Did You Find This Thread Helpful?

I'm new to 3v3 and found this useful! 4 40.00%
I'm a TT veteran, but this will serve handy! 4 40.00%
I'm new to 3v3 and I'm a little lost. 1 10.00%
This guide served a useless purpose. 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

[Guide] The Twisted Treeline BETA

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quianmore

10-29-2012

Last Updated Oct. 29th, 2012

Welcome Summoners!
My name is Tanner (Summoner name as forum displayed, 'Quianmore.') and I am a long time League of Legends enthusiast, devoting more time than money into helping summoners who are always looking to improve their skills. By no means do I declare myself a professional player; however, being a member since the game's release almost 3 years ago, has served valuable to my intellect in respect to the game's information and style.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: All information shared in this article is a collected opinion; meaning, I've had several summoners share their personal thoughts about certain topics that will be discussed, as well as my own, and have incorporated everything into an overall, "fact" or, "suggested statement." Read as you wish and take from it what you will!

Getting Started:
A familiar question brought about on the forums and in-game happens to be, "Which map do you prefer?" The solid reality is, more players play a certain game type due to the map style, versus how many summoners are actually taking part in the match. (I.E. 3v3 or 5v5) Some summoners may prefer a wider range of availability, or a stronger ganking aspect. Perhaps, some enjoy higher level thinking or easier stratagems. I've met folks who have played a 3v3 round maybe 10 times in their League career! Same goes with 5's. I have only recently, (Within the past year) allowed myself to become a participant of both game-types equally, while still excluding the Crystal Scar unfortunately. (Dominion isn't my forte'.)

The Twisted Treeline:
"What does the Twisted Treeline have to offer that Summoner's Rift does not? There's so much more to do in a 5v5 match!" Yes, I've heard it a million times. However, with the revamp of the map, this is no longer entirely true. The Twisted Treeline, with it's new jungle route, removal of top jungle, and replacement of dragon, offers an entirely new gaming experience with some new additional features as well.

Some of the new features included in the Twisted Treeline BETA include;
  • Exclusive items available only in 3v3.
  • Removal of higher-powered items. (I.E. Bloodthirster, Rabbadon's Deathcap, etc.)
  • More balanced game-play.
  • An altar system which provides team-wide bonuses and perks.
  • Brand new jungle route.
  • A boost pad in the middle of the map.
  • More jungle and lane swap encounters.
  • A quicker 3v3 match to fit more games into your day.
  • Vilemaw

Character Selection:
As far as selecting an efficient character for usage on the Twisted Treeline, nothing has truly changed. As far as I and a few other summoners are concerned, the list for viable champions may have expanded minimally with the addition of altars and the boost pad.

Some characters, while still plausible, we would suggest against;
  • Anivia: Stacks heavier AP dps output late game.
  • Cassiopeia: Ability to deploy useful CC in 3's is minimal; small lanes.
  • Corki: Low basic AD, long build time.
  • Evelynn: Squishy early game. Uses longer lanes to chase and kill.
  • Galio: Not often see in 3's. Difficult to build if not acquiring kills in a short time.
  • Janna: Support Janna we suggest against. AP offensive Janna is more viable.
  • Karthus: Depends on the summoners skill level.
  • Orianna: Known for heavy AP output late game, 3's often do not last long enough.
  • Soraka: Very squishy and support like. Builds more efficiently in 5's.

As we said, it is completely possible to pull off a game with any of the above champions, should circumstances fall in your favor. Perhaps you're just really good. Keep in mind, this is a guide, which is being written for lesser experienced!

Building Your Characters:
Establishing a champion in a 3v3 match feels more simplistic and accessible with the multiple spawn camps in the jungle and addition of altars with a gold bonus. Starting gold was also increased from 475g. A 2 item purchase can now initiate your game, taking points in movement and damage, or perhaps health, simply depending on your role. Gold is earned more quickly, and is shared throughout the team more often, allowing you to stack your character, if you're lucky, by the 30 minute mark! It's quick, to the point, and much more fun to toggle new champion build types!

