Does the shop need re-balancing?

Yes, quite a bit of re-balancing. 34 47.22%
Yes, some minor re-balances. 24 33.33%
No, the shop is fine how it is. 12 16.67%
Indifferent; I could care less. 2 2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

One MAJOR flaw...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morzas

11-23-2009

For what it's worth, I'm fine with guys like Karthus being uber expensive. You guys need to make your money somehow, and it's not gonna just be from selling skins. I'm gonna get a Riot Points card as soon as I can.

TenToedPete1

Adjudicator

11-23-2009

Quote:
Lastly, I think that apples to oranges comparison to HON is unreasonable. For one thing, they are selling you heroes that you've already played for 5 years, so you are in most cases paying for an art upgrade.
HoN trash talking. i likes it

OneWingX

11-23-2009

I'm mostly fine with the store, and I think the bundles are great. My only gripes is as follows: you only sell riot points in increments of 100, so why on earth are the prices not? I purchased 5000 RP in order to get the champions buundle, which costs 3410. This leaves me with 1590. I then purchase a 585 hero, taking me to 1005. There is now no combination of purchases that can leave me with 0 RP left, the closest I can get is 30. While this is an insignificant amount of RP and money, it still bugs me on some levels. It also becomes a more significant amount if I decide I want another 585 hero and a 260 one.

Some sort of system where you can trade in an amount of RP that is too small to buy anything for a single games worth of IP and/or XP boost?

Labomba

11-23-2009

6300 does seem over-priced. I was lucky with my initial champion selections as I only play "heroic" and "epic" toons anyway. However my arranged teammates do play with corki and morgana most of the time and now they are faced with shelling out the same IP for one champion that I spent getting 3. Not to mention, you purchase these champions and are then expected to buy runes.

6300 is unreasonable imo. 4500 seems a better #. /2cents

Kendrick Ultimus

11-23-2009

I'd have to think really hard to pay atmost $5 for a champion I really like (Twitch), but I only need to spend a minute to decide if I want to pay $3 for a champion I enjoy playing (Sion), and will definitely buy out the champions I'm not familiar with for $1.00 to $1.50 (Anivia, Nasus, Corki, etc).

Other then that I don't mind the concept of earning/buying select content of the game because it gives me a feeling of ownership and progress. I've spent more than $1000 on WoW from buying 2 expansions and paying for over 5 years in subscription fees, so I laugh at the idea of people who ***** about LoL not being free enough or about HoN being a better deal. I will say though that the pricing schemes need a bit more thorough working through because there are some deals which make no sense at all such as a 3 day IP boost being cheaper on a per day basis then a 14 day IP boost deal.

Lastly, the only person who I know that *****es about LoL Store is a friend of mine who loves playing Twitch but can't afford the 6300 IP cost for him. The extremely high cost of certain heroes need a nerf bat, but the 1350/3150 priced heroes are perfectly fine.

Arthas Menethil

11-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
We are of course constantly assessing pricing, and can adjust as time goes on. I can tel you that some champions are obviously mispriced to prices that are too high, while others are clearly underpriced. We will figure this out as we go, generally in terms of adjusting things that are priced high and which people are not interested in.

I would like to point out though that you can pay $0, or you can buy champions at about $1 each via bundles.

Additionally, there is no power problem here. If you have cryophoenix, and I don't, I can still compete vs you because I have Ashe, or any number of other inexpensive champions that are top tier viable.

Lastly, I think that apples to oranges comparison to HON is unreasonable. For one thing, they are selling you heroes that you've already played for 5 years, so you are in most cases paying for an art upgrade. Secondly, all of our core features like maps, matchmaking, etc, come to you for $0. That's a major part of the game that we do not charge anyone for. Lastly, it is possible for you to get all the content for $0 in LoL, so while you may pay $7.50 for one champion, you are getting a bunch of others for $0 -- so it's very difficult to say that one game is more expensive than the other in general, even though it's possible to say that Player A spent more on HON and player B spent more on LoL.
for justice.

Arthas Menethil

11-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathcrow View Post
Don't tell us how we should play the game and have fun. Thanks!
Don't tell other people not to give their own opinions. thanks!

