Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Opinion from a SR guy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BillCosbysCigar

11-03-2012

Hello friends!

A couple of weeks ago before the new TT map came about a few friends and I decided to take a stab at getting gold on the old TT map. Upon venturing into the world of Twisted Treeline I was exposed to the TT forum and community and it's group of devoted players. I am quite impressed with this map's following, including some of the more well known players such as Sam.

I had played TT randomly in the 2 1/2 years I've played this game, particularly when my friends and I would need a change of pace from SR. My experience with the old TT map is quite limited compared to my experience with SR, but after seeing all these complaints about the new map I felt I should give my 2 cents coming from a guy who has had equal exposure to the new and the old map.

Before I comment on the differences, positive or negative, I agree that the old TT map should be still available in the form of customs or normal games.

Upon playing a few games with the old map before the changes were implemented, I was impressed with a few things and disappointed in some things. I was impressed with the amount of coordination required to be able to take objectives as well as the coordination required in teamfighting. I enjoyed fighting over small objectives such as dragon and red buff.

However, a bunch of things started to stick out at me. For one, turtling in base was unbelievably annoying to deal with, mostly due to dragging minions into the fountain and the narrow choke points and creep blocking. Resorting to wall hopping by the nexus seemed like the only way to get in and take out the nexus turret sometimes. Blink champions were incredibly annoying too. In summoners rift blink champions are ALSO annoying to deal with but the big lanes and huge pathways makes it harder for champions to blink over multiple walls creating huge distances between them. Having a kassadin who got caught over by dragon ult and flash over multiple walls to avoid being taken down is quite annoying. Blink abilities can be used to get over walls in SR as well, but require much better positioning in teamfights considering how there isn't that many walls that close together like TT.

Bruisers were also a problem. But bruisers are ALSO a problem in SR also. Didn't a riot employee mention fixing top lane scaling issues in SR (correct me if i'm wrong)? I think it is more of an issue of bruisers having obnoxious stats/abilities and the rate that they are released. The randomization of the jungle was also completely obnoxious. Having the jungler behind in levels so early on because he can barely handle creep camps made for an annoyance to play, making dedicated junglers much more important to play.

Upon release of the new map, I jumped into some games and was quite impressed with some of the issues that were addressed. For one, fixing the turtling in base was extremely important. Adding the spiral staircase into the fountain was a great idea. Also adding larger gaps in walls so that champions cant blink so frequently forces blink champions to have much better positioning so that they don't have free escapes. I was also thinking about having a few walls blink-able so that you can strategically fight near them with a blink champion. I love the art, atmosphere, and especially vilemaw. Fighting that spider is scary as hell!

Fixing the jungle was also important. I think getting rid of the maze on the top of the map was a good idea, partially because of the blink champions issue. I also think that it could have been reworked into something a little different, but I don't know how I would have approached it. Maybe a symmetrical map with some jungle top/bottom with vilemaw in the middle (just an idea... )? I also completely agree with getting rid of wards. The winning team would pink the common spots in the old map and have complete map control. Adding wards in the new map would illuminate too much of the map and create too much passive game play.

I agree with the direction of forcing more teamfights, but I'm not sure how much I like the altars. I like the idea BUT it would be interesting to play with the idea of creating a jungle mob with a buff instead.

I usually play mid and jungle but I do like the addition of the new items that make mages a little more viable. Dealing with a Nidalee with Wooglets is quite annoying right now though (soon to be changed, I know). We just got gold the other night by running a mage + bruiser + CC tank/bruiser. I have had some success with brand (passive plus torch and rylais is really cool! Cassiopeia is also a very strong mage when they have a bunch of gap closers that are foaming at the mouth to rip you to shreds. That being said Daruis, Riven, Singed, Jarvan, Olaf, and other characters are consistently strong. There are also plenty of other legit strategies such as nunu + adc + yorick, double mage + bruiser, Vayne + Bodyguards, etc. I think the problem with LoL community in general is everybody is a meta *****. In gold and below most of the time it comes down to how well you play your character and NOT about what "OP" character you play (same for SR). Sure, certain champs have higher win rates than others but skill with a character is more important. I am pretty interested to see how the new meta will develop with team compositions that consist with characters other than the bruisers I mentioned above.

