Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Looking to buy a new computer; Need some tech

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Delirium Tremen

10-07-2010

Post the current specs of your computer, you can probably just add some ram or a better cpu instead of wasting 1000+ dollars on a new rig. I originally built my computer 5 years ago and once a year I get a new item for it and upgrade it slowly. People usually rush to the highest priced parts thinking that what they'll need for max setting gaming, honestly unless you're multitasking a lot any of the i series cpu's are gonna be overkill.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

10-07-2010

Quote:
FistfulofHam:
Post the current specs of your computer, you can probably just add some ram or a better cpu instead of wasting 1000+ dollars on a new rig. I originally built my computer 5 years ago and once a year I get a new item for it and upgrade it slowly. People usually rush to the highest priced parts thinking that what they'll need for max setting gaming, honestly unless you're multitasking a lot any of the i series cpu's are gonna be overkill.

Pretty much what he said. Instead of trying to go cutting edge, step back one and save a ton of money and get awesome performance. If you post a DXDiag I can take a look at your current system and recommend a few things based off it, as well as completely new builds.

Another point to keep in mind is a lot of applications still are not designed to execute across more than 2 cores. So right now you can go with some awesome AM3 socket dual core processors from AMD, and later upgrade the socket to a six core Thuban, when applications start executing across 4 and 6 cores.

Coedeed

10-07-2010

The only reason I got a quad is so I can play BF:BC2 without any fps lag when everything is exploding up next to me :3

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

10-07-2010

Quote:
Coedeed:
The only reason I got a quad is so I can play BF:BC2 without any fps lag when everything is exploding up next to me :3

I run a Core 2 Duo E7400, 3Gb Ram, and a GTX275, and I have zero frame rate issues with the game on high settings. Although you are correct about the core execution, BF:BC2 is one of the FEW applications that will execute on multiple cores.

Seiyaru

10-08-2010

I can't attach it in a post but I have a DxDiag from a while back. Nothings changed, though this is a laptop which is why I wanna buy a whole new rig and use some money from selling this to get it. I do like the idea of just progressively upgrading once I buy a rig and saving money instead of trying to keep up to date every so often. Realistically the only thing I am looking to play is World of Warcraft casually during Cataclysm, and LoL. Don't have interest in other PC games. =x I simply hate the FPS drop that this computer gives me right now on LoL and the lack of good Latency and FPS on WoW.