Support player with a problem.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ram Trainer

10-29-2012

Im a support player but am having trouble joining a team. I am a very dedicated and skilled player (imo) but because its very hard to carry by being a support, my elo does not go very high. So therefor no teams even consider me an option. What could I do to solve this problem.

DZipMe

10-29-2012

Get a higher ELO, or make a team yourself and invite player

Ram Trainer

10-29-2012

The problem is its hard to do that when the role you main cant carry if your team falls behind.

Amatzikahni

10-29-2012

I've helped many ADC's get out of nearly impossible scenarios, and I've also secured kills that wouldn't have otherwise been possible without proper cooldown usage or if my AD went in alone. Likewise, I ward properly, call for retreats whenever I see the jungler anywhere on the minimap, make calls on what to do midgame/lategame, etc. There's a lot of ways you can carry as a support; if all you're doing is babysitting your ADC, then you're not playing a very good support. My preferred support is Janna because she has crazy CC and ways to escape/reset impossible fights, but more organized teams will want more specific supports for their own reasons. At lower Elo, it doesn't matter which support you pick because your team probably can't capitalize on different supports' strengths.

Selcopa

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4MR0D View Post
Im a support player but am having trouble joining a team. I am a very dedicated and skilled player (imo) but because its very hard to carry by being a support, my elo does not go very high. So therefor no teams even consider me an option. What could I do to solve this problem.
Hi there, there's a few things we need to go over first.

To start off, Im not sure if you have an alternate account, but you are very new to the ranked scene, and it appears that you started off doing very well with some elo heaven, and now it appears to normalizing a bit. This happens, its not a big deal, but you are probably going to have to recognize that you arent as skilled as you originally thought you were.

Now, the first thing is that it is true that in the support role, a higher different in skill does not translate to as quickly of influence as other roles like top or mid. It's not that you cant carry yourself to high elos with support(I primarily was support from 1300 all the way to upper 1900s), but rather, it simply is going to take more games for your individual skill to shine out.

Again, it isnt that its harder to carry, both a 1500 mid and a 1500 support are going to hover around 1500, however a 1500 mid might get there quicker when they go below 1500, however they will also fall back to 1500 when they orbit above that number. Where as a support might take a little longer to realize their elo, however when they orbit a little higher, they tend to stay in a higher artificial orbit a little longer.

Rather than focusing on a specific elo number(although its good to have goals), you should instead simply focus on improving, playing other roles like ADC,Jungle Mid and even Top will improve your ability to support and recognize situations, on top of that, its very valuable to understand different champions/roles strengths and weaknesses in different stages of the game, in order to maximize your effectiveness when you play support.

Its also important that there is an enemy player playing a role with an equal amount of influence as you, even though supports tend to be less influential compared to solo roles, you have to remember that both teams have that role, so you need to learn how to obtain an edge over the opponents role. Going over replays is one of the most effective ways of doing this, it allows you to see your opponents movements, you can focus on your mechanical skills and you can spot things you could have done differently, opportunities missed, either in lane or at a different lane, maybe notice you could have bought differently. All of these things are going to help improve your game, and as a result your elo is going to move up.

Finally with trying to get a team, my person opinion is that the level of play that has enough average skill that you can start interacting with team play is when everyone is over 1500. Some people disagree with me, based on definitions and goals of your team, this includes myself, as nowadays I wouldnt be interested in a team unless they were all over 2k elo(keep in mind im currently under 1900 again, so yes, I would not be interested in playing on a team that I was on)

Regardless getting to around 1500(maybe even 1400) is a great place to start to show that everyone has a basic understand of game play, and allows you to be able to execute team plays, once you do that, its just a matter of finding people you like playing with, one of the most effective ways of doing this is simply requesting tryouts with anyone who will take you. If you can on a team great, even if you know that team isnt what you are looking for, it will help improve your team skill, and maybe there is 1 other player on the team that is on the same wavelength as you, hop around to a few different teams, getting some experience along the way, somebody might remember you and invite you to their team, or you can form your own team once you got the guys all looking for what you are looking for.