What to expect your first three months in LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

turrdfergason

10-30-2012

Hi Everyone,

I started in August and have been playing about 2-3 games per day, There are definitley some things I wish I would have known when I started, and thats why I am writing this thread. This is for new players who are just starting out and might be intimidated by what they read in guides or by other threads in forums.

My goal is to clear up some misconceptions that I was told, while giving advice on how to have the most enjoyable experience possible while playing.

Warning: This will be a long thread; I made sub sections in bold

I would like to first say that I am by no means a pro at this game, and I will not attempt to explain strategies or give advice on becoming more skilled as there are many others who can do this better than I can.

I can however, give you insight on what to expect from low level play, Realistic expectations on your progress, and ways to combat most of the cancerous attitudes of the community.

So lets get started!

5 things to expect when you first begin
1. you will not be any good, you will most likely get destroyed your first couple games.
Do not fear! Unless you come from DOTA 2 the concept of MOBA will be foreign to you, if you jump straight into normal blinds it is almost 100% gaurantee you will get flamed and probably not have an enjoyable experience. I strongly recommmend sticking with bot games until you get comfortable with the eb and flow of the game. Once you find yourself able to predict what the bots will do, try switching to pvp. Dont be afraid to make the switch, If you understand the basics of the game you will catch on fairly quick.

2.Expect People to rage at you
This is perhaps the most inevitable, unenjoyable part of the game. Put your big boy pants on, because this WILL ABSOLUTELY 100% happen to you. You will mess up, and someone will start flaming because its just what they do. When this happens I suggest you immediately hit the mute button on him. The sooner you do this the better your experience will be. Whatever you do, Dont not say anything back..ever This is where the downward spiral for most new players begins. Someone attacks them and they attack back. Its like the Sith, If you give into the dark side, you will become those who were once your enemy. Stay Positive and be determined to learn from your mistakes, but do not rage on anyone or reply to anyones anger.

3. Forget the Meta you read about.
I know you have read all the guides about jungle, counter jungle, team roles, wards, etc. Take it and put it in the back of your head for about 2 months. This will be a learning grind. Put simply, At this level winning is about knowing the champion you play like the back of your hand. If you know your champion you will greatly increase your chances of dominating. Dont get mad if you have 4 carries on your team, or if you dont have a jungler or support. 95% of new players just DL the game and hop in, as they should. Just dont get mad because you took the time to read forums and guides.

4. You dont have to play starter champions
This is more of an opinion, but I dont think that you should start out playing the so called "Starter" Champs. While they provide a great way to ease you into the game, I believe it can hamper your early growth. My first champion I bought was Lee Sin, considered to be one of the hardest skill cap champs in the game. Honestly I sucked with him at first....sucked badly. But I was determined to learn him, After about a week I became almost invincible at low level play because no one new how to counter him. After I felt very comfortable playing Lee, and alittle bit bored with him. I moved on to another champ. At this point everyone else felt EZ to play because I started with a harder champ. Again this is Just my opinion but it really helped me.

5. Its Time to BUY RP!!!
I battled this for nearly 3 months. I was determined to keep this game free and not spend money on it. However I caved in, not out of desire, but necessity. The truth is if you want to succeed in this game you will inevitably have to spend money. IMO I believe the game is worth spending money on, but you may or may not. Here is what I will tell you about RP and IP before you run out and blow your wallet on some 20$ skins.

YOU WILL NEED RUNE PAGES! but mainly for ranked its unfortunate that 1 additional page is so expensive, but this is one area that will completely change you game. The more the better. However you should plan on getting atleast 3-4. I wouldnt invest in these until I was in my 20's because you cant get T3 runes (the ones you need) and you will have enough Rune slots to actually make a difference.

Buy champs on sale!
I know that money is not an object for some people, and if this is the case then skip this section. However for those of us that dont want to spend hundreds( yes, this is common to spend hundred on this game) Then I would advise to only buy champions on sale.

