Help with Olaf

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Capmjack

10-30-2012

Does anybody have any advice for Olaf?

I'm mainly looking for help with how the gp10-CDR build works, what champions he is weak against and how to compensate, how to trade as Olaf , and a good skill order.

DarkAkumaLord

10-30-2012

Play aggressively, search up guides, oh here's one just for you =D GL on your battles!
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...-jungle-191846

iGive Kids Candy

10-30-2012

Just because you are low on health, doesn't mean you're out of the fight. Olaf shines brightest with low health.

Durzaka

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAkumaLord View Post
Play aggressively, search up guides, oh here's one just for you =D GL on your battles!
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...-jungle-191846

No dont use that.

Use solomid.net

And you didnt specific whether you are jungling or top lane, that can change the play style.

Burbinator

10-31-2012

That guide is out of date, although not terrible for a mobafire guide.

I do advise you use solomid guides, however.

Good cdr items for olaf: shurelias, frozen heart (thats all you need really).

You trade by hitting e and backing out. Ideal combo is something like q, hit, e, hit, back off, but a lot of times its just bettre to e and run away before they can retaliate.

Remember to activate w before using your skills. For jungle, remember that smite benefits from the spellvamp, however slight, and it adds up.

For laning, you should be getting axes second with only one point in w. E is of course your miant rading tool so max that first. Against ranged you max Q second however since you wont be able to get in range.

Olaf is weak against ranged harass champions. Vlad, nid, kennen etc all beat him, although its not a terrible matchup. If you outplay them VERY well with your axes you can kill them and start snowballing on them, but usually you'll just have to be resigned to farming with axes and getting out cse dslightly.

Olaf is also weak against early jungle ganks, as he lacks hard cc or any kind of mobility. Playing aggressive early is VERY risky especially before you have wards, and even if you do have wards if you go balls deep its not hard for the jungler to simply run you down. That is a main reason olaf is seen very little in top lane nowadays.

Item builds for top lane: philo stone and heart of gold are good items if you can get away with it. Wriggles lantern is a good item if you are against a tough ad opponent, as it provides damage and health and armor and wards all in one, however it will delay your core items by quite a lot. You can choose how tanky/how damgey you want to be, olaf is pretty diverse, but for a cdr/tank build i'd recommend upgrading shurelias (its a mini ghost that has a much shorter cd, very usfeul for your team) and going for a frozen heart. Randuins will round it out if you are against a very heavy physical ad team, but frozen heart is overall more useful than randuins (more cdr, passive is effective even if they arent hitting you, and you can keep HoG for longer). After that you can build more offensively (triforce, maw of malawmortius, blood thirster, whatever) or defensively (force of nature, warmogs, frozen mallet, sunfires).

paintmania101

10-31-2012

Olaf is a top lane bruiser, IMO there are better junglers, who excels against melee characters. Heart of Gold is a great early buy as health is his primary attribute. He has relatively low cooldowns though and one of the few cdr items I could see building is the frozen heart. Just make sure to throw your axe in a position that you can grab it and it becomes spammable.

I like to run ninja boots is opponent is ad otherwise mercs, frozen mallet, randuins, and warmogs as the core build. Some good situational items are force of nature, blood thirster, frozen heart and thornmail. Basically just countering what the enemy team is buildin as well as synergy with your team (if you need to be tankier, a little more burst, etc)

Skill order I go with q, e, w then max e first w next and q last. Obviously getting r at available levels.

Capmjack

10-31-2012

I play Olaf in top lane mostly because my jungling skills are pretty weak atm.
What are some matchups i should look out for other than ranged harassers? I struggle with champions like Xin ,Riven , and Darius as well

Fs Son0fSilas

10-31-2012

^ you really shouldn't be fighting riven early, she has very high early game damage. Xin can be shut down with exaust, E him when he goes to last hit, and when he initiates on you exhaust him. Darius is going to work you, you are better off going 2v1 bot lol.

CounterSnipe

10-31-2012

Ok. I'm going to make this brief.
1) When you top lane Olaf you should memorize his counters by using this link on solomid.net:
http://www.championselect.net/champ/Olaf
I don't always agree with some of them, but usually the top 4 or so are pretty much spot on.

2) Smart cast your Q. Learning to smart cast your Q will make your top lane play much more fluid.

3) THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT TIP. When you are chasing down someone as Olaf (or anyone...) Click on that target ONCE. You only need one click and your character will auto path to the intended enemy and auto attack him/her. This makes chasing enemies through minions or killing specific targets in crowded fights very easy. If you're playing Olaf by going *click click click* you're going to hit a minion, or the tank, and you're going to lose your target. Get in the habit of using only one click and you're gold.

Also, look at this guide for Olaf as well.
http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=...af-build-guide It doesn't use GP5 tho. Personally I only get GP5 when I am jungling Olaf because he doesn't get any farm in jungle, so the GP5 is needed.