Point of Support?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lumberjock

10-31-2012

I dont know what it is i'm not seeing here, but it seems like support is almost a liability unless you've got 2 or 3 people who actually know what their doing. I dont play ranked really, so the chances of people knowing what their doing are very very slim.

I understand why you would take it to lane early on, their supposed to cover the adc's butt while they cs or save them from trouble. But inside of 10 minutes the accepted strat becomes dive the carry, and rarely is the support able to do anything about it if its an honest to god gank like 3v2 from jungle.

I've seen many players not know what to do with a support, they watch their support get harassed to point of death, then go b when the support does and lose bot tower, or they take a little harass themselves and the entire lane goes to hell as the adc sits at the turret losing cs and the support sits there also not getting farm from assist or even occasional cs.

Alternatively I've seen supports that hide behind the ADC, only place 1 ward and manage to ks the ADC. Eventually they just stand at turret, essentially giving the lane away.

In either case, after 10 minutes you have a mostly useless charecter who exists for the odd and occasional clutch save and who more often then not just gets killed by AoE or picked off as a straggler.

I have seen some very good supports who validate the role, but I feel like for 90% of this player base the lane would be better off with 2 champs sharing cs or else 1 person getting kills and the other csing.

adc

10-31-2012

You do it because you need the practice. Eventually you're going to realize that you're doing it wrong, get better, help the other player get better, and then get to the point where you're playing with competent AD carries. I'm sort of on the edge of that (1450 Elo) where people know how to back up the support properly, and people know how to leave kills for the AD carry and stuff. I mean, I even had an entire team leave a kill for me when I was about to get a pentakill - you never see that at lower levels. Once you get up there, the practice is important.

Fiveofswords

10-31-2012

if you dont have a support, then you dont have an adc either. the support doesnt farm minions. If people on bot are splitting gold then its not a place for an adc. period.

Lumberjock

10-31-2012

I guess your not understanding where I'm coming from. The people I play with in normals are frequently not good enough to make use of a support. And I'm not doing support all that often, I'll play all lanes cause its normals.

I guess my statements goes more to the point of "why follow the meta in team comp when you wont/arent capable of it in actual game play"

Fiveofswords

10-31-2012

well learn to be capable of it. cant be capable without practice. Honestly its not hard so idk why you think people arent capable...probably selling yourself short. Support has most of the control in the laning phase. WHether the adc does well and whether you die to ganks etc is mostly in the control of the support. sound slike you had bad players trying to play support.

LogicalTautology

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjock View Post
I guess your not understanding where I'm coming from. The people I play with in normals are frequently not good enough to make use of a support. And I'm not doing support all that often, I'll play all lanes cause its normals.

I guess my statements goes more to the point of "why follow the meta in team comp when you wont/arent capable of it in actual game play"
You are saying that with a ADC and a '0-cs Support' you end up with 1 useless character lategame.
If you were instead to split gold in botlane at all (whether splitting cs/kills, or whatever), you will end up with 2 useless characters lategame.

The better solution to your problem is to get to a point where people are better at playing Support.

Fiveofswords

10-31-2012

supports play champs that dont require a lot of farm to be useful, and they stack a lot of gp5. So they actually arent useless late game.
But an adc supprot is totally useless in all stages of the game. if an adc is only farming half the gold or something, then your game will suck. might as well have no adc on your team, and lose all teamfights. try to split push win.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-31-2012

Supports are typically champions that can make a big impact without much gold.

Take Alistar, for example, the more gold you earn though GP10 and assists, the tankier you can get (and the more aggressive you can play), but gold or no gold, Alistar makes a pretty big impact on the game just from his two CCs.