[Champion Concept] Fenris, the Sword Saint

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CampinScrub

10-29-2012

Race: Human
Lane Role: Bruiser

Hey guys! This is my first shot at a champion concept and I wanted to post it here for prosperity lol. I've only just come up with the concept and skills so once I figure out all the stats and such I will edit them in along with concept art that I'm currently in the process of creating. Since I'm not too good with numbers I'd appreciate any help with the stats and all that.

Fenris is a champion I thought of after playing a few games with Fiora and Riven. My idea was to combine Fiora's focus on attack speed with the combo system that Riven employees with her skills to create a champion that focuses on cutting the enemy down as quickly as possible without regard for himself. By this I mean that I, so far, have decided to not give him an escape tool in the traditional sense. He needs to fully commit to his target and cut him down. In this way he is similar to Fiora who also has to commit fully to an engagement. Now let me get his skills.

Abilities

Passive:Skill Connect
Allows Fenris to chain his abilities by canceling the animation near the end of the skill to activate the next ability. My idea for this came from playing champs who are locked into an animation when casting an ability. The way I imagine this to work is while you are fighting in top lane you can execute your skills in quicker succession than your enemy. I think once I get into his ultimate it'll make more sense.

Q: Flicker Slash
Fenris dashes forward at extremely high speed and slashes his target dealing 60 damage (I've only worked out the base numbers). This ability allows Fenris to chase his enemy to begin an engagement. I've toyed with the idea of allowing Fenris to use this as an escape tool as well. I'm still not sure how I want to handle it (as I've said I've only just come up with the concept for Fenris).

W: Lambent Light
Passive: Increases Fenris' armor and and magic resist by 25.
Active: Releases and explosion of light in the are immediately around Fenris. Enemies around him are also knocked back. I wanted an ability to up Fenris' defenses for prolonged engagements. In the case where he cannot use his Flicker Flash to escape (still haven't decided yet) This would allow him to survive in team fights and other sticky situations. I've changed the ability to allow Lambent Light to have a more active role in Fenris' kit. Now the bonus to his defenses is static but he gains and aoe knock back that deals magic damage and allows him to quickly chain into his flicker slash and then Starry Cross. I'm thinking that the knock back should only happen to enemies in front of him though.

E: Starry Cross
Fenris lashes out against his enemy in a series of sword slashes.This, obviously, is borrowed from Riven's Broken Wings. Each attack would deal the same damage though the base damage would be lower than Riven's to compensate for the fact that he can activate it 1 more time than Riven can activate Broken Wings and for the fact that his passive would allow him to chain his other abilities in quicker succession.

R: Dual Blades
Fenris summons a second sword, gaining bonus attack damage and attack speed over time. Activating Dual Blades costs no mana initially but will drain Fenris' mana quickly over time. The longer he uses his Dual Blades the more mana is consumed. The attack damage and speed bonuses will cap at a certain point. This is Fenris' ultimate obviously. This is what makes him a great single target fighter. Activating this would allow you to put pressure on your opponent very quickly.

Now I have decided that giving Fenris low base mana is ideal. This way he would need to build mana in order to abuse his ultimate. Normally Fenris players would have to choose between conserving their mana by not using their abilities in preparation for ganks from their jungler in order to activate Dual Blades and use his abilities or decide to whittle them down with his ultimate and finish the enemy off with his skills. This automatically makes Frozen Heart a perfect item for him. The extra mana along with the armor boost and AS debuff makes him very scary to fight against 1v1. I've always thought to make Fenris lean more towards DPS than raw damage which is why I decided on his role as a Bruiser. He can build a defensive item like Frozen Heart and Merc Treads and still buying attack items to increase his DPS.

.....I feel I've made him a tad OP lol. As I've said this is what would amount to the Alpha stage of his conception. I'd love to work with you guys to tweak him as I feel this is a job that would be made easier by having smarter people than I working alongside me. What do you guys think so far?

Oh here are some quotes from his taunt and walking animations.
Joke: *Pulls out 2 extra swords and juggles all three. He screws up and 2 blades land near him while the last one right in front of him, almost going through him* "Well that was close."
Taunt: "If it's like this you'll be gone in a flash." *slashes diagonally*

Walking:
Let's go.
Break's over.
Alright, alright. Stop clicking so much.
I've never heard a sadder laugh. (ties into lore)
My sword's getting impatient.

ShieldandCann0n

10-29-2012

Not bad. The Q should target one thing, so if there's enemy pets or minions about, you can strike them to escape. The W should be nerfed a little bit, but gain an active. (Idea: Phase Wall: Enemies within a square are knocked toword you to the edge of the AoE and take light magic damage.)

CampinScrub

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShieldandCann0n View Post
Not bad. The Q should target one thing, so if there's enemy pets or minions about, you can strike them to escape. The W should be nerfed a little bit, but gain an active. (Idea: Phase Wall: Enemies within a square are knocked toword you to the edge of the AoE and take light magic damage.)
I see. Perhaps his Q should be a point and click. That way you can click on which enemy you want to dash towards instead of his Q being similar to Tryndamere's Spinning Slash. As for his W I think I see where you're coming from and I think I've found a solution. Instead of Lambent Light's active giving him the bonuses to his defense I can make that it's passive ability. That is to say that Lambent Light would now have a passive and an active. It's passive would grant him a static bonus to his defenses like I suggested in the original ability but would not increase as the ability is leveled. Instead the new active's damage would scale as the ability is leveled. Now Lambent Light deals a magic damage around him similar to Rengar's W. This would give Fenris a new source of damage (magic) making him harder to deal with as the enemy will not be able to solely build armor to counter him.

The5lacker

10-29-2012

Conceptually, I'm liking the idea of a champ who just combos into ability after ability. He should have a drink with my champ Kaelen.

I think that for the time being, you should work on the base numbers and just refining the base concepts. You've got too much explanation and not enough actual content for me to mull over. I don't think he should have a "dud" ability like Lambent Light, however. Passively increasing his Armor and Resist and giving him, like, a wide, sweeping knockback would be more ideal as it would both keep its role as a defensive move and would stay more in line with his concept of flowing from attack to attack like an avalanche of steel.

CampinScrub

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5lacker View Post
Conceptually, I'm liking the idea of a champ who just combos into ability after ability. He should have a drink with my champ Kaelen.

I think that for the time being, you should work on the base numbers and just refining the base concepts. You've got too much explanation and not enough actual content for me to mull over. I don't think he should have a "dud" ability like Lambent Light, however. Passively increasing his Armor and Resist and giving him, like, a wide, sweeping knockback would be more ideal as it would both keep its role as a defensive move and would stay more in line with his concept of flowing from attack to attack like an avalanche of steel.
That is what I'm currently working on. I'm not sure if I've said it yet but I just came up with the the concept and his skills today so this is still very early in the process. I'm currently working on his base numbers. Once I finish that I'll work on the numbers for his abilities.

I've changed Lambent Light (forgot to edit it) to have an active and passive as well.