Jungling Help!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Cheeese

10-29-2012

To make short stories short, I simply cannot jungle well. I know when certain buffs, dragon/baron, wraiths, and etc spawn but the concept of ganking, counter-jungling, and jungle presence are my weaknesses.

Any advice? Tips or tricks?

Please let me know! My jungling skills are not up to par, and I appreciate any insight you give me.

P.S. I have tried all of the jungling champions, and I know their basic mechanics. I have a general concept regarding itemization. Still, getting the right items are slightly difficult.

Number1Stunna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-29-2012

There are web sites that are designed to help you with this. I personally like this site:
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/browse
(search your favorite jungle champ and find a build that says "Jungle" in the title)

Some champs can gank at level 2 and should (lee sin, shyvana, shaco, exc.) and some do better at level 4 or so (nautalus, maokai, exc.)

The trick is if you have a gap closing ability, you need a point in it for a gank, and if you have crowd control ability, you need a point in that as well. If you can get all that at level 2 and rush top for a gank, go for it. Chances are it will not be warded until the top laner has shopped for the first time. After that it is all timing and working with your allies in lane. Keep farming until you are near a lane that the enemy has pushed. (has moved the minion wave to your allies turret) This means once you start a gank, they will have to travel a ways to get under the safety of the turret. Always ping your target to make sure your ally knows that they need to move in with you. (press G and click on target enemy)

Learn from your mistakes, and remember what works, and you will be just fine.

The Cheeese

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1Stunna View Post
There are web sites that are designed to help you with this. I personally like this site:
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/browse
(search your favorite jungle champ and find a build that says "Jungle" in the title)

Some champs can gank at level 2 and should (lee sin, shyvana, shaco, exc.) and some do better at level 4 or so (nautalus, maokai, exc.)

The trick is if you have a gap closing ability, you need a point in it for a gank, and if you have crowd control ability, you need a point in that as well. If you can get all that at level 2 and rush top for a gank, go for it. Chances are it will not be warded until the top laner has shopped for the first time. After that it is all timing and working with your allies in lane. Keep farming until you are near a lane that the enemy has pushed. (has moved the minion wave to your allies turret) This means once you start a gank, they will have to travel a ways to get under the safety of the turret. Always ping your target to make sure your ally knows that they need to move in with you. (press G and click on target enemy)

Learn from your mistakes, and remember what works, and you will be just fine.
First of all, thank you sooooo much for responding. I understand that concept, but I don't understand one thing. When do you start leaving your buffs and counter-jungle? I know you should give blue and red to your carries (except early game due to experience). At what point do I ward their jungle? Secondly, how do I successfully gank lanes when all of my lanes such as top, mid, and bot require jungle presence constantly?

Number1Stunna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-29-2012

If you choose to counter jungle, first you need to know who you are up against and their most common jungle path (just comes with experience) If they need to start at blue (maokai, amumu, fiddle. exc.), ward red right at the begining of the match. And meet them there about the same time you would go to red if you started at blue. And you can't be everywhere at once. If your ally is pushing the lane, then there is nothing you can do for them. Look to the other lanes at that point, if non of the lanes are gankable, get back to farming so you don't fall behind. Always look for a good time to gank and you will get chances. Sometimes your team will call for them too, and if you are in the area you should go for it.

CounterSnipe

10-29-2012

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=4307
*Don't use Mobafire.

Invisibleally

10-29-2012

In my experience usually it's good to start cloth armor+potions. If you're playing someone that is a bit more fragile early game (I like Urgot jungle but it's tough early) just a ton of extra potions.

At the beginning of the game I think most junglers benefit more from Blue buff than Red, and starting out is the best time to get a leash from your comrades. Of course routes all depend on your preference and what you can safely handle. Paranoia is necessary when you cannot see where your enemies are, but buying a ward or two can help you to avoid sneak attacks.

Reading guides doesn't hurt, either. I recommend league wiki for any extra info.

The Cheeese

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1Stunna View Post
If you choose to counter jungle, first you need to know who you are up against and their most common jungle path (just comes with experience) If they need to start at blue (maokai, amumu, fiddle. exc.), ward red right at the begining of the match. And meet them there about the same time you would go to red if you started at blue. And you can't be everywhere at once. If your ally is pushing the lane, then there is nothing you can do for them. Look to the other lanes at that point, if non of the lanes are gankable, get back to farming so you don't fall behind. Always look for a good time to gank and you will get chances. Sometimes your team will call for them too, and if you are in the area you should go for it.
This is extremely helpful, but what do you mean by "meet them there about the same time you would go to red if you started at blue".?