Anang

11-23-2009

Quote:
Lastly, I think that apples to oranges comparison to HON is unreasonable. For one thing, they are selling you heroes that you've already played for 5 years, so you are in most cases paying for an art upgrade.
Off topic, I know, but to be fair, there are original heroes and hero redesigns not present in DotA that are in HoN. On the other hand, I think LoL is the superior game when it comes to mechanics and gameplay, and I even like the bright, clear art style more than HoN's dark one--it's hard to tell what's what a lot of the time for me in HoN.

McTapper

11-23-2009

I admit since the store opened Ive only played once and that was cause of an invite while I was buying my 3 heroes with 3700 ip.

I just kinda got discouraged and I'm sure that I'll find out that I've wasted my IP when they balance out the prices. So, just gonna cool off LoL until the shop gets balanced before I spend anything else foolishly.

Lolenub

11-23-2009

Alright, its about time to come back to this thread. As many of you might tell from my OP, that I have difficulty expressing my ideas across clearly. I'll try to make this as clear as I can though.

As many of you noticed, people are saying things like; "Riot needs to make money." and "Stop being so cheap, just pay it.", and I really think a lot of you are missing my point.

1. The shop is too expensive for individual champions. To back this point up; I'll use the shop data compared to various other shops that provide 'bundles' of any kind. Look at newegg. When you buy parts in a combo, usually you save 5-30$ depending on how large the purchases are. Usually keeping it in the 10-20% off range. Look at amazon. If you buy the items in a group on their page, for example a bundle that would normally be 90$ individually is 80$. Bundles try to convince you to buy more with incentives, but often times, you don't need everything at once or can't afford it all at once.

I did a bit of math, and for 175$ you can buy every champion individually. Pretty ridiculous. For 60$, you can buy them all at once, and have a 15$ bonus to spend on other things in the shop. (Collectors edition comes with 10$ gift card, and bundle costs 25$ so you have to buy 30$ worth of riot points, leaving 5$ extra) (Or just use the 10$ towards the bundle and you spend 50$ with just 5$ of extra points). Awesomely cheap...for those who can afford it all at once.

You see, the 'normal price' is 175$. With the most expensive bundle option being 60$, that's 66% off. If you get right down to it, only 45$ of that is going towards champions because of the extra points will HAVE to be spent on other things, you already have all the champions. You're giving 75% off to the people who buy it all at once. In all honesty, can you say that is fair? Not everyone can spend 50$ at the moment, and that is why your game attracts all kinds of people. People can pay 0 to X amount of dollars at a time, without having to make any major purchases.

My suggestion? Don't make the bundles more expensive, they're reasonable. Make the individual prices relatively similar to the bundle. The bundle should still be cheaper, as common logic would explain.

2. What is with the pricing? Some heroes have a 450 IP price and cost 260 riot points, while others have a 1350 IP tag with once again, 260 riot points. On top of that, some champions that cost 1350 IP have a 975 price tag, while the 3150 IP heroes have a 585 riot price tag. Did you just throw the champions through a batch file that assigned random prices? It makes no sense.

3. IP prices. I know since people actually pay for the same content, asking for the IP prices to be lower seems greedy. But it isn't. Having a more balanced range of price, something around 1000-3500 instead of 450-6300, provides for a more even balance. The 'easier'*** champions can still be cheaper than the 'harder'*** champions, but you can actually see a wider variety of champions in play. As competitive gamers know, (especially with fighting games, and dota), the wider variety of characters in play, the more advanced and developed the meta game can be. Since the more expensive players get less use, their strategies won't develop as much, and the game won't be as focused to counter those strategies, narrowing the scope of the meta game. It sounds complicated, but think about it for a while, it should make sense.

***Something that really bothers me is you attach a 'difficulty' to your champions. Who's to say who is easy and who isn't? A different play style really comes differently depending on the gamer. Some people may think a tank is easy because they can take a lot of hits. Others will say a caster is easier because they can attack from a distance and avoid attacks, while being able to dish out heavy damage to keep your enemies at bay. It all depends on how they play.