Riot you want the Toxic Community to Stop?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TeamWorkTom

11-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47WOLF View Post
Youtube exists.

Finding videos on youtube would only be for the players that are willing enough to put extra time into the game to get better.

If the videos were always on their front page or in the forums and stickied saying "problems with AP mid? This might help." the information would be more advertised and easier to access than searching for them on youtube.

The thing is the general playerbase does not know what they are doing wrong so they have no reason to try and improve themselves when they simply blame everyone else.

Galgus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWorkTom View Post
Low skill is very toxic when the players don't understand what they are doing wrong yet insist they are good.

It creates the guy that spamming "surrender at 20" 15mins into the game when the K/D is only 10 to 15.

Ignorance is what causes many problems. A harsh example is slavery and the perception that Africans were less than human. That was fueled by ignorance simply because their skin was a different color. You can argue it has no basis for a video game, but it does. Ignorance of the game leads to bad players thinking their good complain about others instead of focusing on what they did wrong.

Most people react saying someone is bad or failed because they don't understand that forcing someone to go back is actually a good thing. The Kill is not mandatory. They don't understand small aspects of the game that create huge leads. They only focus on their k/d not even their k/d/a.

If Riot taught basics and tried to influence the community into looking at what they did wrong or what they could have done better then there will be less of a toxic community.
Stubborn and unskilled players will probably remain stubborn and unskilled no matter how much instruction is given to them.

How would Riot holding player's hands more than they already do* actually solve the problem?

*(Tutorials, champion spotlights and recommended items both already help teach players how to play.)

I define "toxic player" as someone who intentionally does things with the primary purpose of hurting another player's feelings/ worsening their game experience.

While unskilled players may worsen experiences, it is because they are genuinely bad- not because they are intentionally feeding.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the recently added tips.

Ðemøns in my hæd

11-02-2012

The community is toxic because most people are *******s but only through the anonymity of the internet can their true self show because IRL they'd get the **** kicked out of them.

TeamWorkTom

11-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galgus View Post
Stubborn and unskilled players will probably remain stubborn and unskilled no matter how much instruction is given to them.

How would Riot holding player's hands more than they already do* actually solve the problem?

*(Tutorials, champion spotlights and recommended items both already help teach players how to play.)

I define "toxic player" as someone who intentionally does things with the primary purpose of hurting another player's feelings/ worsening their game experience.

While unskilled players may worsen experiences, it is because they are genuinely bad- not because they are intentionally feeding.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the recently added tips.

The Tutorial is not a good example of teaching players to play. Its terrible. Recommended items are never updated, and are usually complete trash.

Champion Spot Light does very little for teaching people the basics of the game. Teaching a player how to play a champion is not the basics of the game, it could be said its actually more advanced than actual basics.

Basics include the examples I have given. Such as CS. Lane control. When to engage and when not to. When to tower dive and when not to tower dive. Team compositions that synergize.

Those may sounds like advanced components of the game but are all extremely basic and essential for understanding how to play the game.

To the other person saying that toxic and stubborn players will stay stubborn. Yes this will not work for everyone, but nothing ever works for everyone. But making a logical fallacy does not disprove that teaching the player base how to play is a start to lowing the toxicity of the player base.

The Tribunal for one is actually creating more toxic play then its helping. People will be vindictive for "false" bans in their eyes and create smurfs and destroy the **** out of lower level games thus destroying potential customers because of these vindictive players out to ruin Riot.

They do not know why they are banned. The Summoners Code is vague and can be interpreted many different ways simply from people having a different perspective of looking at it.

No game will ever be rid of 100% toxic players but games can improve it by improving the general player base and creating a community that helps each other improve.

TeamWorkTom

11-02-2012

For the person that has down voted me and claims this will not work why are you so apprehensive to trying to improve the general player bases knowledge of the game?

What would this actually do to hurt the game? How is improving the general knowledge of anything bad?

TeamWorkTom

11-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullettime7 View Post
If pre and post game chat were added, a lot of the frustrating involving people admitting to troll picks (jungle Soraka) to force people to dodge or claims of intentional feeding, something that's typically hard to prove in game unless they admit to it in chat which many aren't, and other behaviors like that would be able to actually be punished. Due to pre and post game chat not being included in the logs, you get a lot of the toxic players abusing that fact. Trolling typically doesn't start in game. It starts more often at champion select. Last pick saying "MID OR FEED NOOBS!!!" for example after a mid is already locked. They then go on to feed like they said in the match. The problem is that if they don't admit to it in the in game chat, it's hard to prove since some people are just bad or have a bad game.

Uneducated players or "bad" players will eventually learn the ropes. However, players who go out of their way to ruin the game and experience for others need to be removed and are more of a problem. Pre and post game chat is a large blind spot right now that without, saves people that need to be banned from being banned.
Responding to your second paragraph.

The players you think are obviously trolling are players that are simply bad at the game. The number of players that actively troll I would say is pretty low. Most people just simply rage at their team because they die or they didn't follow up with an engage or counter gank.

The issue is you see most 'bad' players as trolls. Anyone that has a bad game in LoL is considered a troll so you subtract everyone you have played against that simply did bad, how many people do you have admitting to trolling or ruining the game on purpose?

I bet it is considerably less than 10% of your games.

TeamWorkTom

11-02-2012

I don't understand how constructive posts don't get any attention yet posts like "hotshot winning lane" are sticking to the front page.

TeamWorkTom

11-02-2012

less than 5 mins and bumped off front page wow

TeamWorkTom

11-02-2012

bump

cman811

11-02-2012

I think they need to drastically increase the level cap beyond 30. Or, slow the xp gain dramatically. As of right now, it's too easy to level to top level then get stuck in with players who have ~900 wins against a player who's played a total of 75 games or so. I'm not sure what to put the max level at, or when an appropriate time to enter ranked play would be, but that's not what I get paid to do anyway.

Also, I think that the game itself is extremely harsh towards mistakes. One or two missteps by a player can swing a lane completely, that happens in a couple lanes and/or in very specific lanes and the game is practically over. I don't mind that about the game as it needs to be so in order to end games quickly. But I would like to see easier ways to overcome that. I would definitely enjoy it more if comebacks were easier to achieve.