Some of you may be concerned with the removal of items, but have no fear! It was merely to help balance game-play and level out the playing field with some champions that may perhaps have a higher starting ap/ad, or health amount as it stands to begin a round, giving each summoner a fair opportunity to fight! Items like Bloodthirster and Deathcap were replaced with items of similar values in terms of effects, just with lower costs and lower outputs. All in all, everything seems to be in working order with the new item implements!

Lane Types / Ganking:
One of the most important things to acknowledge is the change in laning. The typical, "1 top, 2 bottom" META no longer seems prominent in most 3v3 TT BETA matches any longer. With the availability of altars every 90 seconds, teams are constantly leaving their lanes and engaging with enemies in the jungle. Teams communicating externally seem to have better outcomes in the treeline simply due to this. Cooperation, acknowledge and acceptance of any given situation at any time, and fluent transitions will take a team to victory in 3's, because it all happens so early game. Once enough kills are earned, brute force carries a team (Most often) to victory. Don't let your team fall short!

The Altar System:
For those who are unaware, there are two altars now placed in the Twisted Treeline, one on the east, the other on the west. (Located within the jungle in front of each team's respective base wall.) Capture occurs more quickly for each teammate you have on the pad.

Capture 1 - Earn 4 additional gold per kill.
Capture 2 - Gain an extra 10% AD and AP.

After an altar is captured and locked, it will serve as a ward and a perk for 90 seconds before unlocking and becoming vulnerable to any enemy capture. Teams may not re-lock/re-capture an altar until after an enemy has captured and held the altar for 90 seconds. An altar will still serve as a ward after unlocking.

Due to my current condition, being located on the Eastern Coast of the United States with Hurricane Sandy currently afflicting our community and power, this guide will be updated and finished at a later date. If you have any suggestions or recommendations for topic heads, please feel free to post! I expect to add more than what you see below! Thanks!

The Boost Pad:

Identifying New Strategies:

Keep In Mind:

P.S. Please do me the kindest favor! Should you find any silly mistakes or would like to argue about something you read over, please post it in a friendly manner, and we will be more than happy to address the issue! Any trolling or thread abuse will be ignored! ^-^

69larry69

01-03-2013

i think u have a great start here, but lots could be added! +1 tho

Nerdsinc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2013

Evelyn is a one of the best AP's in threes IMHO. Her pre-6 may be slightly weak but the moment she hits 6 she becomes a team-fight machine. Provided you have 2 good bruisers backing you up, Eve is a very viable champ in threes.

MauxFire

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2013

Disagree with suggesting eve, cass, oriana or soraka is not strong in 3s. With a fair amount of practice and with appropriate teamates they completely wreck in threes. And soraka is actually a rather powerful champ if played ap.

Great start to a guide. There is a wealth of information that needs to be included in a comprehensive beginners 3s guide. A few things to think about:
- Champion selection and balancing teams
- Level one team fight, should you or shouldn't you
- How important map awareness is during the laning phase. You should not have to rely on mias, as if the enemy team has a jungler there will always constantly be at least one mia at a all times.
- How jungling works and what champions are viable in the jungle and why.
- The importance of alter control. Either making sure you hold one if you are playing a slow game so you do not miss out of farm, or taking the enemies and controling it as much as possible if you are playing agressively.
- Team fights how to. Baiting fights at alter or vilemaw. Bush camping. Ganking.
- Objective capturing/destroying. Towers, inhibs, vilemaw, alters.
- Tower vs alter, when to go for which.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Kudos to writing this much though. It's nice to see people beginning to take 3s seriously enough to write guides. Also Anders' site is a great source of info, you should check it out.

http://cndgamingdotcom.wordpress.com/

MauxFire

01-05-2013

bump