Has Riot Ever

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SaintPinHead

10-29-2012

I'm just curious if Riot has ever taken any of this serious. I understand that in the sticky post, that Riot states we should do this for a creative outlet, and not to get our ideas put in the game. It just makes me wonder if they even come in and see what the community is thinking would be good ideas for potential future projects.

In addition, does Riot comment on anything in these threads. Not that I would expect them to constantly post on everything that people think up. It would be nice to hear back on some of them though. The information could be constructive, and help the community understand better how Riot would alter things.

Being that Riot actually is one of the biggest companies that give feedback for threads, than most companies I know, I just think they would want to share that with the creative fans as well. I'm not expecting Riot to start picking up any of the ideas, but if nothing else, they could support us with a little communication.

What does the creative community think on this, and does anyone have any feedback on any of the questions?

The5lacker

10-29-2012

They made Volibear, and even if they don't take anything seriously, it's mostly just a thought excersise. Trying to go through the same process as Riot does and make a champion who is both balanced and interesting is a lot of fun, especially for us creative types.

Éidolon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPinHead View Post
I'm just curious if Riot has ever taken any of this serious. I understand that in the sticky post, that Riot states we should do this for a creative outlet, and not to get our ideas put in the game. It just makes me wonder if they even come in and see what the community is thinking would be good ideas for potential future projects.

In addition, does Riot comment on anything in these threads. Not that I would expect them to constantly post on everything that people think up. It would be nice to hear back on some of them though. The information could be constructive, and help the community understand better how Riot would alter things.

Being that Riot actually is one of the biggest companies that give feedback for threads, than most companies I know, I just think they would want to share that with the creative fans as well. I'm not expecting Riot to start picking up any of the ideas, but if nothing else, they could support us with a little communication.

What does the creative community think on this, and does anyone have any feedback on any of the questions?
I'm fairly new to this community however I can come up with a few explanation with their involvement with the boards and I've actually heard that Volibear was a community concept at first? As well as Arcade Sona and Pool Party Ziggs. So there definitely is a sliver of hope for the community.

Reading the sticky, essentially what I got from it was that they love seeing and reading concepts, and sometimes they may take inspiration from here. However it seems to me that it unlikely they would consider any concept on here unless they absolutely love it and it somehow revolved around their current agenda. I believe that when RiotAmes states "The goal should not be to have Riot take your idea and put it into the game." he doesn't imply that you shouldn't commit yourself fully to your work and ultimately strive to make a Champion viable enough, but they don't want the community to waste their precious time and talents if it won't work out for them, avoiding any sort of disappointment.

Even in my 3 months of being active on this board I have realized how much time and thought it actually takes to create a really alluring polished Champion. Luckily for me I have a lot of spare time on my hands, and even if a concept of mine isn't taken as even inspiration I can actually say that I have acquired and developed an innate ability to spot and nurture good ideas and I'm even more creative than I was three months ago.

There are valuable skills and assets which can eventually be adapted to other projects and every-day life. Skills which are learned here... whether it be artistic ability, balance, story-telling ect. You can always adapt what you learn here on the boards in your every day life. To me, that's what really makes it worth while. Riot viewing my concepts is an honor, a perk if anything and I can ultimately hope that i inspire them as I sometimes do my own self.

Riot can't be expected to give any sort of feed-back. I mean, it's their passion... they can take any Champion Concept and eventually make it viable if they please, so for them to comment or provide feedback wouldn't make any sense. If they feel a Champion is worth the feedback then they most definitely would just rather publish the Champion themselves.

This is where the community comes in; to learn and evolve outside the company of Riot. My belief to achieving success however is to learn how to be your worst and best critique. Self-development and growth to me are the most important.

If you want your Champion to stand out among the rest of the concepts to gain Riot's interest you have to create a unique Champion that Riot cannot refuse, leave them absolutely no room to have any creative input and or criticism by creating the most unique and well polished Champion you can think of that belongs in the league not just by design but that fills in the missing pieces to the puzzle of the lore. Aim for something that expands their horizons as a company and/or inspires growth within the company and game.

That to me, is constructive conceptualizing.

Essentially, make yourself their cancer. In the most metaphorically positive way and catch them by surprise.

This is my mind-state, I believe everyone has their own unique way to work and operate and should ultimately carry themselves how they feel deep down inside works. Listen to your heart and make it beat to the rhythm of the League.

PeachySauce

10-29-2012

Despite putting in an immense amount of time thought and polish to my concept. Not to brag but, probably the most I've ever seen on this board. There has been little interest show by the community. Riot has taken some ideas from this section, and has created some things that allude to the inclusion in the near future, look at pool party Ziggs art, it's pretty much full of fan submitted ideas. As Eidolon said, you have to put a lot in, though I don't agree with the statement that it has to be entirely polished and leave no room for criticism or creative input. I think the idea of a community is to have that feedback and conversation to improve what you have. I think you really have to get the Riot team excited about an idea. Yes, they may not take your idea completely, every detail but the concept?
Why not, and I think they have done that plenty.
If you want to check out a champ concept with a TON of detail check out: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2479444
Not even a whisper from Riot and hardly anything from the community. If you really want to be successful: Do it because you love it. Do your best because you love it. Be able to change it because you love it. Don't be afraid and don't get attached because you love it. There is always another idea. Keep up the passion and who knows what could happen.

Éidolon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachySauce View Post
Despite putting in an immense amount of time thought and polish to my concept. Not to brag but, probably the most I've ever seen on this board. There has been little interest show by the community. Riot has taken some ideas from this section, and has created some things that allude to the inclusion in the near future, look at pool party Ziggs art, it's pretty much full of fan submitted ideas. As Eidolon said, you have to put a lot in, though I don't agree with the statement that it has to be entirely polished and leave no room for criticism or creative input. I think the idea of a community is to have that feedback and conversation to improve what you have. I think you really have to get the Riot team excited about an idea. Yes, they may not take your idea completely, every detail but the concept?
Why not, and I think they have done that plenty.
If you want to check out a champ concept with a TON of detail check out: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2479444
Not even a whisper from Riot and hardly anything from the community. If you really want to be successful: Do it because you love it. Do your best because you love it. Be able to change it because you love it. Don't be afraid and don't get attached because you love it. There is always another idea. Keep up the passion and who knows what could happen.

Ouu I like. Especially the dedicated website and layout. Nice models too... See if I was Riot I would def be a lot more drawn to Geldar