Number1Stunna

10-30-2012

Well if you where just jungleing your camps and no invading (like you assume your enemy is doing) how long would it take you to get from blue, wolf camp, wraiths, golems, then Red? Chances are their time is not too far off. Most cautious junglers will follow that path because their smite will be up again for red. They used it to get blue and they need to work through all the camps to fill the gap of that cool down. That is not true for agressive junglers, but those arn't the ones you can easily predict and gank anyway.

I would say, kill your wolf camp before blue even spawns (your team helping you damage them would be nice), get blue with a leash (mid poking it so it walks around instead of damaging you), then set up for a gank at red. When they finish killing the golem camp and head over to red is when they are the weakest in my experience. The golem camp is the hardest camp to kill, and their smite is still on cooldown from blue, or they are saving it for red. I would say wait in the bush and let them take as much damage from red as possible before you strike. I like to smite steal their red away from them so I can use it to secure the kill on them. smite deals true damage so keep a close eye on reds health so you can out smite your enemy.

turrdfergason

10-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheeese View Post
First of all, thank you sooooo much for responding. I understand that concept, but I don't understand one thing. When do you start leaving your buffs and counter-jungle? I know you should give blue and red to your carries (except early game due to experience). At what point do I ward their jungle? Secondly, how do I successfully gank lanes when all of my lanes such as top, mid, and bot require jungle presence constantly?

Counter Jungle is not a hard line strategy. You have to be aware of who you can see on the map. You want wards up for vision as well. Counter Jungle can set you back hard if you fail, so understand the risks.

What I would recommend is to try and gank, If you try 2 or 3 times and fail/ no opportunity. Dip into his jungle hit a camp, then dip out quickly. make sure you have your jungle warded and no buffs are coming because you might get stolen.

beermanfu

10-30-2012

I'm new, but I've been doing ok jungling with nunu, so here's some newbie tips from a newbie.

Get a Rythm going, that's the way I've managed. I'll typically go big camp, check for gank. Wolves->wraith's-> check for gank, or wraiths->wolves-> check for gank.

I take out the double golems the least of all the camps, spend most time on wolves and wraith's as their central, easier to get elsewhere on the map, the rest of the time, I'm trying to ward the river and counter ward with oracles.

Ganking:

After every couple of camps, such as wolves/wraiths, do a quick check of the lanes, check health levels and position, if the enemy is pushing your laner back to tower, he could use some help. Don't go in with the mindset of trying to get a kill, just sneak in, use your initiation, do a bit of damage and back out. Just a small bit of pressure really helps a struggling lane. If you can get a kill, go for it, but only if you think you can nail it. Nothing is worse than giving the enemy laner a double kill cause you and/or your laner botched it.

Counter Ganking/Jungling.

Ward's really help, make that a part of your game plan to improve. Anyway, when you see the enemy jungler showing up on a lane, you should either get to that lane quickly to counter-gank if you're nearby and able to do so, or, take the opportunity to counter jungle if you won't make it in time.

For instance, you're on wraith's, blue team, enemy jungler pop's up topside and ganks your top lane, you know you won't get there in time to do anything useful but hold the lane once your laner b's or dies, well, this would be a decent time to pop into the enemy's jungle and drop a ward or two and maybe steal some camps. Ward their blue buff and steal their big wolf, then get out quick. Hell if it's around 7 minutes into game, you could steal their blue.

Though, you really don't want to try that unless you have a jungler that can take camps down pretty fast. Nunu essentially has a double smite, so he can steal camps fast like that.

"how do I successfully gank lanes when all of my lanes such as top, mid, and bot require jungle presence constantly?"

- Um? That happens. Be ready to hit the mute button when you're team blames you cause none of them can handle themselves at all. Just keep doing your job, pick a lane, gank, pick another lane, gank. If your forced into lanes constantly to the point where you're getting no farm, I would start taking some of their cs and be prepared to ward your own jungle thoroughly, if all the lanes are failing your presence isn't going to be enough to turn it around. You can gank one successfully and the other two will fall. Your team mates are going to need to take some responsibility for this, you can't be everywhere at once. Prepare for the eventuality that your outer towers are going to drop by warding your own jungle and do your best to help out the team. Not a whole lot else you can do.