How/to for players seeking to get better

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Call Me Akhbar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-29-2012

A friend of mine 1900~ elo is streaming and giving advice who abide by the motto "Ignore women acquire ELO", or simply to people who want to watch someone stream and learn from them. He'll be giving tips throughout the stream and helping viewers if they want to ask anything.

http://www.twitch.tv/wiyball

Plays: AD/Support mostly.

Kaalika

10-29-2012

Ignore women? Not watching that one then. Don't like being ignored. :P

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

10-29-2012

Think I have to agree. Whether or not it was intended that way, it sounds a bit bigoted to me. This perception that women can't be gamers is something we need less of, not more. (You may not have said that directly, but implying you need to stay away from women is saying that only men can be 'pro gamers.')

Copernicus IV

10-29-2012

Everything seems about right in here. Person makes a joke, and is called a bigot. Kudos.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

10-29-2012

You think I didn't realize it was probably intended as a joke? My point was that it wasn't really funny, but that regardless of how funny he thought it was, it doesn't really come across well.

/lesigh

Copernicus IV

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
You think I didn't realize it was probably intended as a joke? My point was that it wasn't really funny, but that regardless of how funny he thought it was, it doesn't really come across well.

/lesigh
So, you're admitting you probably knew it was a joke, but still decided that you should call him a bigot? Bigotry is not to be taken lightly, unlike a joke. His joke doesn't really hurt anyone, even the female in the thread knew it was a joke, hence the ":P" at the end of her sentence.

I know women have all the rights men have, and that's why I was able to laugh at a joke.

LordAvan

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaalika View Post
Ignore women? Not watching that one then. Don't like being ignored. :P
Someone just got burned!

Best comeback I've ever seen online ;X

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicus IV View Post
So, you're admitting you probably knew it was a joke, but still decided that you should call him a bigot? Bigotry is not to be taken lightly, unlike a joke. His joke doesn't really hurt anyone, even the female in the thread knew it was a joke, hence the ":P" at the end of her sentence.

I know women have all the rights men have, and that's why I was able to laugh at a joke.
I said that it comes off a bit bigoted, not that he...

You know what never mind. You're right. I'm putting words in someone else's mouth because... oh wait that wasn't me...

Oddible

10-30-2012

Jokes, no matter how innocuous they seem, contribute to the problem. We use this social theory in marketing all the time, get people to say something that is uncomfortable, and it gets less uncomfortable. This theory has been used for good, for instance, breaking down the stigma of saying or buying condoms and thereby lowering STD infections. It can also be used to make it easier to say more problematic things, things we don't want to be in our enlightened culture. So saying "It was a joke" is BS if you have more than a 10th grade concept of social theory. But I understand that some in the LoL audience may be younger, so I'm not being critical, just hopefully educating.

-- Oddible

Copernicus IV

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
I said that it comes off a bit bigoted, not that he...

You know what never mind. You're right. I'm putting words in someone else's mouth because... oh wait that wasn't me...
You're completely right, there is a huge difference between calling something someone said a bit bigoted and calling someone a bigot. That's like if I said something racist, and you said that sounds a bit racist.. but you're not calling me a racist. I guess it might just be me, but that doesn't really make much sense.

Either way, I'm done with the conversation. I'm obviously an idiot, who hasn't gone past grade ten, and I just put words in people's mouths. My bad, I guess. It's not like I was just trying to point out you shouldn't throw words around like they don't matter. Wait, that's what you're trying to say too, isn't it? Weird how that works...