Darius or Jayce?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

InTheFace1

10-30-2012

Hello forums. It's time for me to get a new solo top and I wanted to hear recommendations on whether I should get Darius or Jayce. I know they are both good, but what are their strengths, weaknesses, sustain, fun level, etc? Also, does Jayce's kit take a while to get use to?

Right now I top as Irelia, Olaf, Cho, Riv, or Jax usually.

Thanks.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-30-2012

Jayce.

Danorius

10-30-2012

Jayce:
Strengths: Can poke with little resistance, and can deal some serious burst when they get up close. Good at focusing single targets in team fights.
Weaknesses: Can easily burn through mana, and does levee off a bit late game.
Sustain: Actually pretty low compared to most tops. Has good escapes.
Fun level: Meh.

Darius:
Strengths: Can become ridiculously powerful late game. Great execution and passive (one of my favorite passives). Great for clean-up in team fights. Try to save your pull as long as possible.
Weaknesses: Can get kited/poked soo easily. No escapes other then summoner spells.
Sustain: If you get fed, basically unkillable if you play smart. If not, consider yourself gold.
Fun level: Very high. Love slammin' skulls into oblivion.

Friesguy

10-30-2012

I've played both heavily, and I;d say Jayce (yes post-nerf Jayce is VERY useable). Darius (while being a complete pub stomper vs many solo top champs) is easily counterable with one thing: RANGE. Anything with range will screw Darius up. Darius is in no way a bad champ (people hate his ult but that's a different story), but he has no escapes, pushes lane accidentally with his Q, and is prone to junglers camping top early to negate your snowball.

Jayce on the other hand, has no legit counters. Even if a jungler camps top early and he falls behind, his ability to farm safely, and his strong mid and scary late game will help him easily keep up when laning ends.

Heads up on Jayce though, since his nerfs, he is very mana hungry early so you can't spam his abilities early. He's a more passive laner (Darius has to be extremely aggro) and will just have a farm fest. His kit takes 4-5 games to get the hang of (Darius took 1-2 for me).

Both of these champs are banned a lot in draft pick (Jayce more often nowadays), so be prepared to use your arsenal of tops. Jayce works well with any decent team comp I can think of.

EDIT: Fun factor: the satisfaction of a Dairus Ult kind of wore off for me after a few games (for me at least). Jayce's versatility and nailing awesome gate shots are challenging and super satisfying too.

CheersAllAround

10-30-2012

mundo rocks my world. if i had to pick b/w the 2 tho, jayce. everyone hates darius lol

Nishaven90

10-31-2012

Both good, but Jayce brings more utility while Darius brings more tanking ability and damage.

CinnamonxBunnz

10-31-2012

http://www.own3d.tv/Oathbound/live/151246 check out this elo climb

OwlUmbra

Recruiter

10-31-2012

Draven! However, given my knowledge of the two and seeing them both perform on top I would have to recommend Jayce. The ranged damage is almost crucial if you are wanting to solo and the ability to switch to heavy hitting melee is fantastic. Just to get the jump on the enemy with your Q and the accelerating beam is amazing. Besides Darius isn't Draven so, case closed.

super sman 100

11-03-2012

This is a commonly asked question, well Jayce and Darius are both great champions. Darius is a great bruiser, while jayce can kite. If u want a heavy tanker and bruiser go for Darius, if u want a champ that can escape and have great damage , go for Jayce. Personally i prefer Darius

Barbarossa 13

11-03-2012

Darius stands out because he can get alot of kills. Through his ult.

Well Jayce doesn't stand out as much, he offers alot more utility for yourself and your team.