Riot helped me change game's aspect ratio and have an easier time playing now

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gotanychimsphere

10-31-2012

The reason this made me a better player is because of the wider view. I used to have to spend a lot of time moving the camera around to see what is going on because of such a restricted view. I didn't have much room to move my mouse or it would cause the camera to shake around a lot and I would constantly lose concentration farming or in team fights because I would have to keep resetting my camera.

My monitor's native resolution is 1280x1024 (5:4 ratio). I watched people stream their games and noticed how much more of the field they could see because of their bigger resolution. Riot told me how to change the available resolutions in the settings file and gave me a 16:9 ratio to use (1280x720). The difference in how much of the Fields of Justice I see is HUGE!!! I almost never need to adjust the camera anymore. No more shaky camera and no more getting lost in teamfights. I also have a much easier time seeing incoming ganks because of the huge view increase.

Riot should add a tip on the loading screen or at the beginning of the match about the game being designed around the 16:9 aspect ratio and to use one of those resolutions for an optimal experience. Once I adjusted the settings, full screen just appeared like a letterbox movie on Netflix would appear so it isn't hard to get used to at all.

This is a good tip for players who have non-16:9 ratio monitors

Malkshakevanilla

10-31-2012

Would you like to tell everyone how to change the aspect ratio?

Gotanychimsphere

10-31-2012

Sure. If you don't have a 16:9 monitor, which you probably don't or else you wouldn't need to do this, Google the first number of your resolution, followed by hd. For example: 1280 hd

Find your Riot Games folder, from there Riot Games > League of Legends > Config > game.cfg

To open the game.cfg, hold shift and right-click the file, choose Open with.. and choose Notepad. Once it is open, under [General] there will be fields Height and Width. Change those to the HD equivalent you found.

Once you do that, the game will be in 16:9 widescreen view next time you enter the game and it will give you a bigger view of your lane. It is very nice!

Tatakai

10-31-2012

wow great tip! i've always felt like when watching other streams they had a much larger field of view, this is much better!

Nikki Sixx

11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotanychimsphere View Post
Sure. If you don't have a 16:9 monitor, which you probably don't or else you wouldn't need to do this, Google the first number of your resolution, followed by hd. For example: 1280 hd

Find your Riot Games folder, from there Riot Games > League of Legends > Config > game.cfg

To open the game.cfg, hold shift and right-click the file, choose Open with.. and choose Notepad. Once it is open, under [General] there will be fields Height and Width. Change those to the HD equivalent you found.

Once you do that, the game will be in 16:9 widescreen view next time you enter the game and it will give you a bigger view of your lane. It is very nice!
I know this is an old post, but if anyoen else can answer this question it would be great. I can't find the hd equivalent of my resolution. My resolution is 1680x1050. Is this already hd? I've always had a huge problem with my view distance/aspect ratio and I could really use some help.

Nikki Sixx

11-11-2012

Can someone please help? :\

ShyGuyFTW

3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Sixx View Post
Can someone please help? :\
Did you ever get an answer to this? i could use some help too.

Quil Evrything

3 Weeks Ago

There's a whole menu section for this in the options screen now >.>
Under Video or something obvious.
No editing files required.
The stupid part is you can only access it while *playing a game*.
(so, you might want to throw together a custom game with no players, just to play with your video settings)

If you have a small monitor, the way to force letterbox would probably to pick
"windowed, borderless, (your.chosenXresolution)"