AD yi 2,000+ guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kingdo

03-27-2012

Seems like there is a lot of talk about how bad Master Yi is so I'm gonna make a short summary guide.
Before Jabebot was taken down I sat around the 2100+ area ,WHILE playing Master Yi about 50% of my games.
Runes
red: Armor pen
blue: MR/LVL
yellow/quints: Health/lvl

Skill order
R>Q>E>W do NOT get even one point in W, it's ****.

Masterys: 9/21/0 The bottom of the offense tree is **** compared to the bottom of defense.

Starting items: Depends on team makeup! if they're all AD, I get boots/cloth armor/chain mail. If 2 are magic dmg/2AD, I get boots/ruby/MR mantle. Always get mid tower at start!

Items: 100% team makeup dependent. Boots: ninja tabai or Merc treads ONLY! no exceptions. Items I get 100% of time: Atma's impaler (usually 2nd or 3rd), phage . Items I get 80%+ of games but situational: Hexdrinker, Wit's end, Last Whisper.
Items I get about 25-75% of the time: Maw, Black Cleaver (only about 25% of games), Zeke's herald (get this 100% of the time FIRST ITEM if u have someone like a Jax or Vayne on your team), Frozen mallet, MAw of Malmortius (great new item, but spendy).

You are built to take over mid/late game. You're early game is not that great. Early on Q + a few auto attacks kills minion waves, do this often to get gold! Don't be stupid and dive in to a team fight first! A lot of how well you do will depend on knowing what items to build, andwhen. It's good to know which characters have high base armor and armor/lvl (mostly ALL tanky dps, tanks, and melee dps do). The advantage Yi has over other common picks is his SUSTAINED nearly unkiteable late game dmg. If you build everything glass cannon like the other 95% of Yi players, you will lose and say he's a troll pick.

*additional technical details*
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/champi...wuju_bladesman
base stats for yi, note how his base health, health/lvl, armr/lvl, MR/lvl are actually very high. In line with other tanks and tanky dps. Also has the highest base move speed (Tied) in the game.
The reason for most of the item choices are because his: Q>E>R are all steroids. His Q can even be setup off minions for the 7th hit, than when u go to the next fight u start off with an extra attack. It essentially acts like an attack speed buff numerically. So wits end for someone like Yi will be better than most others cause: The AS buff on wits end adds additional dmg cause of his E (relative to someone without an inherrant steroid), and the 42 dmg will get addeditional bonus dmg from attacking more from his passive, and his ultimate. Same goes for item like atma's: crit which is waisted on most toons, boosts the dmg bonus from his E, and EVERY extra attack from passive and ult.

Commander Yordle

03-27-2012

I like how you build Yi as tanky DPS when in reality he is a carry.

inFe eD

03-27-2012

Bump for being awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelBagel View Post
I can say with absolute 100% certainty that you're not in the same elo bracket as the OP.

Commander Yordle

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by inFe eD View Post
Bump for being awesome.

I can say with absolute 100% certainty that you're not in the same elo bracket as the OP.
So high elo = building metagolem on everything? Ok, got it.

Imwetoddid

03-27-2012

Quote:
If you try glass cannon Master Yi, I will pick an assassin every time.

And you will die. A lot.

Commander Yordle

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imwetoddid View Post
If you try glass cannon Master Yi, I will pick an assassin every time.

And you will die. A lot.
If you pick x champ, I will pick y to counter you.

That argument can be applied to every champion

Imwetoddid

03-27-2012

Quote:

You can generalize as much as you want, but glass cannon Yi is still a very niche pick. I don't even have to pick "y" to counter. I can counter glass cannon Yi with half the **** alphabet.

Argodis

03-27-2012

Quote:
I agree with this. But w/e what works for you OP.

I do just fine with glass cannon Yi at "high elo."

inFe eD

03-27-2012

Quote:
No. High elo requires being able to think outside of the box. How many times do you think whoever came up with Tank Kassadin or Ad Malz got called a troll? All the strategies, permabans, item builds that you think are "common sense" came from players who are simply better than you are at thinking.

Quote:

The thing is, this is more of a case of what DOESN'T counterpick Glass Yi. All of the popular heroes, WW Kass Wukong Urgot Rammus, eat Glass Yi alive. If I see Glass Yi on my team I automatically assume every fight will be a man down 5 seconds into the fight. I've yet to be proven wrong, but I'd love to see it happen!

(need a better name for useless yi. Master Glass? Glass Jaw Yi? hmm.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argodis View Post
I agree with this. But w/e what works for you OP.

I do just fine with glass cannon Yi at "high elo."
Do you take QSS on Master Yi against stuff like, say, Rammus or WW? Because if you do, you're already better than 99.99% players in Dominion, and you're not really playing Glass Yi but a smarter variation on him.

Argodis

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by inFe eD View Post
Do you take QSS on Master Yi against stuff like, say, Rammus or WW? Because if you do, you're already better than 99.99% players in Dominion, and you're not really playing Glass Yi but a smarter variation on him.
Yea, QSS is usually a must buy.