333 and have never had to use more than 6 gb, and that was when I purposely opened up as many Chrome tabs as I could, and had Diablo 3, Metro 2033 and Guild Wars 2 all running in maximized windowed mode to see how much RAM I could munch on, while having my video card display on two monitors.

Save some money and put it toward a better video card or a SSD, those are usually what will bottleneck first in games.

Also, make sure to find the measurements of your tower and your video card. My CyborgX mid tower barely fits the AMD 6870 that I have, and it's only about 10". The 7870 I'm relatively sure is larger than that on average, so you may want to check to make sure and possibly invest in a full tower.

CannibalMoose

11-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKJoker View Post
Well, seeing how cheap the Hard Drive is, you can useally have 2 storage devices on a Desktop. Your choice, they both work the same way, the SSD is just faster than the Hard Drive is.

The Mother Board comes with enough room to support both.
Might as well get an SSD as well then.

MKJoker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannibalMoose View Post
Might as well get an SSD as well then.

You don't have to get a very big one. Just get one large enough to put Windows and your Games on.

Use the other harddrive for everything else.

200gbs should be enough.

bobofred

11-03-2012

Quote:
Do I get an SSD alone, or the internal hard drive as well?
I'd do both since SSDs usually have limited space but considerably faster read/write times.

I personally use both. I do say if you do get an SSD you MUST install your OS on it.

coffee addict

11-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofred View Post
go with the i5- 2500k the only advantage the i7-2600 has is hyperthreading and you wont even use that at all while playing any games ever. also the 2500k is really easy to overclock so if you feel for some reason that it's not good enough already then you can give yourself a nice boost. but yeah 100$ cheaper.

also the asrcok extreme 3 gen 3 motherboard is cheaper and still a good motherboard. will save you a lot of money.

Also i suggest to go with a nvidia card of the same tier they're also cheaper and outpreform slightly. i myself went with the 7970 and the drivers for the 7xxx series are still not nice also if you ever want to stream they also have problems with xplit.
I had my 2500k up to 4.3ghz whilst staying at a modest 45c

Quite respectable

I built this rig 3 years ago and it's been perfect ever since

Not a single hiccup or failure and it's on virtually 24/7

Very fast and reliable machine

10 stars would recommend to anyone

bobofred

11-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster ov Doom View Post
I had my 2500k up to 4.3ghz whilst staying at a modest 45c

Quite respectable

I built this rig 3 years ago and it's been perfect ever since

Not a single hiccup or failure and it's on virtually 24/7

Very fast and reliable machine

10 stars would recommend to anyone

yeah, the 2500k is my favorite and i dare say the best processor out there especially for it's price. I clocked mine to 4.5ghz and it says around 45c aswell using the hypermaster 212 EVO heatsink

bobofred

11-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticosa View Post
You really don't need to bother with DDR3 1600 Mhz RAM, just get 1333 Mhz. The difference in performance is literally like...4%. Not worth the extra money to get a 4% boost. I have 12gb (overkill) of 1333 and have never had to use more than 6 gb, and that was when I purposely opened up as many Chrome tabs as I could, and had Diablo 3, Metro 2033 and Guild Wars 2 all running in maximized windowed mode to see how much RAM I could munch on, while having my video card display on two monitors.

Save some money and put it toward a better video card or a SSD, those are usually what will bottleneck first in games.

Also, make sure to find the measurements of your tower and your video card. My CyborgX mid tower barely fits the AMD 6870 that I have, and it's only about 10". The 7870 I'm relatively sure is larger than that on average, so you may want to check to make sure and possibly invest in a full tower.

I have the same case he chose and mine fits the 7970 BARELY and that's with the odd shaped mobo (asrock extreme 3 gen 3). Crossfire and such will never be an option for me until i get a larger case/mobo

CannibalMoose

11-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofred View Post
I'd do both since SSDs usually have limited space but considerably faster read/write times.

I personally use both. I do say if you do get an SSD you MUST install your OS on it.
Just wondering, how would I go about deciding whether to save a file on my SSD or hard drive? I'm not much of a computer guy. @_@

also, when I buy all the parts, I imagine I'm going to have to install all of the drivers and whatnot manually?

CannibalMoose

11-03-2012

bump.

MKJoker

11-03-2012

Quote:
Just wondering, how would I go about deciding whether to save a file on my SSD or hard drive? I'm not much of a computer guy. @_@

also, when I buy all the parts, I imagine I'm going to have to install all of the drivers and whatnot manually?

Your SSD comes up as a seperate drive then your Hard Drive, such as c: and d:

When you go to install windows you'll have the option on which drive to install it on when the time comes.

Yes, you'll have to install drivers manually. Sometimes your GPU will come with a disc for the basic driver or an updated one. You can also get programs that'll install out-dated or missing drivers for you. I don't have one, but a quick google search would do you good on finding one.