Scariest Mid Lane Champion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Simiun

10-31-2012

Hey guys. I am an 800 ELO player doing my best to claw my way out of this pit, haha. I've been reading a lot of guides and tips and such. I have noticed a lot of people say the best way to gain elo is to play a champion role that has a large impact on the game, like jungle or mid/AP Carry. Well, I have a lot of junglers and know how to play them well. But I am lacking in the Mid Lane department. I own quite a few mid laners, but don't play them that well because I am usually jungling. Anyway, I am looking to start playing mid lane more and wanna commit to learning a strong mid laner. What suggestions do you guys have?

Mid Lane champs owned: Annie, Evelynn, Fiddlesticks, Janna, Jayce, Karthus, Katarina, Master Yi, Morgana, Ryze, Sion, Twisted Fate, Veigar, Zilean.

TLDR: I want to learn a strong mid lane champ. Which one is the strongest at the 800 ELO level in your opinion?

Mindcraze

10-31-2012

Annie is strong in low elo but higher you get switch to brand. he is always a good choice in any comp.

Draphen

10-31-2012

Annie's stun makes her pretty powerful early game, I'm personally a twisted fate fan due to his gate and teleport ganks

Simiun

10-31-2012

I haven't really spent time with either of those champs. Great suggestions guys! Keep 'em coming!

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-31-2012

If you are at 800 elo, then it is not the champion pick that is the problem, rather, it is your ability to win the game as a whole

Many small things add up to this factor, for example, last hit, harass in lane, how to engage in a team fight, zoning the enemy and more. Mastering these things will eventually allow you to dominate with all champions, it is not until when you reach higher elo that you need to start counting the fact with counterpicking and team comp.

So rather than trying to win game with certain champion which is often referred as a pubstomper, you should focus primarily on your basic skills.

Simiun

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExecutionerKen View Post
If you are at 800 elo, then it is not the champion pick that is the problem, rather, it is your ability to win the game as a whole

Many small things add up to this factor, for example, last hit, harass in lane, how to engage in a team fight, zoning the enemy and more. Mastering these things will eventually allow you to dominate with all champions, it is not until when you reach higher elo that you need to start counting the fact with counterpicking and team comp.

So rather than trying to win game with certain champion which is often referred as a pubstomper, you should focus primarily on your basic skills.
Ken, I really appreciate your input (especially cause I'm new to the game and started about 2 months ago)! That is great advice and I will definitely take it to heart. I have a couple questions, though, regarding what you've brought to my attention.

I felt like my basic skills were pretty good. Obviously though, from what you have mentioned, they must not be. So what am I missing and how can I best improve on my flaws? I find it difficult to improve when most of the players at my level seem to troll the second something goes wrong.

Like with my last hitting for example: I ADC quite a bit. By the end of the game I'm usually around 150-200 CS. Is that really that bad? If I have a good team I can carry quite well, ending up with 15-20 kills. But it seems like if I die once or twice early on, or the enemy ADC out CS's me a bit, I'm getting yelled at instantly.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simiun View Post
Ken, I really appreciate your input (especially cause I'm new to the game and started about 2 months ago)! That is great advice and I will definitely take it to heart. I have a couple questions, though, regarding what you've brought to my attention.

I felt like my basic skills were pretty good. Obviously though, from what you have mentioned, they must not be. So what am I missing and how can I best improve on my flaws? I find it difficult to improve when most of the players at my level seem to troll the second something goes wrong.

Like with my last hitting for example: I ADC quite a bit. By the end of the game I'm usually around 150-200 CS. Is that really that bad? If I have a good team I can carry quite well, ending up with 15-20 kills. But it seems like if I die once or twice early on, or the enemy ADC out CS's me a bit, I'm getting yelled at instantly.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
Well, I would like to say it in my point of view, which might be a little bit harder for you to understand.

First of all, having a lot of last hit and a lot of kills are not necessarily good. For example, if you have 200 cs while the enemy have 400, then you are quite screwed. At the same time, even if you only have 3 kills ahead of the enemy, if it is 3/0/0 compare to 0/3/0, obviously the enemy is really far behind.

To be serious though. Ignore the stats for a moment. This is a game where the team who pushes into the nexus wins. What this means is that even if the enemy have 20k gold advantage, or maybe having all the objectives such as dragon and baron. In the end, the team who can utility their abilities and take down the Nexus always win.

Yes, objectives often help you to achieve the power to push into the enemy base, however, you should never focus too much on the objectives. CLG.na, often ignore baron, but they make the enemy pay with split pushing into their nexus. At the same time, Dig, who often run strong poke comp, has the ability to siege on forever so that the enemy will have to back off at some point. CLG.eu, on the other hand, represent the most turtle team out of all, using wave clearing abilities and just stall the game even if the enemy have baron.

All these play styles eventually come into two purposes.
1. Defending their own Nexus
2. Going straight for enemy Nexus.

(Cr@p, I feel like I kinda go off topic, whatever)

Now, in solo queue, obviously you can't expect the teamwork as much as a premade team.

However, there is still room to expand and make good use of your advantage.

Lets say you have Annie, whose mid game is strong as hell once she gets her Tibber. Do you make good use of it by Siege or taking objectives? If no, why is it happening? Is it that the teammates want to farm, or is it that you feel like you need to farm?

Stop FARMING (people might disagree with me on this point) or farm while you are sieging and pressuring the enemy.

The key to victory in this example is to make good use of Annie's power during mid game. It doesn't matter that if there is a Kog and he wants to farm, it doesn't matter if the enemy have Soraka and can most likely outsustain you in a siege. You make good use of your strength by being able to stun the entire enemy team with high burst damage, and can easily ace the enemy if there is another strong AoE cc or damage champion.

TeknoWizard

10-31-2012

Any champion with the ability to mess up the entire enemy team. I'd say Karthus, cuz global presence is OP. Also, try picking up Kennen. Safe laning phase, and a game-changing ult.

Shesocold

10-31-2012

If you can land skillshots ahri is a great choice. Or what I've had some fun with is AP Tryndamere. Put up some MR early then AP and no one knows what to do when you spin on top of them chunking them for half their health plus your heal becomes op lol

ArtDZ

10-31-2012

I'm gunna have to partially disagree to executionerken. Although it's definately true that at this elo many skills are lacking, I think specialization towards a few champs works will work better early on.

Pick like 1-2 mid champs and get really good at them. I'm a big fan of Kat and TF from your list. Even if the other team counter picks you mid, the strong roaming power they have can quickly turn it into an advantage.

TLDR specialize and work on playing a few champs well enough to carry.