@Racism, LoL, and Riot

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DingoUnlimited

10-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabnitron View Post
Yes, obviously apartheid stops racism. Great suggestion.
Look around the forums: you see names without faces, people sitting at a faraway place where anything could be happening. You see actions without consequences.

I will ask you this: is there anyway to stop people from being racist without action?

Calling language preference "apartheid" isn't helping the problem of how people are getting away with racism in this game, and how this problem is rooted in internet culture from instances of hatred between two people between computers. Apartheid was forceful segregation. The option to PREFER to play with others who speak a language you understand is nothing but freedom for players to choose the types of people they want to play with and against.

N3uby

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoUnlimited View Post
then stroll over to 4chan and click on \b/ to find out. You cant let this just unfold by itself Riot.
you mean /b/? Way to break rules 1 and 2. Now look, you made me do it too.

DingoUnlimited

10-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uccisore View Post
And yet as long as Brazilians continue to have the tendencies they have in gaming, this problem will keep on coming up over, and over, and over in any game they are allowed to play. You can scold people for talking about it, call them names like 'bigot' and 'racist' all you want, but all you're doing is defending a blind dogma with no connection to the reality of the situation.
The reality of the problem is that when you mix people from different cultures on the internet, people who are not prepared to understand or deal with problems such as self center-ism or being a bad player. I have played many games with people from the US who were feeders and greifers. Just because more people think that they are playing with people from Brazil who don't play by the summoners code doesn't mean all people from that area should be segregated to another server for the actions of those you might have interacted with.

Again I reinstate, we should have a CHOICE on who we wish to play with, not be forced into little servers based on area because of the actions of small groups who ruin the game for the majority. Set up a language preference, not a segregation of the players.

DingoUnlimited

10-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3uby View Post
you mean /b/? Way to break rules 1 and 2. Now look, you made me do it too.
Sorry, my mistake. Just using as an example.

Uccisore

10-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoUnlimited View Post
The reality of the problem is that when you mix people from different cultures on the internet, people who are not prepared to understand or deal with problems such as self center-ism or being a bad player. I have played many games with people from the US who were feeders and greifers.
So have I, but again you mis-represent the problem to say it's about what you or I have experienced. This is a problem on LOTS of games, it probably revolves around the fact that Brazilian gamer culture is based on piracy and hacking, and it really has very little to do with your perception, or mine.

Quote:
Again I reinstate, we should have a CHOICE on who we wish to play with, not be forced into little servers based on area because of the actions of small groups who ruin the game for the majority. Set up a language preference, not a segregation of the players.
Again, you are assuming, with absolutely no evidence, that the BR problem group is a 'small minority', when tons and tons of people are saying the opposite, and they are citing their experience with other games. What reason do you have to believe this?

Dyabolic

10-03-2010

Have you not noticed all the rage threads about ranked games and ******s in it? Ive posted at least 5 in the past couple of days and none of them were BRs. So stop calling out BRs cause they are not alone with their feeding and stupid ways of playing.

@OP I +1ed you cause I agree with ya but making more threads about BRs and Racism will only bring up more of the unnecessary comments/remarks. Best way to go about this, since Riot isn't doing anything about but the usual "this is sad and i can't believe this" posts, is just ignore them and let it die out. And it's not just Riot but the Mods aren't doing **** as well, I mean wtf are they Mods for then?

Kariketsu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-03-2010

I've been reading the @br threads all day, they're aggravating. I commend the OP for saying something mature and intelligent. An oasis in a desert of dumb. Ignoring a problem only makes it worse. The old drug commercial that used to play all the time "Silence is acceptance". Saying you're disgusted with your community base and saying "I'll say no more" is just as bad. People are upset with elo hell, feeders, bad players, bad teammates.. They're looking for someone to blame. "Dey took our jobs!!!! *Rabble Rabble*

tobox

10-03-2010

making a premade with a BR, Chinese, Russian and Australia players. (i have all on my friendlist)
Im going to call it league of nations team, breaking down the language barrier to pwn together.
I will uplaod screenshots, message me for invites

Firestorme

10-03-2010

Wtf is \b/?
agreed though +1

DingoUnlimited

10-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uccisore View Post
So have I, but again you mis-represent the problem to say it's about what you or I have experienced. This is a problem on LOTS of games, it probably revolves around the fact that Brazilian gamer culture is based on piracy and hacking, and it really has very little to do with your perception, or mine.

Again, you are assuming, with absolutely no evidence, that the BR problem group is a 'small minority', when tons and tons of people are saying the opposite, and they are citing their experience with other games. What reason do you have to believe this?
Yeah I have seen problems in other games like this, and I have seen games ruined because of it. When you start assuming everyone in the group is the same is when you take the down turn towards racism.

Nobody talks about good experiences that they have had with people. Now a days people only post on the forums for 1. Game play or Strategy Help or 2. Hate threads about (insert person, people, or Riot). This type of unhanded screening of the problem makes it seem like there is a super majority of people who mishandle the game.

Here is a scenario: People who play from a certain country are set into two even groups. Group 1 is full of people who abuse the game and are generally bad for the community. Group 2 is full of people who respect the rules and respect others. The only threads about these people are about how group 1 is ruining the game, while those in group 2 are suddenly sucked into this stereotype that just because they are from the same country, they are all bad. Is this fair?

I don't know if there really is a solution to the problem, but without this discussion we will never find one.

If anybody has concrete numbers to show that the vast majority of a group of players is ruining the game, then post them. Otherwise we cant just assume things are the way they are without really looking into it.