I'm tired of this "First pick means I get ___"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

adc

10-31-2012

Defile: I first pick Cassiopeia in most of my games. I have a 67% win rate with her. Sure, picking a weaker hero like zigg's will give you trouble, but if you're competent with a strong hero, you can deal with most counterpicks. That said, I still don't think you should first pick mid, but in low Elo solo queue, nobody knows that.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
Defile: I first pick Cassiopeia in most of my games. I have a 67% win rate with her. Sure, picking a weaker hero like zigg's will give you trouble, but if you're competent with a strong hero, you can deal with most counterpicks. That said, I still don't think you should first pick mid, but in low Elo solo queue, nobody knows that.
To support this statement, according to league of stats, most "counterpicks" only result in a 5% lower win-rate for that champion.

That means a champion that wins 57% of the time against all champions would win 52% of the time against their counter pick.

If AD Bottom's win rate with Cassiopeia is 67%, then his win-rate only against champions that are supposedly Cass counters is maybe something like 60% at worst.

If he has no other champion that he can play at higher than a 60% win rate, countered or not, Cass is unquestionable his best pick, every time, no matter what, countered or not.

Best Furry NA

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
To support this statement, according to league of stats, most "counterpicks" only result in a 5% lower win-rate for that champion.

That means a champion that wins 57% of the time against all champions would win 52% of the time against their counter pick.

If AD Bottom's win rate with Cassiopeia is 67%, then his win-rate only against champions that are supposedly Cass counters is maybe something like 60% at worst.

If he has no other champion that he can play at higher than a 60% win rate, countered or not, Cass is unquestionable his best pick, every time, no matter what, countered or not.
VERY interesting statistics; I must remember this!

Anyhow....

As for my views. I do believe first pick means something, but we should be flexible. If I call jungle first, or top, or bot, or mid, I expect it. BUT, I am not set in stone either.

In normals, I pretty much expect it if I call it, but I will be nice and hand it over at times.

In draft/ranked, I'll ask for a position instead of calling usually, and either way, I try to talk and work with the team comp.

xMugix

11-01-2012

If Im first pick Ill usually call the role and just play Katarina. Counter picking at lower elos dosent mean much(Even at higher elos Anivia always banned for Froggen despite having the ability to counter pick, or Eve for Alex ich...ect). In my opinion it is even a disadvantage. I lock in Katarina and the guy on the enemy team says "I must counter pick.... Errr... Ill go Kass." Great he counter picked me but in total prolly only has 5 games as Kass vs my 500 as Katarina. Why would he only have 5 games as Kass? Because he spends all his time counter picking instead of becoming good at one champ.

And I believe according to The Summoners Code first pick means First Pick you chose what you get. I don't see a problem with it. It means you may potentially get the role your bad at (Considering you should be able to play 3-4 roles) Youll get the role you arent great with every 10 games or so.

Paradox Pancake

11-01-2012

Discuss your composition with your team during the champion select. I generally expect, when going into a queue, that I'll likely not get middle lane or top lane because they're so vastly popular. Someone posted earlier that they don't see so much sense in an early middle lane pick because that just tells someone who to counter you with. I can't tell you how many times I've seen an early Kassadin pick by the other team and I just roll into middle lane with Talon while my team goes with an AP top.

That being said, play with what your team needs and don't be afraid to try on new champs. I agree that learning the in's and out's of one particular champ is good, but I tend to have two types of every champ that I've learned to supplement what my team needs. Yeah, you're not likely to always get top or mid, but sometimes you will if you're polite about asking for it.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacialwrath View Post
VERY interesting statistics; I must remember this!

Anyhow....

As for my views. I do believe first pick means something, but we should be flexible. If I call jungle first, or top, or bot, or mid, I expect it. BUT, I am not set in stone either.

In normals, I pretty much expect it if I call it, but I will be nice and hand it over at times.

In draft/ranked, I'll ask for a position instead of calling usually, and either way, I try to talk and work with the team comp.
Yea, don't get me wrong, there are counters.
But the player who is counterpicking you must know how to play the champion he's playing at least as well as you know how to play your champion for it to drastically increase your odds. Player skill is still the main determining factor.

AJStarhiker

11-01-2012

The main problem I have is that first pick sometimes has to rush on jumping on banning. If something glitches and first pick is late connecting, it's a missed ban. Then, if the other team bans quickly (because they had time to think), it makes it difficult to actually discuss anything while the timer runs down. If my attention is split, I'll run 'default' picks and I don't always see who 'called' where. While I don't mind running trades, it is frustrating to have first pick, only to find everyone else has already decided where they'll go.

Not Even Warded

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmork View Post
first pick or not people that call a lane should get it. This first pick stuff just causes trolling.
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻ (i wanted mid b***h!!!)

Elusiv3

11-01-2012

People seem to just want to call a lane anyway..
What happened to people actually trying to form a well balanced team.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2750184

supernewb77

11-03-2012

This is one that pisses me off. IMO, calling a lane does not mean anything. While I do agree with the concept of communication and teamwork, based on my understanding of the pick system(and i could be wrong about this), the highest elo player get first pick and so on. What good does it do to have the lowest elo player come in and call "MID"? The way I see it, and I have come to resign myself to this, if I am last pick, I have already set myself to support until I see someone else take it.