how come you can't buy skins for champs you don't own?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Coopersnow

10-30-2012

Yeah, just wondering. I'd have liked to of bought the legendary Brand skin and then buy his champ for 6300 ip to still have RP for other skins.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

10-30-2012

Buy brand for 6300 IP then buy the skin for teh RP...

If you don't own a champion, you can't use the skin because you can't _play_ the champion. It would be a huge trap to new players to say 'HEY, here's this awesome skin you can purchase!' 'Oh wait, did you want to use it? *flip the bird*' (Really REALLY bad idea to do this.)

And yes, part of it is marketing; if you want a skin _now_ but don't own the champ, you either need to have the IP (don't waste IP on blind purchases) or fork over some green.

LegitxJoe Daddy

10-30-2012

Well its quite obvious but I see what you mean but its just because you wouldnt have any use for his skin without the champ itself.

Coopersnow

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
Buy brand for 6300 IP then buy the skin for teh RP...

If you don't own a champion, you can't use the skin because you can't _play_ the champion. It would be a huge trap to new players to say 'HEY, here's this awesome skin you can purchase!' 'Oh wait, did you want to use it? *flip the bird*' (Really REALLY bad idea to do this.)

And yes, part of it is marketing; if you want a skin _now_ but don't own the champ, you either need to have the IP (don't waste IP on blind purchases) or fork over some green.
Too late, I already caved and bought Brand and the legendary skin with my RP. Bummed out because that has a time limit, and now I have just below enough RP for another skin. I don't see what would be hard about having a warning though, like "Warning, you do not own this champ. You will not be able to equip this skin until you but the champion"

phil002

10-31-2012

i think its mostly a marketing thing. if you lack the ip but really want the skin you will have to pay for teh champ in rp. riot still has to make money after all

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

10-31-2012

It makes sense to you because that's what you want. Try thinking through it without the 'I WISH I COULD BUY SKINS WITHOUT CHAMPS' thought running through your head, you may see it in a different light.