[Featured Discussion] Support Role Suggestion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voeloes View Post
Hadn't thought of it in that vein of thought. or brought numbers into it. Makes sense. At least its another idea in the pot.
Indeed! There have been some very interesting ideas set forth in this thread.

Falsen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2012

The 40% farm or the gold income is just an stupid idea. Supports are fine like they are now, no need to give them gold and bonus stuff. Really. "Synergy" will do snowballin easier and it just bad. Getting gold for doing nothing? i don't think so.
If they want to give support a buff for the gold, just take all the conventional supports and give them a little buff on their gold per second. I mean the gold you get always that is like 1 per second or something, give them 1,5 or 2 per second to all supports

CupcakeTrap

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falsen View Post
The 40% farm or the gold income is just an stupid idea. Supports are fine like they are now, no need to give them gold and bonus stuff. Really. "Synergy" will do snowballin easier and it just bad. Getting gold for doing nothing? i don't think so.
If they want to give support a buff for the gold, just take all the conventional supports and give them a little buff on their gold per second. I mean the gold you get always that is like 1 per second or something, give them 1,5 or 2 per second to all supports
First of all, Riot disagrees with you, and so do I. Several S3 changes accomplish the goal of increasing the size of the 5th champion's goldstream. For example, ambient gold has been buffed, and farm gold reduced, which reduces the gold disparity between "5th champions" and the others. This is nice for Supports in that it lets them get more items and have fun racking up gold, and it's good for the game in that it will make more champions viable as duo-laners.

Second, I completely disagree with both your claim that Synergy would give Supports "gold for doing nothing" and the attitude behind such a claim. CS is a key measure of a lane's success: if you're zoned or pressured, you start to lose CS, whereas if you have a strong lane you're able to get close to perfect CS. Supports play a huge role in the success of a lane. Supports are STRONGER than ADCs early on, because of their significant base stats, and correct use of their abilities dramatically increases the effective power of an ADC. Supports set up plays and make them work.

The one place we agree: Supports are fine now. I agree in the sense that I love playing Support, both in the sense of playing a duo lane with somebody and in the sense of enjoying champs who can save their teammates and amplify their teammates' power. But there ARE some issues with Supports right now, first and foremost of which is gold starvation. Riot agrees and is trying to make S3 more fun for Supports, as well as to provide more ways for Support players to show off their skills.

avarisce

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by florrie View Post
I'd like to see what idiot team wants Annie over Sona.
especially if sona is given ap carry ratios.

avarisce

11-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
And by the same logic, stop running Morganna mid. She is clearly described as a support in her champion page.
then so be it. she just really needs an hourglass to initiate anyway

Alphazonex

12-03-2012

Yeah

Incinerate

05-17-2013

This needs a bump given all the support hate lately

BallsDeep Or AFK

05-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Hello. I'd like to remind everyone that i am NOT a game designer.

I think an important point between the Sona vs Annie thing is that a support is strong because of their utility abilities. These abilities are not improved with AP (stuns don't get longer, speed buffs don't get speedier). The kit of a support with lots of utility is balanced around that.

Someone like Annie are strong because they can kill people. More items (and therefore more AP) helps her do that better. This is why a fed Annie will kill a fed Sona. Gold on Annie scales more than gold on Sona, because Annie's strengths get stronger with gold (and AP items) while Sona's don't get as strong, because her strength is in the utility, not the damage.
Lux

omkeyu

10-15-2013

I don't think synergy is the correct solution to fix the support role. Noone would take 0% traditional support when they can take 0% Annie.

It's been almost a year.
S3 support itemization and masteries have done nothing.
Buff traditional supports.

ElviratheCrone

03-29-2014