Mooglet's on Dominion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VoidInsanity

11-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaIfhearted View Post
It just seems like Nome is trying to create a must-buy item for every mage in nearly every situation, but I feel like there are many mages who didn't need the help, some of which still won't be getting Witchcap (Brand, Swain), and Witchcap is still atrociously expensive while building out of similarly expensive pieces.
Indeed. What is needed is more items that a mage can buy that build into better items to put them on par with other champions at that stage of the game. Frozen Mallet / Rylais do the same thing on paper, but with Frozen you get to make it from a phage which gives you something special early. Not only that they have more than 1 path for the item (Trinity Force). What AP's need is some items that give weaker benefits that build into the current strong items they require. The SR items don't have to be in dominion provided an item that fits it's purpose still exists.

Off the top of my head, some combos that could be used to make 3K items. They might end up being more expensive than their SR counterparts to complete but at least the mages would benefit more while completing them, and maybe others too. Item's purely for casters that a bruiser or hybrid (jax) would not want.
  • Glacial Shroud + Blasting Wand + gold = Woogles Hourglass (Armour, Mana, AP, CDR, Active - Gain a damage absorbing shield equal to your AP for 4 seconds)
  • Guardian Angel = Replace Passive - Passively reduce the healing of people who attack/cast spells on you for a second or two.
  • New Sweeper + NLR + gold = Woogles Sweeper (A Broom - AP, Hp, CDR, Movespeed, +%ap)
  • Haunting Guise + Negaton + gold = Abyssal Mask (Ap, MR, HP, -Mr Aura)
  • New Item (1.5K ish gold total) = Unique: Your spell damage will slow the target by 20% for 1 second (7% for multi-target spells, damage-over-time spells and spells with a cooldown time below 3 seconds)
  • New Item + Giants Belt = Rylai's Something Frosty

It would be nice to play an ap and not be forced into rushing frozen heart as my go to survivability item, without removing or nerfing the frozen heart (that item is required to keep ranged AD in their place). Frozen heart is currently one of the core AP items because it builds from glacial and becomes something awesome, AP need more items like that. Does not have to be anything like the above, they just need the ability to buy smaller items that build into a choice of bigger items, or some stronger mid tier items like bruisers have (A caster version of Wits End for example, having spell casts grant armour for a few seconds).

HaIfhearted

11-03-2012

I must respectfully disagree with Frozen Heart as being core on *all* AP casters.

Cassiopea likes to build Thornmail or Randuins as her armor item, Katerina just does Thornmail no questions asked when she needs armor, as does Rumble.
I often see the rare Fiddlesticks that pop up occasionally in Dom pick up Zhonyas Hourglass, although soon that will transform into lol Witchcap.

Really, what sort of armor item you pick up depends on which mages you're playing.
It's not always just Glacial/FH all the time.

-----

A bit off-topic, but I automatically hate any Dominion mage item that builds out of Needlessly Large Rod.

Seriously, that item takes too long to acquire, and leaves you too squishy while you're saving up for it/whatever you're building it out of.

Also no utility, although I guess that'll change with Witchcap.....

DiscworldDeath

11-03-2012

Most Katarinas I see get Zhonya for armour.

I don't see FH as a bad item on Kat, especially after the DFG nerf.

VoidInsanity

11-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscworldDeath View Post
Most Katarinas I see get Zhonya for armour.

I don't see FH as a bad item on Kat, especially after the DFG nerf.
After the DFG nerf I don't really see any viable alternates to a Frozen unless they bring the remade Blackfire (made from haunting+pick) into dominion in some form.

HaIfhearted

11-04-2012

Katerina doesn't really need CDR though, since her passive takes care of that.
Cass only really needs CDR for her ult, and its cooldown is manageable enough as is.

Since those 2 don't really get a full benefit from FH, I prefer to give them more niche armor items.
Thornmail on Kat to help her kill stuff faster, and Randuins on Cass to help her stay alive and kite more effectively.

Nome or Die

Game Designer

11-04-2012
5 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicleX View Post
After the DFG nerf I don't really see any viable alternates to a Frozen unless they bring the remade Blackfire (made from haunting+pick) into dominion in some form.
BFT will be in Dominion.

@HaIfHearted
They're going to be "must-buys" only because there's a lack of itemization options. I've said it a few times before, but this is going to be a slow project. These AP item changes are the first step. S3 will be the next step. We'll evaluate where to proceed from there.

konfetarius

11-04-2012

Are you going to be slowly replacing SR oriented AP items for Dominion?

BrutalScream

11-04-2012

Lol

HaIfhearted

11-04-2012

Dominion APs are already mostly fine.

The stats on Blackfire torch are just overwhelmingly strong, and I honestly wish you had come and asked people like myself and some of the other guys in the DD chat first or some of our tourney players first.

Dominion APs are already strong enough as is.
I feel as though you are trying to push our APs over the edge into OP land with some of these items.

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
BFT will be in Dominion.

@HaIfHearted
They're going to be "must-buys" only because there's a lack of itemization options. I've said it a few times before, but this is going to be a slow project. These AP item changes are the first step. S3 will be the next step. We'll evaluate where to proceed from there.
Can you give us any kind of timeline for S3 items? Will it be this year or next?