Should I play what I want to play, or what I'm apparently best at?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OrderlyAnarchist

07-05-2013

I'm approaching the level at which I can actually start to play ranked, and while I'm interested in learning to play jungle, I understand that I still have a ways to go with it. Maybe I just had terrible luck with teammates, but I always carried the early game, yet nobody could ever seem to pull through mid-late game, and I myself, despite being fed early, could never seem to properly dive the enemy carry. I'd just get tripple ult peeled and die. However, it seems that every time I play adc, which is my least played role, I do amazing. My games go 11-1, 28-1, and I carry a team, even one that's not doing to well, to a very decisive victory. I have to give props to my support for both games, as he did a very good job, but scores like that are telling me that I should be playing adc a lot more than I currently do. The only issue is that every time I play adc more than a little bit, I get bored of it.

So should I shift my focus to adc with jungle as a secondary focus? OR should I continue to work on what I want to play, and leave adc for when it's needed?

Lolking stats as proof of my recent success with adc and recent fails with jungle.

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/42853975#history

totalwar235

07-05-2013

the thing with jungling is that you are a second support with huge power early game. jungle and support are not meant to carry the team, you need to play it as such. you need to get your favorite summoner(either top, mid, or adc) fed, and i say favorite because it is your choice for who you help get fed. if someone is a jerk or doesnt know how to play focus on the other 1-2.

my tip is, if you feel like you need to carry late game and don't want to just support. go adc, but if you ever want to have a laid back game, go jungle. i dual spec in mid and jungle because i don't always like to carry or i feel like with whom i am playing i need to carry.

DrThunderDoom

07-05-2013

If you really want to test our jungle and improve yourself I'd say stick with normal games until you feel confident about pressuring lanes and your role overall.

Also if you really want to jump into rank you always could do both: play ranked as ADC and jungle in normals to you feel confident. My advice is at least dabble in other roles, preferably before ranked because more oft than not you might not get the role you wanted.

OrderlyAnarchist

07-05-2013

I actually have taken te time to learn every role, which I believe has had a hige positive impact on my game. I used to main support actually, until I got sick of constant harassment from people who didn't understand that I couldn't have a bulwark fifteen minutes in and still properly ward... And that I couldn't afford to keep six pink wards up on the map with a support income and still build the items they think I should buy. That and terrible adc's who instalocj Ashe...

Amatzikahni

07-06-2013

I find that most players stick to one specific role and get really good at it. When people coordinate in champ select, you'll typically find 2-3 players call their roles since that's what they play in nearly every game. It's good to have a solid base to work from in each role, but if you want to seriously advance in rating, you should learn to play the roles that few people play or the roles that have the most influence on the game. If you're "stuck" somewhere and aren't carrying 70%+ of your games, then it's best to diversify and start picking up multiple champs in each role until you have enough game sense and mechanics to start advancing again. But when you do start noticing that you're far above the competition, pick the most influential roles (mid and jungle) so that you can snowball your teammates in addition to getting fed yourself.

I notice that very few people play support, and most people are forced into it due to pick/call order. Therefore, when I support and play with the person on my team who called ADC, we utterly dominate since I main support and our lane opponent most likely doesn't. It's easy to get your ADC fed, then just hope the rest of the team isn't far behind while you start making midgame plays (ganks, catches, resets, etc based on champ) that cause your team to win. Most supports are supports because they bring a lot to the table even without gold or levels: abuse their abilities and strengths.

However, it's perfectly ok to pick another role and get great at that. The only thing you want to be careful of is over-committing to a role to a point where you can't play anything else; when that happens and you get last pick and someone else picks your role, you don't want to be the reason that your team loses.

OrderlyAnarchist

07-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatzikahni View Post
I find that most players stick to one specific role and get really good at it. When people coordinate in champ select, you'll typically find 2-3 players call their roles since that's what they play in nearly every game. It's good to have a solid base to work from in each role, but if you want to seriously advance in rating, you should learn to play the roles that few people play or the roles that have the most influence on the game. If you're "stuck" somewhere and aren't carrying 70%+ of your games, then it's best to diversify and start picking up multiple champs in each role until you have enough game sense and mechanics to start advancing again. But when you do start noticing that you're far above the competition, pick the most influential roles (mid and jungle) so that you can snowball your teammates in addition to getting fed yourself.

I notice that very few people play support, and most people are forced into it due to pick/call order. Therefore, when I support and play with the person on my team who called ADC, we utterly dominate since I main support and our lane opponent most likely doesn't. It's easy to get your ADC fed, then just hope the rest of the team isn't far behind while you start making midgame plays (ganks, catches, resets, etc based on champ) that cause your team to win. Most supports are supports because they bring a lot to the table even without gold or levels: abuse their abilities and strengths.

However, it's perfectly ok to pick another role and get great at that. The only thing you want to be careful of is over-committing to a role to a point where you can't play anything else; when that happens and you get last pick and someone else picks your role, you don't want to be the reason that your team loses.
I do have a few friends that are like that, in that they can only play a few things. It can be very frustrating to play with them because they always instalock their top lane champ and everybody else had to play around that. Somebody else inevitably wants top as well, and you get stuck with a dual top lane and never get to play jungle XD.

I do still find myself playing support quite a bit, but I try to avoid it if I'm supporting people I don't know, at least until I reach a level where I know the people I'm supporting will at least be competent.

Having influence over the game is actually the reason I picked up jungling XD. I play quite a bit of Lux mid as well and find that her roam/ganks can be very deadly.

My last few games jungling have actually gone quite well, which has been quite encouraging. I've still got a few levels to go before I hit 30, and my rune pages aren't quite where I want them to be either, so I think I'll continue to focus on my jungle, while keeping up practice with the other lanes as well. If I can't get jungle, I generally offer to fill for the team, as that seems to promote communication and goodwill between teammates, and that can only be beneficial.

Thank you for your words of advice everybody. I think you've definitely helped me making some decisions, in addition to some tactical choices as well.

Sylvr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-06-2013

To answer your original question: Have fun first. To some people, winning is what makes the game fun, or winning is more important to them than fun, and so, playing what they feel gives them the best chance at winning is the obvious option for them. To others, however, they have more fun with something that they don't have the best record with. It might be specific champions (I love playing Shaco, even though I'm not as good with him, and he doesn't fit into as many team comps, as many of the Tank junglers that I main), or it might be a specific role.

If you're not having fun, then there is no point in playing the game. However, if you're not going to put winning first, then you should stick to Normals instead of Ranked. That's one of the great things about LoL- they have game-modes to accommodate both types.

I would recommend playing what you like to play in Normals until it becomes your best role. After that, there's no pressure to play something uninteresting because you're "better" at it. This is basically what I do to add more champions to my pool. I judge what champions I can play well enough to go Ranked, and then I go play Normals and target a number of other champions until they get to that point.