Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Last hitting: Ranged > Melee ?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LaXGhosty

10-31-2012

Hi

I'm still fairly new to the game and I'm not bad at doing most things, but one thing I'm god-awful at is last-hitting minions as a melee.

I prefer to play bruisers like Olaf, Cho'Gath, Lee Sin etc. but I find it hard enough to last-hit minions against aggressive top-laners (Malphite... he just spams his Q on me) , not to mention when playing against ranged characters... I had to play Cho'Gath mid against a Teemo and whenever I'd go towards a minion to last-hit the Teemo would hit me 2+ times and slowly whittle me down... I feel like I have no option, as if I don't last hit and hang back then they win in CS / minion farm, If i try to last hit then they get kills and get fed :\

What can I do?

Burbinator

10-31-2012

Champions like teemo are extremely good against melee only champions.

What you can do: max your ranged skill first. usually olaf maxes e, but in a lane vs ranged you max Q for maximum harass and ranged farming ability when you cant. For cho, you max your W, because his q is unreliable to hit without chaining it onto your teammates cc.

Lee sin should **** on most ranged champions if its 1v1. The thing you have to realize is that bruisers have MUCH better base stats and if you DO get into range you will mess them up really hard. If you land your axes as olaf and manage to gap close, if you manage to hit rupture, etc etc. You also have higher base ms which means you can get many auto attacks off before they get back to tower safety.

Obviously if they have poked you down enough that you are half hp before you manage to get this engage, they'll just kill you. In this case it is simply a skill match up (and experience, too, so you know what kind of situatoins are favorable for you to commit).

For this reason lee is actually very good against many ranged. You have TWO ways of gap closing. You can w into range if they stand near a friendly minion, slow them and hit them with a point blank q for maximum damage. Or you can try to land a long range q, in which case if you do you can jump to them, hit them a few times and then w away and take relatively little harass damage.

LaXGhosty

10-31-2012

Thanks very much for your advice Burbinator I'll bear this in mind next time I'm playing a bruiser against a ranged.