Looking to buy a new computer; Need some tech

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Delirium Tremen

10-07-2010

Post the current specs of your computer, you can probably just add some ram or a better cpu instead of wasting 1000+ dollars on a new rig. I originally built my computer 5 years ago and once a year I get a new item for it and upgrade it slowly. People usually rush to the highest priced parts thinking that what they'll need for max setting gaming, honestly unless you're multitasking a lot any of the i series cpu's are gonna be overkill.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistfulofHam View Post
Post the current specs of your computer, you can probably just add some ram or a better cpu instead of wasting 1000+ dollars on a new rig. I originally built my computer 5 years ago and once a year I get a new item for it and upgrade it slowly. People usually rush to the highest priced parts thinking that what they'll need for max setting gaming, honestly unless you're multitasking a lot any of the i series cpu's are gonna be overkill.
Pretty much what he said. Instead of trying to go cutting edge, step back one and save a ton of money and get awesome performance. If you post a DXDiag I can take a look at your current system and recommend a few things based off it, as well as completely new builds.

Another point to keep in mind is a lot of applications still are not designed to execute across more than 2 cores. So right now you can go with some awesome AM3 socket dual core processors from AMD, and later upgrade the socket to a six core Thuban, when applications start executing across 4 and 6 cores.

Coedeed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2010

The only reason I got a quad is so I can play BF:BC2 without any fps lag when everything is exploding up next to me :3

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coedeed View Post
The only reason I got a quad is so I can play BF:BC2 without any fps lag when everything is exploding up next to me :3
I run a Core 2 Duo E7400, 3Gb Ram, and a GTX275, and I have zero frame rate issues with the game on high settings. Although you are correct about the core execution, BF:BC2 is one of the FEW applications that will execute on multiple cores.

Seiyaru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2010

I can't attach it in a post but I have a DxDiag from a while back. Nothings changed, though this is a laptop which is why I wanna buy a whole new rig and use some money from selling this to get it. I do like the idea of just progressively upgrading once I buy a rig and saving money instead of trying to keep up to date every so often. Realistically the only thing I am looking to play is World of Warcraft casually during Cataclysm, and LoL. Don't have interest in other PC games. =x I simply hate the FPS drop that this computer gives me right now on LoL and the lack of good Latency and FPS on WoW.