Language barriers ruining the game.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PkProjects

10-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucelah View Post
No it is not. I have an MA in Lit and teach English -- all the research points to English being more difficult than other languages using the Latin Alphabet.
French has infinitely more exceptions on rules than English, and most of the Dutch language doesn't even have clear rules.

A Kawaii Loli

10-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGmudboneBLASTED View Post
GUYS just to clear things up I meant to keep certain IPs away from others.. as in banning the IPs of other areas from your area... IE no americans playing chinese servers. no canadians playing mexican servers no milasians playing japanese. get it? I just want to play with other americans. I have no problem with people who use other languages as long as they can use english to get key points of ganks and switching lanes correct.
Will I get the 70+ Euros I spent on the NA server back? Will all my friends want to start over in a new server just to play with me? No. This is unrrealistic.

I've probably supported this game more than most of the people in this thread raging, and now you want to expell all the foreigners? I remember when the EU servers were ****, and people that spend money wanted an account transfer from EU to the NA server, no one got it. Is every european going to get his account transfered to EU? No.

And if they do this, there won't be excepetions, everyone will migrate to their servers, and IP bans WILL occour. I disprove of this thread, and if I lose all my investment I made on this game I will probably sue.

Edit; by the way, if you actually meant that Portuguese people (from Portugal, not Brasil) can only be matched against other Portuguese people, that is idiotic. Tiny country.

saucelah

10-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PkProjects View Post
French has infinitely more exceptions on rules than English, and most of the Dutch language doesn't even have clear rules.
I don't know anything about Dutch, but I speak and study Lit in French, and that is just plain not true. I'm also not making this up -- this is based on the scholarly research in the field. I'd post citations, but they'd all link to journal databases that cannot be accessed without membership.

The problem with English is the variety even among the regular rules that came about from the language absorbing the conventions of a large variety of other languages.

PkProjects

10-04-2010

Quote:
I don't know anything about Dutch, but I speak and study Lit in French, and that is just plain not true. I'm also not making this up -- this is based on the scholarly research in the field. I'd post citations, but they'd all link to journal databases that cannot be accessed without membership.

The problem with English is the variety even among the regular rules that came about from the language absorbing the conventions of a large variety of other languages.
Welcome to the internet. Everything you just said has been marked invalid and not-true.
Ask any Dutch person, as these 3 languages are given at any school in the Netherlands. Also German, but that's a really structural language.

saucelah

10-04-2010

I'd rather ask linguists, which I did, while achieving a graduate degree in the field.

*eyeroll*

Nhan Fiction

10-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyuzora View Post
Ok, honestly, this is a moot point.

First, why do other people have to speak English to play this game? Ok, it's written in English. Fine. That doesn't mean everyone who plays it has to speak in English. You bring up the point that communication is hard given language barriers. True. Take the time to learn a language. In all fairness, English is one of the most difficult to learn. Why? Because it has so many irregulars and so many exceptions to their rules. So if you learned English, try and take the time to learn BASIC foreign languages. Its not hard. Stop complaining without understanding other people's problems with learning English. There is ABSOLUTELY no need for them to learn other languages simply to play a game.

Two, how do you know that they're trolling you if you don't understand what they're saying? Enough said.

Three, banning IPs to stop cross-country playing is ******ed. One, is that Americans in America will often speak Spanish in LoL. Why? Because its their primary language. IP banning won't stop this. Why? Because they're in America.

Honestly, I don't see you even attempting to refute the points that people are bringing up. You just keep saying "but they're trolling me. I can't communicate. I keep losing games BECAUSE of them."

You're honestly blaming it all on people simply because you can't understand them. Either quit the game, or grow a pair so you can learn that sometimes, its not the people who you can't understand, and its your fault. If they don't understand wtf you're saying, ping. If they don't understand the ping, then they obviously need to learn something about the game. But that doesn't mean there has to be an IP ban simply because you can't deal. Suck it up. Honestly.

And by the way, I've learned 4 languages, so I know exactly where my point comes from.
First off, there was a time when it was considered the smart thing for the world to adopt English as an "essential" language to know. Times have changed since that point, but the fact remains - the English language still has a significant, relevant impact throughout the modern world. English should not be considered an obscure language that no one should know - it is an important language around the globe..

People shouldn't be expected to know every single language in the world, but again, I emphasize that a person wouldn't go into another country without knowing something about the dominant language. You don't expect that country to accommodate for you, the outsider. Instead, the outsider should be willing to adapt to their new surroundings and at least try to speak the language.

As for the main issue here, I personally could care a bit less if a foreign player did not say a word during a game, but only assuming the player at least seems like they know what they are doing. Things like pinging and making good decisions are universal, and these kind of things have nothing to do with a person's origins.

However, the usual circumstance happens to involve foreign players with little to no English being poor players. The language barrier is just salt to the wounds when you can't even get a foreign player on your team to retreat as you are pinging them and spamming "B" over and over again. You try to ask them what items they are going, or if they are going to help, but you get stuff that looks Greek to you or you get silence. You try to do things like say their champion name, their actual username, but still, nothing positive usually results.

So in short, language barriers ARE an issue in a game where communication is vital for teamwork, and ultimately, achieving victory.

OGmudboneBLASTED

10-04-2010

Quote:
No it is not. I have an MA in Lit and teach English -- all the research points to English being more difficult than other languages using the Latin Alphabet.
On a relative scale to every other language in the world english is cake.

Nhan Fiction

10-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGmudboneBLASTED View Post
On a relative scale to every other language in the world english is cake.
Exactly.