Buying a champ the week it comes out is fine, but for pure gameplay purposes it is a risky purchase. You never know where these champs will end up, they tend to get multiple nerfs or buffs in the first month or two. Stay away until they have settled in, that way you can tell if they will be a good fit in your Roster.

Your IP is your lifeline!
This is where I really screwed up, I saved 6300 IP for my first champ and bought Lee Sin because I was hell bent on having him. Now that I am level 25 I cant tell you how much I would love that IP back to either fill out my roster, In order to have a decent chance in draft picks, or to buy more Runes which are becoming more crucial to successful gameplay. There are alot of great champs that are 1350IP. For 6300 champs I recommend spending RP or else you can set yourself back in preparing for ranked.

Skins
Skins are great, but they have no effect on game play and the coolness wears off after a while. A great Idea is to find a champ you really enjoy first. I cant tell you how many skins I have bought only to never use that champ again because I didnt care for him.

Ok that is all for this thread for now. I will continue adding things as requested, and If I feel like it. Feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer them as best as possible. Remember Im not strategy expert. But I enjoy this game and am an avid student of it. I think that since I dont have 1000 games of ranked I can relate to newer players more than some seasoned vets.

Thanks and remember to comment and upvote if you like!!!!

Rhisis S1ayer

10-30-2012

Great overall protrait, allthough I find the money spending part false. For people playing more casually, it's easy to just hop on, once a day, and play a co-op vs AI to try out new champs and farm a lil IP (150 IP Win of the day) it helps you get experience on various champs you might consider buying afterwards as well as general gameplay experience/flexibility. Once you feel more confident you can go to normals but in no means is it necesseray to buy RP to be succesful in the game. It just takes more patience, which, if you're a casual gamer, most likely have.

turrdfergason

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhisis S1ayer View Post
Great overall protrait, allthough I find the money spending part false. For people playing more casually, it's easy to just hop on, once a day, and play a co-op vs AI to try out new champs and farm a lil IP (150 IP Win of the day) it helps you get experience on various champs you might consider buying afterwards as well as general gameplay experience/flexibility. Once you feel more confident you can go to normals but in no means is it necesseray to buy RP to be succesful in the game. It just takes more patience, which, if you're a casual gamer, most likely have.

Thanks for your insight,

yes casual gamers will not have to buy RP. If you are a casual gamer then you will probably enjoy the free champ rotation and be fine with that. If you intend on getting into ranked eventually however, You will need Rune pages or you will be at a considerably disadvantage. This is mute if you only play one game per day though, because It will take almost a year to get to level 30.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrdfergason View Post
Thanks for your insight,

yes casual gamers will not have to buy RP. If you are a casual gamer then you will probably enjoy the free champ rotation and be fine with that. If you intend on getting into ranked eventually however, You will need Rune pages or you will be at a considerably disadvantage. This is mute if you only play one game per day though, because It will take almost a year to get to level 30.
It works regardless of whether or not you intend to play ranked. If you're planning on playing ranked you're going to be playing a hell of a lot unless you're playing ranked just for the thrill of it (which is silly).

Having a champion does not mean you'll be able to do well with them, nor does having a rune page set up mean you'll know when you want to use that rune page. All of this comes with experience, and this experience only comes from playing games.

Bottes Phoque

10-30-2012

Good post.

As for you regretting buying Lee Sin, you know you have 3 refunds available right?

AJStarhiker

10-30-2012

One thing I've discovered in Draft/ranked, the more champions you own, the easier it is to run trades. I have champions I've bought and rarely use, but I wouldn't do the refund because of the draft trade potential.

Kaalika

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJStarhiker View Post
One thing I've discovered in Draft/ranked, the more champions you own, the easier it is to run trades. I have champions I've bought and rarely use, but I wouldn't do the refund because of the draft trade potential.
That's a very good point.

turrdfergason

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCxChopSuey View Post
Good post.

As for you regretting buying Lee Sin, you know you have 3 refunds available right?
Yes I know I can Refund, I actually love Lee Sin and I have Runes for him to excel in the jungle. What I meant was if I started over again I wouldnt have purchased him so early.

turrdfergason

10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJStarhiker View Post
Great Point