Riot you want the Toxic Community to Stop?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TeamWorkTom

11-02-2012

Bump

Lord Gwyn

11-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isist View Post
Your post, sir, needs a TL;DR version.

But my point is, have you ever seen a rank 2000+ rioter?
Right here. Instafacepalm. You need a better reading comprehension level, I am sorry, but it is true.

On topic, the community is not really toxic due to people not knowing how to play right off the bat, it is toxic because of morons trolling at level 20-30 in draft, and ranked solo/duo queues.

IS13c7fafe7804f7429d10e

11-02-2012

Eh...I don't think so.

In this game, one team has to lose. It doesn't matter just how tiny the mistake was that lead to this, "toxic" players will rage over it. These players will always blame their own mistakes on others. They never accept that they were simply outplayed by a better team. They always think their own team is the worst of all.

In addition, toxic behaviour is also abundant in high elo, where "good players" are. How come? If playing good would reduce toxicity, very high elo games should be nearly void of it. But that's far, far from the case.

Toxic behaviour is a complex matter. Most rage/verbal abuse/offensive language problems are due to "caring too much" - people who don't care as much about the outcome of the game are much, MUCH less likely to rage or insult their teammates. Intentional feeding usually happens because these people simply are ******bags or are out for revenge. So called "trollpicking" usually happens because people hate certain roles their team wants them to play or out of revenge.

If you want to fight toxicity effectively, you need to address the roots of the respective toxic behaviour. And that's kinda hard for certain kinds of toxic behaviour. In fact, I'd deem it borderline impossible.

But first and foremost, I deem a "global training" inefficient against literally any kind of toxic behaviour.

ChubbyCupid

11-02-2012

True facts about the tribunal. The tribunal is not just eliminating toxic players but players who are non-toxic. Generally speaking, the system is just causing more problems and not giving us much of a solution to the problems addressed. Please think carefully when people are asking for a more stengthen tribunal. It is backfiring on most of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWorkTom View Post
Tribunal is not the solution.

People do the MID OR FEED stuff because they "main" roles. No one should ever "main" roles in this game.

You can have your best roles but then you should be good at all roles to better understand how each role is played so you can counter play it.

The Tribunal also does nothing but get people paranoid about bans and creates a community fearful of communicating.

If you teach people how to play its a start on how to get the community focused on improving their own play as well as their team play.

Jshann04

11-02-2012

Quote:
They don't need to get 2000+

1700 would be good enough to teach people basic concepts like CSing, when to and when not to tower dive.
This, plus RIOT does not need to have actual employees to be plat or anything. They invested $2 million to the championship, they should be able to easily put aside a couple thousand as a pool to get pro-players to create the guides. Then you get people who know what they are talking about, and have instant credibility because they are on pro teams. The it's just a matter of RIOT placing those vids/guides in a place that people see them. Just like they do for every normal announcement. They really just have to post them to Youtube, which they give you a free skin if you subscribe to them anyway, put them all in a playlist, and then add a button on the client homepage to the playlist.

TeamWorkTom

11-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferit View Post
Eh...I don't think so.

In this game, one team has to lose. It doesn't matter just how tiny the mistake was that lead to this, "toxic" players will rage over it. These players will always blame their own mistakes on others. They never accept that they were simply outplayed by a better team. They always think their own team is the worst of all.

In addition, toxic behaviour is also abundant in high elo, where "good players" are. How come? If playing good would reduce toxicity, very high elo games should be nearly void of it. But that's far, far from the case.

Toxic behaviour is a complex matter. Most rage/verbal abuse/offensive language problems are due to "caring too much" - people who don't care as much about the outcome of the game are much, MUCH less likely to rage or insult their teammates. Intentional feeding usually happens because these people simply are ******bags or are out for revenge. So called "trollpicking" usually happens because people hate certain roles their team wants them to play or out of revenge.

If you want to fight toxicity effectively, you need to address the roots of the respective toxic behaviour. And that's kinda hard for certain kinds of toxic behaviour. In fact, I'd deem it borderline impossible.

But first and foremost, I deem a "global training" inefficient against literally any kind of toxic behaviour.

They don't accept their actions because its natural in this community to blame someone else.

The social norm for this community is to blame someone else for your own mistakes.

The root of the toxic players is they think they are above everyone on the team. They don't have the mind set that the game is a team based game.

Do you know the average comment by pros on how to raise your ELO? Play AP mid or AD carry take all kills so you can 1v5 the team.

That is a terrible way to improve your ELO but it is standard play because the player base as a whole thinks they are better than they really are.

AK47WOLF

11-02-2012

Quote:
Then teach the community how to play the game.

By giving people basic and advanced videos and information about the game players will be less likely to complain about others skill when they are clearly doing something bad and can simply respond with a comment from the video.

Example when a tank at full HP at say level 7 or 8 tries to tower dive someone at low HP with no ult by him self.
There is absolutely nothing safe about it and with a little kiting will end up the person feeding a free kill.

Another example would be to tell people the importance of CSing, that 20 CS is about the same as a kill and its not worth running around chasing someone for 3 or 4 mins and having the chance of being counter ganked.

By sending the person back you have effectively done something good. The player now has to waste time going back heal and loses XP and CS.

Many people focus on kills instead of objectives and CSing. ARTS or MOBAS in general have a high learning cap. Most "common" knowledge for more dedicated players is not common knowledge for the majority of the player base.

For instance. Your in mid or top. You die. Instead of hanging back and focusing on safe play because you are behind in gold and xp, the average player goes right back into fighting them likes its Street Fighter where the game is twitch reflex based.

But in LoL that is not the case. Skill in LoL is more than handling your character. Its knowing match ups. Its knowing when to engage. Its knowing when you farm and when to fight. Its more knowledge based than actual mechanical skill.

So because this game is more knowledge based I really think Riot should start teaching the community how to play the game on a basic level, and if they wanted to encourage pros to teach the community at a competitive level.

I am not saying Riot knows best, but they are better than the average person simply because they created the game. They test and figure out most aspects of the game because not only do they make it they enjoy playing the game.

Maybe this sounds crazy but its pretty common for players not to understand that when they are behind they need to catch the other team at mistakes and play safer.

The community is toxic because its free and easy to play yet the general community does not understand how to actually play the game.

TL: DR version

Riot needs to teach their player base how to play the game even if its just the basics to help curb the toxic player base.

Ex: 20 cs = 1 kill.
Ex2: Play safe and farm when at a disadvantage and force the other team to make mistakes.
Youtube exists.

Snoozealot

11-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimsonKasper View Post
Phreak and Solcrushed are both plat / diamond.
Also I believe scumbag Jatt

TeamWorkTom

11-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferit View Post
Eh...I don't think so.

Global training? When did I say anything about Global training? You didn't read all my posts.

This Toxic community is the worst here in the US. Asia does not have the same problems that it does here.

Countries like South Korea actually take pride in their mannerisms of sportsmanship. They have a totally different perspective on how to act and how to improve, not saying GG at the end of a match of SC2 is considered bad manners and depending on what is said or done can lead to fines.

In Japan the general focus is on family instead of the individual thus playing a team based game they will naturally be more inclined to play as a team instead of being the star.

Riot needs to change the foundation of the American player base attitude to curb toxic players, and teaching people simple basics of the game is a start.

Maha

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimsonKasper View Post
Phreak and Solcrushed are both plat / diamond.
Not to mention, Roku, and Classick.