The problem with bruisers in TT

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SaveTheMaids

11-03-2012

Tanks are also pretty strong if you go a little into the offensive tree.
Late game you'll just become impossible for most bruisers to deal with while still doing nice damage.

Chain CC and tower diving with just a HoG OP.

Yokel85

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesh View Post
myself, sam, and 1onz have been running Karma+Mundo+Darius/Olaf. We basically bring 1 high damage bruiser, one damage soaking tank, and one powerful AP. So far with this comp we are 12/0 and about 1759 on that team.
So... instead of taking 3 bruisers you take two bruisers and a mage. HUGE IMPROVEMENT.

67chrome

11-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMarsh View Post
Worlds like "bruiser" and "tank" are thrown around left and right with no clarification, thus frustrating the flow of conversation.
Well, sorry for not being clear with my input.

The way I see it you can divide champions into 3 main categories concerning their focus on defense or offense (same goes for item categories to). Basically this:

(Defensive) Tank/Initiator/Disruptor/Support: Almost a pure focus on Defense.
(Defensive and Offensive) Bruiser/Fighter/Anti-Carry/Tanky Mage/Off-Tank/Tanky DPS: Hybrid of Offensive and Defensive capabilities.
(Offensive) Assassin/Carry/Mage: Almost a pure focus on Damage.

More or less, my idea of a bruiser is just a melee-ranged champion who builds offensive and defensive items more or less equally, focusing on getting a salad of stat bonuses rather than having a clear focus in any particular area. And generally having a kit that favors doing so - which is more or less not enough hard CC to peel if they go full tank and not enough steroids (and generally high enough ability damage) that critical strikes are sub-optimal for boosting damage.

In the case of Mages, Assassins and Carries two just deals burst damage and the other sustained damage, were mages tend to focus on AoE bursts were Assassins focus more on single-target bursts. In the case of Supports and Tanks one just generally has friendly buffs or such a godly amount of crowd control that they can perform phenomenally well with no items at all, while tanks should generally focus on survivability. In the case of Fighters...they're such a mixed bag as a class roll already it's hard to draw more differences between them without splitting hairs. About the only one you can do is Magic-Damage/AP focused vs. Physical/AD focused fighters, but beyond that they all tend to operate rather similarly. They can deal enough damage to be a serious problem and have enough survivability to deal it while sticking to something in melee range.

DrBleck

11-03-2012

I'd like to see less talk about 'bruisers' on TT and more talk about Darius, in particular.

Seriously, I hate him. I don't care if he's technically overpowered or not - he's just not any fun to play against, which in my mind is a lot worse.

67chrome

11-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBleck View Post
I'd like to see less talk about 'bruisers' on TT and more talk about Darius, in particular.

Seriously, I hate him. I don't care if he's technically overpowered or not - he's just not any fun to play against, which in my mind is a lot worse.
I think Darius is overall a pretty cool champion, the way his axe is used in his Apprehend ability is particularly cool, the blood stacks are very indicative of the general bruiser capacity to get in your face and punish you over a prolonged period in melee, his Decimate is both thematically cool and fits his play style well, what with the AoE damage rewarding him for being in the thick of things, punishing units attempting to flee with more damage, and having the axe-head in general deal more damage.

I don't like his ultimate at all though. I don't like Garen's ultimate either, at least not on the champions they're on. They'd be really solid ultimates on an assassin, considering you assassinate people with an ungodly level of burst with both and they'd really fit high damage-low survival champions, but as-is placing them on units that are optimally played with beefy builds, thrive in the middle of combat, and have such a mix of damage their a nightmare to counter-build is really quite frustrating in general.

Exqzr

11-04-2012

I think a small change or two would be in order for Darius,

Reduce range of Apprehend slightly.

Increase stacks for max damage to 6 (maybe 7).

Same play style, same effects just requiring a little more risk for reward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chrome View Post
I think Darius is overall a pretty cool champion, the way his axe is used in his Apprehend ability is particularly cool, the blood stacks are very indicative of the general bruiser capacity to get in your face and punish you over a prolonged period in melee, his Decimate is both thematically cool and fits his play style well, what with the AoE damage rewarding him for being in the thick of things, punishing units attempting to flee with more damage, and having the axe-head in general deal more damage.

I don't like his ultimate at all though. I don't like Garen's ultimate either, at least not on the champions they're on. They'd be really solid ultimates on an assassin, considering you assassinate people with an ungodly level of burst with both and they'd really fit high damage-low survival champions, but as-is placing them on units that are optimally played with beefy builds, thrive in the middle of combat, and have such a mix of damage their a nightmare to counter-build is really quite frustrating in general.

Kalarepa

11-04-2012

It's pointless to nerf Darius, because of TT. He's balanced in SR, but ridiculously OP on TT. He would need massive nerf to be balanced in TT, but that would make him completely useless in SR.
He's nightmare of normal TT games, where you can't ban him. I think, he just should be disabled in this mode.

Basil van Yhun

11-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesh View Post
myself, sam, and 1onz have been running Karma+Mundo+Darius/Olaf. We basically bring 1 high damage bruiser, one damage soaking tank, and one powerful AP. So far with this comp we are 12/0 and about 1759 on that team.
What you are saying is that you bring a bruiser who can dish out ap-carry-level burst combined with good sustained damage while also being very very tanky, a tank that is ridiculously hard to kill unless you have a fed champ on your side and a support with a low-cd shield (+ aoe dmg) and a heal that scales with high health (darius, mundo, olaf)

What you just did was proving the point of op...

Xtreme Chaos

11-04-2012

lol theres far better choices than darius on TT, hes not OP in the slightest sense, l2 kite.

WillWW

11-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoizengerd View Post
i completely disagree with you, Lulu is a great support...she's weak as an AD though, and quite weak as on hit as well

tank Lulu?? what the hell would that accomplish?? and if she goes AP she's basically just going support, just not a whole lot of damage on her end since the nerfs
Yeah right. Lulu is a beast. And yes, tanky items do well, on her. going ap doesn't equal support. Playing as a support equals support.