In response to Yegg's post about ranked Dominion.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Purpleskoal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-30-2012

This may be a conspiracy theory on my part, but I've felt for a long time that if they added ranked dominion people would really start complaining about balance issues.

If they keep it the way it is, they don't have to really worry about how the champions perform in dominion. Lets face it, some champs are op on this mode that are fine on SR because you don't have to worry about the lane phase.

IronAegis

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpleskoal View Post
This may be a conspiracy theory on my part, but I've felt for a long time that if they added ranked dominion people would really start complaining about balance issues.

If they keep it the way it is, they don't have to really worry about how the champions perform in dominion. Lets face it, some champs are op on this mode that are fine on SR because you don't have to worry about the lane phase.
Ranked has been the carrot on the stick that drives a lot of long time Dominion players, though. Knowing that ranked isn't coming in the near future could cut into a playerbase that's already small.

Westlin

10-30-2012

I really want ranked dominion QQ its the only way I would be able to play draft without waiting an hour (or having friends).

Hamm3rhand

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpleskoal View Post

i'd be perfectly fine with that. the more people complain the more riot will actually give us some attention. Its not like all the champions are perfectly balanced in SR anyways. There are champions that are clearly stronger than others. And in the past, it has come to light that op champions on dominion are really actually too strong in SR as well, it is just slower there. There are a couple exceptions, one i think might be wukong, who is strong on dominion but doesn't have a good place in the SR meta so he's not used as much. But those are rare, and if there was a meta shift on SR then suddenly it would come to light that these champions are just as strong there as in dominion. Which might happen with the season 3 changes.

NamKim

10-30-2012

I think that Yegg really does not care for Dominion at all. But RiotRival and Vesh has convinced me that there are still Rioters that do care about Dominion. So, I will (for now) allow Riot to have some more time to fullfill Yegg's promise that they will help the community grow. I do this more because of my respect towards Vesh and RiotRival than Yegg's possibly empty promise.

Although, I think almost everyone who knows anything about Dominion probably knows that excluding Riot making the map itself, the reason why the Dominion community is growing is due to Dominate Dominion, not Riot.

Part of me would not be surprise if Riot releases a new updated Dominion (that is currently under works) and ignores Dominion for another 1+ years.

Keep in mind that I was one of the most optimistic guys on the forums several months ago. Meaning Riot's lack of public attention towards Dominion is incredibly draining. I mean, school also played a large role in that too.

WaterD103

10-30-2012

That is stupid, Vesh and other did all they could, which is nothing at all. Yegg at least confirmed that they do not plan to have ranked.

Galgus

10-31-2012

To avoid splitting the fanbase too much, could draft Dominion simply be replaced with ranked?

I could be wrong, but I think the players willing to take the draft wait are the ranked types.

Euthrosyne

10-31-2012

That said, what measures do they realistically think will cause people to stop playing SR and start playing Dominion? The core of the game is set, and if people didn't already like it, it would be hard to imagine them playing it if it is just tweaked slightly.

So what changes will Riot make in the future to grow the database of Dominion players? Will the item rehaul really make that much of a difference in terms of attracting new players to Dominion specifically? Are there changes in store for the mechanism of Dominion? This lack of communication about where you want to go with Dominion is the single most frustrating thing, because it freezes us out of the process as a community. I'm sure many people before me and many people after me will continue to say this, but a few words go a long way.

Here's hoping S3 bears the winds of change.

WaterD103

10-31-2012

Actually what they fear is that they will stop playing SR.

Euthrosyne

10-31-2012

If they feared that, why bother having other modes? Where do they expect the people to come from, then, given that a vast majority of the community plays SR? You can hope to attract new players, but compared to the whole player base, that is merely a trickle.

The only way Dominion will gain people is if people who already play SR (& TT) also decide to play Dominion significantly, and yet the incentives for those people are few and far between.