I personally like the new map more than the old map and since it is still in beta it will be interesting what changes will be made. I think a lot of reason for peoples hatred towards the new map is the fear of change, but if those people are unwilling to accept the new map they should at least have the option to play the old map.

TL:DR Summary: You will have a split of players that like both maps. This is my unbiased view as a consistent SR player about both the old TT map and the new TT map. I like the new map a little more. Read above and find out why!

Sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes. I feel like I could have got into more detail but after proofreading my post I almost wanted to skim through it, haha!

cobonthecorn

11-03-2012

Well thought out post! Though from someone who played about 60/40 SR to TT, I learned a lot of the problems on the old map had counter play, the most common being turtling. All you had to do on the old map was leave their inhib turrets up and take all of the jungle resources and farm their lanes around their tribrush, if you really did have superior strength.

There is definantly room to have both maps, and I for one would not mind riot focusing completely on the Shadow Isle, and longer ques for TT if they would just bring it back.

and OP, as another SR player, how would you feel if when they released dominion they just shut down SR, and made no comment about it? That is in essence what is going on here, but the TT community is a much smaller portion of the player-base, and thus rather disenfranchised.

BillCosbysCigar

11-03-2012

Quote:
cobonthecorn:
Well thought out post! Though from someone who played about 60/40 SR to TT, I learned a lot of the problems on the old map had counter play, the most common being turtling. All you had to do on the old map was leave their inhib turrets up and take all of the jungle resources and farm their lanes around their tribrush, if you really did have superior strength.

There is definantly room to have both maps, and I for one would not mind riot focusing completely on the Shadow Isle, and longer ques for TT if they would just bring it back.

and OP, as another SR player, how would you feel if when they released dominion they just shut down SR, and made no comment about it? That is in essence what is going on here, but the TT community is a much smaller portion of the player-base, and thus rather disenfranchised.

Thanks for the response!

I learned briefly about not taking the inhibitors, but the game was not designed for dragging minions into a fountain. Most people compare the old TT tactics wise to SR, but in SR you really can't drag full minion waves into the fountain. Even if they fixed that issue I think the ability to blink over all these small walls makes for a frustrating experience if your character does not have a blink ability.

I agree completely with focusing on shadow isles and keeping ranked only for it. I do agree completely with keeping the old TT map and i'm very sure that Riot will implement it back in the game considering all of the people who are in favor of it. People say that Riot hates us but they have done a damn fine job at giving us what we want, whether it be champions such as Lee Sin, Spider Queen, etc OR certain balance changes.

A lot of people are comparing the new map to dominion but I am not making that connection. Just because it has two capture points and a faster pace means that its dominion? I think the objective of capping and defending points solely on dominion and lack of a full team fight makes for a unique experience. I personally do not play dominion. If they got rid of SR for dominion I would be upset but I really don't think that the new TT map can be compared to dominion. I honestly feel like the new map is just a smaller and faster paced version of SR that just needs a few kinks worked out here and there. Good thing it is still in beta!

Naokazu

11-03-2012

I think new TT is in most ways a large improvement over old, for many of the reasons you listed. There are a few things I think still need work; respawn timers, altars, and Vilemaw in particular.

BillCosbysCigar

11-03-2012

Quote:
Naokazu:
I think new TT is in most ways a large improvement over old, for many of the reasons you listed. There are a few things I think still need work; respawn timers, altars, and Vilemaw in particular.

I agree wholeheartedly!

With but I think the LoL community's general overreaction to anything is making it a bigger deal than it really is. The map is still needs small tweaks but I enjoy it and I feel it is more balanced than the previous map, enough to warrant ranked play.