Idea for season 3 and a way to fix elo system

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Unrealforreal

10-31-2012

Simple everyone starts 0 elo

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-31-2012

1) What's broken?
2) How does this idea fix that?

Unrealforreal

10-31-2012

its not that its broken its just you get all this bad kids on your team and what are you to do bout it i am tired of trying to climb up elo but getting caught with people who fed and get crushed cause they don't know what they are doing so by putting everyone's elo to 0 for season 3 that means you would earn your elo instend of being preset to 1250 i am not saying go to negitve if you loose but starting at 0 would efficiently get you with players at your own skill

gvaness

10-31-2012

You would also start at 0.
I assume losing would keep you at 0, meaning that it would take longer for people winning to avoid playing with people that are losing.

Why is 0 a magic number? Let them go negative, and think of 1200 as 0 and you have the same system.

No, the main problem with elo is that we are trying to assign skill to an individual based on the results of a team. No solution is really going to be ideal.

xLwang69

Recruiter

10-31-2012

go read my post... perhaps my thinking is a real solution

KingSnafu

10-31-2012

starting at 0 would simply bring all the scores down 1200 points and would solve nothing maybe read the thousands upon thousands of threads that have the same kind of ideas but... much better written then yourself

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSnafu View Post
starting at 0 would simply bring all the scores down 1200 points and would solve nothing maybe read the thousands upon thousands of threads that have the same kind of ideas but... much better written then yourself
It wouldn't even bring all the scores down 1200.

It would simply take the 2k+ players longer to get there.

If you put everyone at 0, then you're putting everyone from 0-1200 at that range. A player whose true skill is 1200 who started playing like 4 months after the season started would easily win all the games from 0-900 or so at least before the games even started looking difficult or balanced.

Rutank

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrealforreal View Post
1. Get better
2. Win games nub. LOL

lockpooh

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
It wouldn't even bring all the scores down 1200.

It would simply take the 2k+ players longer to get there.

If you put everyone at 0, then you're putting everyone from 0-1200 at that range. A player whose true skill is 1200 who started playing like 4 months after the season started would easily win all the games from 0-900 or so at least before the games even started looking difficult or balanced.
I'm shocked to say I agree with you.

I used to queue with 2 others in ranked, 1 person was better then me and one person wasn't as good. We just started to duo queue with each other on & off for the last month. We've stayed around the same elo overall. Well, in the last week none of us have been on at the same time as the others. So we've been solo queueing. I've stayed at around 1150-1250. The person better then me is now 1500. The person not as good is bumped down to around 1k.

If elo hell existed, in that skill can not climb you out, I wonder how the person better then me got to 1500, I've stayed the same and person worse then both of us is dropping.

Ello hell exists because you belong there. Admittedly, I play a lot less then the other 2. But regardless, the other two are polarising because of skill. Not because of some random "ello hell" effect.

In truth, starting at 0 would make things worse imo. Starting at 1200, in theory, would drop people like my friend to <1k allowing them to play with people of equal skill. That means people at 1200 have a BETTER chance at climbing out since people with lesser skill will theoretically fall out of the 1200 bracket. Having everyone start at 0 means the people with no skill or trolling have no where to drop to. You're already at the bottom and they'll keep you there.

Shadogi

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrealforreal View Post
They did this is WoW with the arena system after abandoning starting everyone at 1200 and it sucked ass. Even though you may be a 2000+ player, it took forever to grind all that ELO to get up there. At only 32 points per win, it would take 63 winning games to get there, not counting any losses along the way and not including the actual game and queue time. Mind you, queue times in WoW, especially at high ELO, were much longer than LoL, so I might be biased there!

I suppose it wouldn't be that bad in LoL though because in WoW, your ELO determined the number of arena points you gained a week, which were used to purchase items. In this scenario, it was actually an issue if it took a while to grind ELO.