WCG Grand Finals Coverage = Epic Failure

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

B33R

10-03-2010

1. Horrible video quality
a. could not make out the names of the players
b. could not make out the item builds (0/0 score covered up player panes in game 1)
c. could not make out the scoreboard text

2. Most of game 2 had no sound due to incompetence

3. No official Repeat play for those that were unable to tune in (come on, this is like web presence 101, no one thought about this in the meetings moving up to this event???)

4. Bans/Picks where not covered on the official site by Riot employees as they were during the Group Rounds

Conclusion: Someone should be fired over this, most of this could have been avoided by having just continued to use the Ownd3d video stream and attaching a mic so that Phreak could do commentary without having to involve any other "professionals". The Grand Finals ended up being a complete failure from the stand point of the viewing audience over the web and need not be repeated next year, one only hopes Riot will learn from their mistakes and do what they can to avoid making the same ones in the future. However in regards to this event although the build up was great there was a huge let down at the end because Riot could not execute such a simple task as it had done during the Group Rounds.

Dominationz

10-03-2010

Lol video quality was on purpose to force u to pay for better quality.

TheTeamsNoob

10-03-2010

Better quality? That **** was pretty much the same as non payer streams.

Ebonclaw

10-03-2010

Wow. I just dug up a capture on YouTube, out of curiosity.

I don't know what thought process went into streaming this video out, but even at 480p everything is just this messy blur.

Weak. Riot, I am disappoint.

B33R

10-03-2010

WCG & Riot had a partnership for this event they should both be held equally responsible for it's failure. What I do not understand is how did the WCG North American Finals between Dann's team and CLG have better coverage than the World Grand Finals?

For those of you that have forgotten:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9507051

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9508719

MDMAmazing

10-03-2010

I dont either B33R, the North American Finals we're covered a lot better - and I was able to watch them AFTER they actually took place.

Now I find myself in a position, where I really want to see the Final 3 Games, but just dont seem to find a proper, decent quality, sound containing stream. In fact the only streams I find are on youtube and some weird server - both not worth being played on a 24" screen.

I actually didn't want to know the results, but rather see the games myself - but now it took so long that I almost know every detail of the matche without even watching them - will be utterly boring to watch them now so...I guess I just leave it and play another round myself...

Dunno who to blame, either Riot or WCG, probably both but yes, epic fail.

Vodoolol

10-03-2010

Riot has no impact about the WCG stream quality, no need to blame them for it. WCG decided this year to make money with the stream, so they did everything to get as much money as possible.

We did everything we could to help Riot covering the pre finals games, only thing we couldnt arrange in the short time was a commentator. But maybe we'll see some nice recommentarys.

1 Bar Clutch

10-03-2010

This was WCG's fault, Riot had no hand in how the WCG Grand Finals would be handled.

I'm tired of everyone blaming Riot for EVERYTHING....

MattMarcou

eSports Manager

Follow RiotMarcou on Twitter

10-08-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Hey guys,

We're aware of some of the problems associated with the WCG video stream. The problems were not consistent across all users, which means that there may have been some bad segments of the provider's network.

We will be working closers with the WCG in the future to ensure that the coverage of the 1st match is just as amazing as the last.

~Matt Marcou

Sindae

10-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMarcou View Post
Hey guys,

We're aware of some of the problems associated with the WCG video stream. The problems were not consistent across all users, which means that there may have been some bad segments of the provider's network.

We will be working closers with the WCG in the future to ensure that the coverage of the 1st match is just as amazing as the last.

~Matt Marcou
What now? So some people magically had a high quality stream while the rest of us were stuck staring at a colorful blur? Some people are able to get official replays (that have functioning sound in game 2 no less) as well?

Did you actually try watching the live streams? I realize the WCG was running it, not Riot, but they were godawful and saying it didn't apply to everyone is just ridiculous.

Hell, even Phreak in his commentary mentioned how blurry it was.